2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1715256 07/17/11 07:38 PM
R
OP Offline
R
of only about a few... gotta do more writing. I know there's more in here.
http://youtu.be/TFEamOYVbf8
just gotta keep at it... -sousa

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Nice job sousa. A lot of really interesting harmonies and textures here.

I would have liked to hear more harmonic development than just repeating the same eight-bar pattern throughout the entire piece. This is in effect a passacaglia, and, as Bach and Brahms both knew, they can be hard to pull off, and require great overall planning to avoid repetitiveness. You have such a well-developed harmonic ear; why limit yourself to a single repeated chord progression?

I found your right-hand textures and harmonies, though, to be rich and beautiful. Do write more, please.

-Jason

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Yes, there are some nice things in there! But why put it on YouTube with the comment "...played hesitantly and a bit sloppily by the composer"? If you're not satisfied with the performance, practice and do it better before showing it to the world!

R
OP Offline
R
thanks for the words... I am ok with my performance of it,albeit imperfect. The idea of that ground bass was done completely with improvisation in mind, because one of my mentors wanted to possibly do this composition in one of his recitals as arranged for 2 pianos, and an a-moll deal like this can make for a vehicle built for plenty of improv. Yes, it wasn't completely in the fingers and the natural rit. that happened as a result of struggling to read my very own voicings caused a greater emphasis on the reharm-ed original 8 bars [at its conclusion] that added some more emphasis and tension upon my own re-hearing, thus justifying that previously unintended rit. One can tell that I can rationalize many things in this harmonically twisted brain- that's ok too, up to a point. I just try not to take myself so seriously all the time, and I am quite happy to poke fun at self. But yeah, practice will always be the way to go... I have a feeling that if I do it once again it will get edited and become something else entirely... time will tell. Thanks.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I enjoyed much about this piece. It has some of the most interesting harmonies I've heard composed by any PW member. I was going to suggest finding ways to change the texture. As others said it essentially a set of variations, but without much variation. This could be so interesting if you really worked on finding variations. Here you just find modest shifts in shading, nothing really different. It's OK as far as it goes, but do you really want your music to be just OK?

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
J
J
I really like what you have going on here. I have a lot of Ideas that I would like to suggest for you Nothing too significant (You have done all the hard work already, this is truly fantastic in my opinion) but just some thoughts that you may or may not find useful. I'll send you a PM.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission