2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (aphexdisklavier, bilb, Chris Leslie, 24000rpm, CharlesXX, 1957, Animisha, CianistAndPomposer, 9 invisible), 457 guests, and 387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wayne32yrs

Aren't you tempted just to submit something that you can already play, and just try and do a good job of it? (Same question to you Casinitaly)

I'm considering doing that, as I originally planned to play Rob Dougan's Clubbed to death, but I'm not really that happy with it, so may resort to playing Radiohead's Creep, least I can play that well(ish).

It's like 'cos I've participated in the May recital, I don't want to miss out!

Wayne, you are encouraging me to reconsider. I do have a couple of pieces I love to play. I'll play "Prelude in G minor," by J.S. Bach. Thanks for the idea!

Carl

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thats the sprirt smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I will NOT miss the August one that's for sure. Going to try to get some choices down for recording and I also got a new "wide angle" lens I'm looking to try out on the Flip video.

Been super busy with work/life but have still been trying to get 30mins of (somewhat) useful practice in each day..

Missed you guys and will hopefully be back to more regular posting/activities/participation soon..
thumb
Steve

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[quote=casinitaly] Hey Mr. Super-Hunky, Looking forward to your new piece - what ever happened to the tear-jerker you promised me ???
wink

Well, to be honest, I did learn several pieces I was (and still can) play for you but I'm not sure if they qualify as "tear jerkers". I tried to think of the sappiest tunes I could think of and just make a big joke out of it. The problem is after learning some of these tunes, I actually started enjoying playing them and no longer want to make a joke out of playing them.

The songs I'm talking about are:

1.) Color my World...Chicago (Jimmy Pankow)
2.) Mandy.... Barry Manilow
3.) Send in the Clowns... Stephen Sondheim

Maybe I'll just mush them together in some kind of sappy medly, I'm not sure. I need to get this debt off the books however so lets do something. Cheryl, your call. What will it be?

Last edited by mr_super-hunky; 07/16/11 01:32 PM.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Hey Mr. Super-Hunky, Looking forward to your new piece - what ever happened to the tear-jerker you promised me ???

wink

Well, to be honest, I did learn several pieces I was (and still can) play for you but I'm not sure if they qualify as "tear jerkers". I tried to think of the sappiest tunes I could think of and just make a big joke out of it. The problem is after learning some of these tunes, I actually started enjoying playing them and no longer want to make a joke out of playing them.

The songs I'm talking about are:

1.) Color my World...Chicago (Jimmy Pankow)
2.) Mandy.... Barry Manilow
3.) Send in the Clowns... Stephen Sondheim

Maybe I'll just mush them together in some kind of sappy medly, I'm not sure. I need to get this debt off the books however so lets do something. Cheryl, your call. What will it be?

Pretty please: Colour My World. Not a tear jerker, but it was THE song to finish up school dances when I was in highschool... You can take me on a trip down memory lane smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
My tune will hopefully be ready for the recital.... eek I had one in the works, but changed my mind this last week, so we'll see.

Mr. Super H, of those 3 "sappy" (as you call them) choices, mine would be "Send in The Clowns", but since you promised Cheryl, I think she takes precedence. smile

**Good to see Ttigg will be here, too!

Last edited by CMohr; 07/16/11 08:18 PM.

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Could someone please tell what is the difference (if any) between the ABF recital and the one at Pianist Corner? I apologize for my ignorance before hand. blush

Be careful about wanting to reach the top because once you are at the top, the only place left to go is down.

[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The biggest difference is the attitude. Honestly, that's it. The rest is personal preference. Abilities are all over the map but if you follow a particular performer in the ABF over time you can actually hear their progress. That's kind of cool to do.

Also, refreshments at our recital are not served afterwards because everyone usually shows up loaded anyway.

The biggest difference is the attitude. Honestly, that's it. The rest is personal preference.

Thank you! I think that I understand.

Also, refreshments at our recital are not served afterwards because everyone usually shows up loaded anyway.

That accounts for the great performances that I have heard so far. laugh

Be careful about wanting to reach the top because once you are at the top, the only place left to go is down.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The biggest difference is the attitude.

The biggest difference might be in the commentary - here in the ABF we typically try to ignore flaws in performance (if any laugh ) and find something good to say about each submission (even if we have to stretch a little to find it) in order to encourage, while "over there" it's often the opposite - they tend to ignore the best parts of a performance (if any laugh ) and go out of their way to find flaws, no matter how trivial (even if they have to make it up) in order to discourage. smile

This is all very general and largely unsubstantiated, and there are, of course, refreshing exceptions...

Trap

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
haha I've only been in one recital at Pianist Corner and for my piece and all the others I looked at there were only positive responses. It was very different to how it is if you post a piece in Members' Recordings. But maybe that recital was different.

The main significant difference is that pianist cornerers show up in satin gowns, lounge suits, tiaras and crampons, the ABFers wear speedos, goggles and flippers etc

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn
The biggest difference might be in the commentary - here in the ABF we typically try to ignore flaws in performance (if any laugh ) and find something good to say about each submission (even if we have to stretch a little to find it) in order to encourage, while "over there" it's often the opposite - they tend to ignore the best parts of a performance (if any laugh ) and go out of their way to find flaws, no matter how trivial (even if they have to make it up) in order to discourage. smile

Now I know that I understand! shocked Thank you! I thought that it had to do with the difficulty (or grade level) of the pieces presented. What you mentioned is scary. eek

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Canonie
The main significant difference is that pianist cornerers show up in satin gowns, lounge suits, tiaras and crampons, the ABFers wear speedos, goggles and flippers etc

haI did get a mental picture of satin gowns and tiaras. I have not worn speedos in 40 years, so I shall pass on that one. Goggles and flippers I can do. laugh

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie

smile That's only Mr SH & we wouldn't think of infringing on his exclusive "outfit rights" - but Mr SH does personify another major difference with his quick and keen sense of humor, which you'll find in abundant supply "over here", while "over there" it's a rare commodity indeed, and when discovered is usually the unintended consequence of some unfortunate post being totally unencumbered by the thought process...

Trap

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
My piece is coming along and this time it will be a Super-Hunky original!

It will have very dramatic and unique melodies that will mesmerize you and put you in a trance. I promise; you'll see.
Only thing is I need to think of some gimmick that will make everyone want to listen. Then again, maybe I just did. hmmm.

Anyway, I try and perform tunes that have melodies that are very dramatic, sometimes haunting. I tried to incorporte these same sounds into my original piece that has no name yet but I'll think of something. I could go with some corny typical new-age name like "Gentle Sunsets" or "Soothing Memories" or something like that but it just sounds so drippy. Who knows, I'll come up with something.

Looking forward to your original, but in a way, most of yours are original.
BTW you and Monica were "in the gossip" at our party yesterday... most of it was good! smile

I will NOT miss the August one that's for sure. Going to try to get some choices down for recording and I also got a new "wide angle" lens I'm looking to try out on the Flip video.

Been super busy with work/life but have still been trying to get 30mins of (somewhat) useful practice in each day..

Missed you guys and will hopefully be back to more regular posting/activities/participation soon..
thumb
Steve

It's about time!

Mr. Super H, of those 3 "sappy" (as you call them) choices, mine would be "Send in The Clowns", but since you promised Cheryl, I think she takes precedence. smile

+1

Best quote ever! laugh

For me, I have just about got Chopin's Prelude #20 pounded into shape. It has been a stretch for me and with my hands, I mean that figuratively.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
I am not submitting anything this time. My work is too crazy right now to do anything else. The best I could do is to find practice room in a city I happened to be in in a given week (feel like a travelling sales man). I am content with the fact that I am not quitting. I practiced almost every day while on the road for an hour or so. Had practice in front of the public (piano store, lounges, etc) so it's not an ideal situation. I felt compeled to play scales and hannons beautifully since I was doing in front of people. It was not ideal but funny. To please the crowd (or not to annoy the crowd) I arranged scales similar motion to contrary to back to similar motion adding some basic dianmics to it along with the contour of the music. Some people thought it sounded so good (lol). I hope I could participate an ABF recital again... maybe the latter part of next year. I know the craziness will last for an year at least. I will be looking forward to listening to everyone.

I may re-record the piece that I did last year for the Schuman e-recital. I have worked on a Chopin Nocturne, Bethoven Sonata, and most recently Faure's "Song Without Words". However, I do not have the time to polish them for recording.
Dot

[Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I have a pretty satisfying recording smile It has quite some mistakes but I like the overall picture. I can't say it has not been performed here before though laugh

When exactly opens the recital? August 1?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
C
C
I'm planning Schubert Op. 9 waltzes Nos. 1-3 that I played in a June competition, meaning I'd better record now before I forget them. eek

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
ABF Recitals: [Linked Image]x9 — Studio Recitals: x17
[Linked Image][Linked Image]*
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Strings & Wood
For me, I have just about got Chopin's Prelude #20 pounded into shape. It has been a stretch for me and with my hands, I mean that figuratively.

I look forward to your playing, Mr. Strings & Wood. I love Prelude No. 20.

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Built in speaker or external steron peakers
by Jojovan - 04/18/21 07:09 AM
Heintzman at the White House?
by Retsacnal - 04/18/21 12:43 AM
Yamaha p45 vs YDP 144 vs Roland rp102
by Shortshoppy - 04/17/21 11:48 PM
Action Regulation on 1982 Steinway B
by Harpuia - 04/17/21 11:34 PM
Estonia pianos though the years?
by PeterV73 - 04/17/21 10:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,370
Posts3,083,696
Members101,224
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission