2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 53 of 140 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 139 140
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by knotty
>> Can 2 people play at once ? Like if you and Dave were to do a duet.
I assume yes, but I don't know how the lag is. If you wanna give it a shot, we can.

Great idea Knots. I know you do a great improv over Scrapple from the Apple. We can try this song - I can use Dave's chord voicings and tune, while you solo.

Hey Scot
Are you still around ? I don't know what level you're at but you're welcome to try with Knots, and I'll just sit out during the hang-out.

Hey 10
I've disappeared from your circle. Please add me.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Everyone here uses the Realbooks 1 and 2. Sometimes 3.

Is that this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...amp;pf_rd_p=247518427&pf_rd_i=468294

However, I am trying to get away from playing tunes I have not memorized.

That could end up being a bit limiting. wink

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by custard apple

Hey 10
I've disappeared from your circle. Please add me.

Goodness! I had no idea I had a circle. I'm afraid I don't know how to add someone. Listen, I think I need to start from scratch and read the posts from while I was away. Carefully this time.

Edit: First thing, do we each need to have circles with each other in them, or can just one of us have a JOI circle and invite the others?

Second thing: a hangout is not the same as a circle. Not quite sure how they relate.

I am available on Sunday to try a get-together, not Saturday. Anyone else got time on Sunday?

Last edited by ten left thumbs; 07/13/11 04:36 AM.
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Yup, Sunday is fine with me.

S
S

Hey Scot
Are you still around ? I don't know what level you're at but you're welcome to try with Knots, and I'll just sit out during the hang-out.

Still here. knotty and I jammed a little over the weekend. Just a few choruses over a blues, but he can probably give an estimation of my level. I'd say intermediate to advanced-intermediate.

As far as real books, I have the Sher volumes. Then I also have the OLD real books that used to be just passed around. They're, like, the worst ever for accuracy, but the best ever for tune/standard/repertoire inclusion.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>>Is that this one?
>>http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/06340...;pf_rd_i=468294
That's the version in Bb. For piano, get the one in C.

Circles are something that everyone has, but noone shares. If Laura adds me to a circle, then I will see the posts that you share with that circle.
If I add you to a circle, you will see the post that I share with that circle.
It's not like friends where it goes both ways.

I created a JOI circle and added the folks from here.

I also have family circles, acquaintance, etc... You can have people in all the circles you want.

I'm here Sunday.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
OK. Please someone check my geography and calculations.

9am for knotty (New York) will be 11pm for custard (Sydney) and 2pm for me (UK summertime). Scot, are you in the same zone as knotty? Time flies, I think that's 4pm for you - I don't know if you're working or able to join us. If Sunday doesn't suit, we can do a different day on a different occasion. Norman - your profile says 'PA' but I have no idea where that is. Wanna join?

Have I missed anyone? As ever, we can PM in case anyone wants to give an email, but not post it publicly to the world.

Dave, you are very welcome to join us, but we totally understand if you have more exciting things to do on a Sunday morning. wink

It would be exciting if we really can play together. smile

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
keep me in the loop, I'll look forward to connecting a little down the road.

DF

N
N
Yes, PA stands for Pennsylvania, a suburb of New York. I'd be happy to join in, whether hanging out in the circle, or merely circling the hangout.

Last edited by Norman Cotterell; 07/13/11 05:31 PM.

Every disease is a musical problem. Its cure, a musical solution. -- Novalis
S
S
Yup. I'm ET, too (same as PA and NY).

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by scotpgot

Hey Scot

Still here. knotty and I jammed a little over the weekend. Just a few choruses over a blues, but he can probably give an estimation of my level. I'd say intermediate to advanced-intermediate.

Cool ! Can't wait to hear you and Knots jam.
But I think I should go 1st as I haven't jammed before. A hangout session should get better and better IMO rather than go downhill.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>>>>However, I am trying to get away from playing tunes I have not memorized.
>>That could end up being a bit limiting.
I don't really think so. I think we forget to memorize tunes, and that's why we don't. The most complex tune shouldn't take more than a day or 2 to memorize, if you actually work on memorizing it.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
>>>>However, I am trying to get away from playing tunes I have not memorized.
>>That could end up being a bit limiting.
I don't really think so. I think we forget to memorize tunes, and that's why we don't. The most complex tune shouldn't take more than a day or 2 to memorize, if you actually work on memorizing it.

Interesting. I have never worked on memorizing. When I played classically I memorized without trying and ended up relying on muscle memory. Sight-reading skills were appalling. That's one reason I try now to keep moving on to the next thing. But it does mean I rely on the music...

One thing I noticed, taking a break and coming back to it, is that I can sometimes play the LH chords without notes. When I compose, I just write in the chords. There are a very few I need to go back and learn, most I just play. I haven't made any effort to memorize these.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> But I think I should go 1st as I haven't jammed before. A hangout session should get better and better IMO rather than go downhill.
You're funny!
So is that what we're going to try and do? Jam?

I think the big difference between memorizing classical and chord changes is the difficulty. How difficult is it to learn the changes to Autumn Leaves, the Blues, What is this thing called love, and even All the things you are?
It doesn't take that much. It's very little information. Autumn leaves is 251 in Bb, followed by 251 in G-. Remember how many times each come (or just sing the melody in your head), and you've got it memorized. You don't need any book for that.
Even difficult ones like Giant Steps. If you need the book for it, you're better off not playing it, don't you think?

That said, just knowing the changes doesn't mean you've internalized them. That takes a little bit more time.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
An attempt at some Clifford Brown. Gotta keep myself busy ...

[video:youtube]Al_bQa1ff3c[/video]

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
>> But I think I should go 1st as I haven't jammed before. A hangout session should get better and better IMO rather than go downhill.
You're funny!
So is that what we're going to try and do? Jam?

Whatever you wish Knotty. Thanks for adding everyone to your JOI circle and for hosting it.
A friend who composes House music said inevitably there will be a time lag, I think he said a few milliseconds. We can test whether you can live with it when jamming.
Otherwise you and Scot can trade 4s or solo.

Your Clifford Brown is impressive. I've just started singing Fats Navarro, I love it. I noticed my next master is Clifford Brown and I'm really looking forward to it.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
An attempt at some Clifford Brown. Gotta keep myself busy ...

[video:youtube]Al_bQa1ff3c[/video]

That's impressive knotty! You're his shadow. A while ago I wouldn't have realised how much time it takes to do that. Now, to really keep yourself busy, you could do another recording at 70% speed. wink

I've been doing some shadowing on guitar, as well as the JOI sing-along. It is very, very time-consuming.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T

I think the big difference between memorizing classical and chord changes is the difficulty. How difficult is it to learn the changes to Autumn Leaves, the Blues, What is this thing called love, and even All the things you are?
It doesn't take that much. It's very little information. Autumn leaves is 251 in Bb, followed by 251 in G-. Remember how many times each come (or just sing the melody in your head), and you've got it memorized. You don't need any book for that.
Even difficult ones like Giant Steps. If you need the book for it, you're better off not playing it, don't you think?

Interesting perspective. Memorizing classical took no time at all. Learning to play it, was another story. wink Memorizing jazz - maybe I'll try and see how close I already am.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> Interesting perspective. Memorizing classical took no time at all. Learning to play it, was another story. Memorizing jazz - maybe I'll try and see how close I already am.
Take a simple tune you're learning, and make it a point to memorize the chord changes. I bet it won't take you more than 5 minutes.
If you recall it every week for 3 or 4 weeks, I think you will never forget it again.

>> Now, to really keep yourself busy, you could do another recording at 70% speed.
For playing, 70% is actually much easier, that's where I start and I slowly move it up to 100%. Played at about 90%, I'm a lot closer to him. But at 70%, you can really hear all the nuances he plays much more clearly. He will often lay back on a couple notes. There's a lot more to this little exercise than meets the eye. But strictly from a technique / speed point of view, it's a good exercise. The jumps are not easy and some fingering is very tricky. It's as if this wasn't written for piano!!

Where are you on your compositions 10 ?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T

It's as if this wasn't written for piano!!

No kidding. wink

Where are you on your compositions 10 ?

Good question. I should compose. I think it's Froggy Day next.

Page 53 of 140 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 139 140

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission