2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (EinLudov, 24000rpm, 1957, ejlamas, Chris888, ando, Animisha, CianistAndPomposer, 10 invisible), 512 guests, and 446 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
OP Offline
H
Hi!

This is my first post on the forum. I'm not a native English speaker, so please forgive any errors.

I just bought a KAWAI CA63 and I love it, and it sound very good. With what volume level do you usually play without headphones ?

When I rise the volume below 50%, if I play hard low notes, I hear like a vibration. Even whith a volume of 100%, I can not hear any hiss, so this is not the hiss problem others have described. What I experiment is an vibration, like there is something loose, is this normal at high volume levels?, can you play forte at 100% volume with perfect sound?

Thanks!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't have such a problem. Check if that is a resonance coming from a loose object nearby. I've had similar problems with CD cases and other objects in the room.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
C
C
Hardwired, make sure the piano isn't too close to the wall. I had the same problem with my CA-93 and moved it about 16 cm from the wall to cure the issue. Hope this helps.

Yamaha CP4, Kawai CA93, Yamaha MODX8, EV ZXA1
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't like the sound from the speakers on my CA63 too. The sound is very poorly EQ-ed and too bassy. Please note that I am not talking about resonances because the sound is otherwise clean. The difference between the sound from the speakers and headphones is really huge and I am not able to correct by using the EQ settings. Maybe the speakers and the amp are just bad. I am kind of sorry I didn't buy the MP10 instead taking in mind MP10 has also some of CA63 issues fixed (like silent key press, string/damper resonance through MIDI, etc). At least CA63 is very beautiful but it's a shame to have that beast in my room and to have to play it only through headphones frown

Last edited by CyberGene; 07/15/11 08:11 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
H
OP Offline
H
Thanks Coker and CyberGene.

I have tried to move it away from the wall, with no positive effect. There are some objects nearby, some of them dancing along with the music wink but they are not the culprit.

For me, the kawai sounds good, maybe a bit bassy. The problem arise when the I set the volume above ~50%. Oh well, My wife says that I am being a bit picky with that. I don't know if this is normal, in your case the sound is clean up to 100% volume ?

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I don't like the sound from the speakers on my CA63 too. The sound is very poorly EQ-ed and too bassy. Please note that I am not talking about resonances because the sound is otherwise clean. The difference between the sound from the speakers and headphones is really huge and I am not able to correct by using the EQ settings. Maybe the speakers and the amp are just bad. I am kind of sorry I didn't buy the MP10 instead taking in mind MP10 has also some of CA63 issues fixed (like silent key press, string/damper resonance through MIDI, etc). At least CA63 is very beautiful but it's a shame to have that beast in my room and to have to play it only through headphones frown

Wow ... I know exactly what you mean.

I just purchased a CA-63 and am busy trying to get a sound through the speakers that I can live with. So far, I have been unsuccessful. I am considering other options, like attaching external monitors to it. I am awaiting feedback on this site about that option.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Focal Professional CMS 40 monitors
C
C
Guys, I confirmed that my CA-93 doesn't distort all the way to 100% volume. However, I also note that 100% volume is MUCH louder than any acoustic grand I have ever played. I normally play at about 40%, but I have to boost it above that point when I wear headphones.

Yamaha CP4, Kawai CA93, Yamaha MODX8, EV ZXA1
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Usually I set the volume to max. 4 when I play by loudspeaker, that's more than loud enough for me and absolutely clean (I can feel a resonance with my fingers, but that is a desired behavior). I can boost the volume all the way up to 10 without resonances (maybe the sound is a little bit distorted then), but 10 is waaay too loud for me, that's much more than a regular piano.

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by CyberGene

I am kind of sorry I didn't buy the MP10 instead taking in mind MP10 has also some of CA63 issues fixed (like silent key press, string/damper resonance through MIDI, etc)

I hope that this issues will be fixed through firmare update soon ... please Kawai

I am afraid that I have some problem with the amp. Without playing any note, there is no hiss. But, when I play a key, there is a shhh that sound along with the note. I have read that others have similar experiences ...

Thanks to all

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Hardwired

Originally Posted by Hardwired
I am afraid that I have some problem with the amp. Without playing any note, there is no hiss.

I don't believe there is an amplifier problem - you would likely hear hiss/noise at all times if this was the case.

there is a shhh that sound along with the note.

I have read that others have similar experiences.

It would be useful if you could please provide references.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
H
OP Offline
H
Hi Kawai James, thanks you for your response. I am refering to this thread .
Maybe you are right and there is no problem with the amp. What I hear plays along with the piano sound, with headphones the sound is clear and beautiful. I love my Ca63 and normally I play with headphones, but this sound is worrying me.

Hardwired, if you believe there is an issue with your instrument, I would recommend contacting the dealer from where it was purchased.

You may also wish to double check that the instrument is using the latest (v1.07) software by holding the ORGAN, HARPSI&MALLETS, and STRINGS while turning the instrument on.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
H
OP Offline
H
@KawaiJames Yes, the piano already comes with v1.07. The piano passed QA on November 2010. And I have to say that I love the piano, it would be perfect if I get fixed this issue.

I have discovered that my piano lacks two screws on the back side. Maybe this is causing some vibrations, I hope this is the problem. I have contacted my dealer, he assembled the piano. He says he will search for them.

Thanks to all

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Built in speaker or external steron peakers
by Jojovan - 04/18/21 07:09 AM
Heintzman at the White House?
by Retsacnal - 04/18/21 12:43 AM
Yamaha p45 vs YDP 144 vs Roland rp102
by Shortshoppy - 04/17/21 11:48 PM
Action Regulation on 1982 Steinway B
by Harpuia - 04/17/21 11:34 PM
Estonia pianos though the years?
by PeterV73 - 04/17/21 10:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,370
Posts3,083,716
Members101,227
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission