Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
103 registered members (AnnInMiami, AZNpiano, Bett, AWilley, ADWyatt, Ajal, 31 invisible), 1,307 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Buying piano in few hours - urgent advice,please! [Re: turandot] #1711071
07/11/11 12:11 AM
07/11/11 12:11 AM
New Mexico
C
cessnaurina Offline
cessnaurina  Offline
C

New Mexico
Originally Posted by turandot
Originally Posted by Yours Truly
Thanks,
My poor old Petrof grand fell into neglect when I was abroad for several years and it breaks my heart to have lost the chemical battle against the termites that have made a home in it. Otherwise the parts still look stunning and it still sound beautiful but with sticking keys etc etc. The people I had asked about whether it can be restored said no because of the termites.
I have a budget of RM14000 max and am going to the piano sales that are currently on. Friend suggests Malaysia made Challen - I am not familiar with them.

Props to the Petrof for still sounding good!

Props indeed. Composite action on your Petrof sounds like the best solution to me. If it looks and sounds beautiful and you still like it, it is worth the maintenance, and you with end up with a nice termite resistant Petrof rather than a Challen that will most likely have wood whippens that will probably stick just as much as any whippen eaten by termites.

Mason & Hamlin A
Baldwin SF-10
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Buying piano in few hours - urgent advice,please! [Re: Yours Truly] #1711206
07/11/11 08:33 AM
07/11/11 08:33 AM
W
wouter79 Offline
5000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
W

You still have a good petrof grand and just the action is detoriating? And you love the sound? I would then probably have a new action for that.

Central air dries the air continuously as long as it is running. It is a form of humidity control.

It is not: AC gives you no control over humidity, it just keeps cooling the air with maybe drying as an (uncontrollable) side effect.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Buying piano in few hours - urgent advice,please! [Re: Yours Truly] #1711260
07/11/11 10:45 AM
07/11/11 10:45 AM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

Upright pianos are everywhere in Malaysia in the Chinese community (where for the middle class children, it's almost part of their upbringing), and very few of them are permanently in air-conditioned rooms (at least, they weren't when I visited a few years ago). The most common brand is probably Yamaha. I don't know whether the Yamahas destined for the South-East Asia market are specially treated but I've never heard of any termite infestation problems with them (actually, house lizards and their droppings are a more common sight.... grin). You won't find termites in the houses there: people walk barefeet in their homes and so the floors are always kept clean.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Buying piano in few hours - urgent advice,please! [Re: cessnaurina] #1711294
07/11/11 11:59 AM
07/11/11 11:59 AM
torrance, CA
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

torrance, CA
Hold on!

If you read the thread, the member did NOT specify where the infestation was. He wrote only....

My poor old Petrof grand fell into neglect when I was abroad for several years and it breaks my heart to have lost the chemical battle against the termites that have made a home in it. Otherwise the parts still look stunning and it still sound beautiful but with sticking keys etc etc. The people I had asked about whether it can be restored said no because of the termites.

A member from Australia wrote that he thought the termites were eating the action. I have no idea on what basis he made that comment....comparable climate, comparable experience..???

The OP, if the information he supplied is correct, is probably in KL now shopping pianos. IF he checks back into the thread, he may supply more information about where the infestation is. Until he does, there is no reason to assume that sticking keys on a neglected piano exposed to a sub-tropical environment are due to termites eating the action wood.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Re: Buying piano in few hours - urgent advice,please! [Re: Yours Truly] #1711305
07/11/11 12:24 PM
07/11/11 12:24 PM
Aachen, Germany
Jan Oliver Offline
Jan Oliver  Offline

Aachen, Germany
Hi YoursTruly,

give the Roland V-Piano a shot if you can get your hands on one. Digital, but plays more realistic than all other DPs I've tried, and at least tuning won't be an issue. Extreme humidity could still get to it of course. I posted my review here in the forums recently.

Yamaha YUS-5 SG; Roland V-Piano; Roland RD-800; Kurzweil RG-200; 1884 Bechstein upright
Re: Buying piano in few hours - urgent advice,please! [Re: Yours Truly] #1711565
07/11/11 07:19 PM
07/11/11 07:19 PM
T
TheSockPuppet Offline
TheSockPuppet  Offline
T

Claims of the extreme Asian climate are common and might be greeted with skepticism. Generally the Asian climate is little different than our own.

I have been to Singapore, at the end of Malaysia, quite a number of time. Every time I was there the weather was mild, pleasant and spring like. There was no noticeable excess humidity. There is little reason to believe that the Malaysian climate is much worse for a piano than our own.

Re: Buying piano in few hours - urgent advice,please! [Re: turandot] #1711692
07/12/11 12:59 AM
07/12/11 12:59 AM
New Mexico
C
cessnaurina Offline
cessnaurina  Offline
C

New Mexico
Originally Posted by turandot
Hold on!

A member from Australia wrote that he thought the termites were eating the action. I have no idea on what basis he made that comment....comparable climate, comparable experience..???

Our Australian friend gave wood type as a basis:

Termites prefer certain types of wood, and I think they do not eat pine/spruce/soundboards or the case (laminate) or pin block.

I do not know about the preferences of termites, but it is likely that the action contains the only non-treated wood. I think you are right to ask for more information before jumping to a conclusion since we cannot say without knowing more about those pesky termite preferences that termites gravitate toward untreated wood either (it stands to reason but much insect behavior is counter intuitive to human rational). The only specific issue on the Petrof reported by the OP is sticking keys, giving us further reason to jump to that conclusion (perhaps prematurely). Yet, there is also the "etc etc" on the end of that statement that must give us pause. While I would be curious as to where the infestation truly is, I am more curious as to why a restorer would indicate that it is not worth restoring due to termites (probably bringing us back to that etc etc.)

Eliminating termites from the equation, the choice is very clear to me. If I had a Petrof (or any piano really) that I thought sounded beautiful (I could care less about what my piano looks like, but that is just me so we will add that it looks stunning as well) I would not be out looking for cheap pianos.

Last edited by cessnaurina; 07/12/11 01:12 AM.

Mason & Hamlin A
Baldwin SF-10
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Identification of Hammers
by TimM_980. 07/17/19 10:04 PM
Piano count
by MacMacMac. 07/17/19 04:46 PM
My NU1X is soon here
by iLogic. 07/17/19 04:17 PM
Production Voices 4 pianos $59 Sale
by newer player. 07/17/19 04:11 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,051
Posts2,849,329
Members93,905
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission