2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
So I did it.

And whilst I would love to have tried two of the competitors, I'm at peace with this decision, having tried it out again with cans.

I did notice this disclaimer in the manual, and wondered whether this was a new update to cover their rear ends:

Caution when Playing Back Audio Files
Playing back an MP3 file or changing the playback tempo of an audio file places a significant processing burden on the RD-700NX, and in some cases may cause it to be unable to completely process all of the performance data from the keyboard.
If this occurs, you may be able to solve the problem by taking the following actions. • Use WAV format data rather than MP3 format data • Return the song tempo to its original setting (to 0%)

I am very grateful to the many Pianoworld contributors who have made this decision both more complex (as a result of more knowledge) and ultimately more informed than it would have been had I not found this fabulous resource.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 10fingers
So I did it.

Congratulations 10fingers! I hope it works out for you. Are you getting the 3 pedal unit too? It's not necessary but it is nifty.

DPs are all a mixed bag, but IMO the NX is kind of tough to beat. The keys are nice, the internal architecture and UI are fairly straightforward, having three different SN APs is interesting, and all the other stuff is fun to play around with. I find myself still listening to JulianMaurits's NX recordings and I'm constantly bowled over by the subtle expressiveness the NX APs and EPs are capable of (in his very capable hands!).

I really wish there was a MIDI recorder and the ability to render MIDI => WAV. I also wish it had an SN harpsichord and pipe organ, a way to save presets over the factory ones, was less long & heavy, and had a music rest, but you can't have everything it seems.

I finished the combo speaker / amp today and my wife gave it a spin. We both thought the Studio Grand sounded better - less boxy than the Concert Grand - when amplified this way. But to me the Concert Grand sounds best through headphones.

I did notice this disclaimer in the manual, and wondered whether this was a new update to cover their rear ends:

Not sure if they reworded it, but IIRC that basic statement has always been there.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Congrats ! I'm actually thinking of using some of my earmarked store credit for the Kronos and applying it towards the 700 or 300.

Playing the Kronos the other day (not from a weighted board) , I actually had more of a blast on the 300NX.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by dewster
Congratulations 10fingers! I hope it works out for you. Are you getting the 3 pedal unit too? It's not necessary but it is nifty.

Thanks, Dewster. I've no doubt that I'll love it. I wasn't planning on getting the the 3-pedal, as I have several pedals already, and it seems like an unnecessary expense right now. I don't remember which of my pedals supports half pedaling, but I'm sure that at least one does. The double pedal (bought when I was struggling with a Fatar contrller) probably does just on/off, but I think that for una corde and sostenuto that's all I need right? I've dipped into the online manual a bit (OK, a lot) and there seems to be quite a high level of control possibilities available through use of an expression pedal (continuous controller), so if you have any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them. Oh, I've just remembered - the unit ships with a cc pedal also!!

Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Congrats ! I'm actually thinking of using some of my earmarked store credit for the Kronos and applying it towards the 700 or 300.

Playing the Kronos the other day (not from a weighted board) , I actually had more of a blast on the 300NX.

Well that sounds interesting, Dave. I've heard a couple of other people say they preferred the 300 over the 700. Let us know if you go that way.

Jonathan

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congrats 10fingers!

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I think the 700NX is a great choice for someone who is primarily focused on pianos. It has a nice action and the SN pianos have a rich tone and nice detail. Just make sure to key an eye on your keytops. The 700NX at the local Guitar Center is pretty filthy like the Fantom Gs they have on the floor.

The guys over on the Korg forums are pretty dismissive about the SN pianos. While I do prefer the sound of the new Korg pianos, I think the SN pianos are impressive and certainly think the 700NX is a more appropriate board for those who are primarily focused on piano.

Last edited by Hideki Matsui; 07/10/11 08:08 PM.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Hideki Matsui
The guys over on the Korg forums are pretty dismissive about the SN pianos. While I do prefer the sound of the new Korg pianos, I think the SN pianos are impressive and certainly think the 700NX is a more appropriate board for those who are primarily focused on piano.

I'm not completely satisfied with either the Roland SN or the Kronos pianos in terms of the primary presets out of the box... but if all I cared about was piano, of the two, I'd probably pick the Roland because of the better feeling keyboard (at least based on the FP-7F I played).

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by anotherscott

I'm not completely satisfied with either the Roland SN or the Kronos pianos in terms of the primary presets out of the box... but if all I cared about was piano, of the two, I'd probably pick the Roland because of the better feeling keyboard (at least based on the FP-7F I played).

The action on the Rolands are better. The action on the Kronos is perfectly playable and responsive, but it is a bit noisy. That being said, I am accustomed to the Kronos action at this point and have no complaints about the way it performs. Did you play a weighted Kronos because there aren't many, if any, on the floor anywhere? The Kronos does come with about 10 piano presets. I like the Kronos German grand with the lid half open and damper noise reduced by a notch.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

Originally Posted by Dave Ferris

Well that sounds interesting, Dave. I've heard a couple of other people say they preferred the 300 over the 700. Let us know if you go that way.

Jonathan

Without a doubt, the 700's action is superior to the 300. Also the sound , at least through phones, is more detailed and in your face. I'm just guessing, but the 700 has probably a higher quality D/A converter or processing on the sample similar to the CP50 vs 5 sound scenario.

My CP5 isn't going anywhere, at least for the time being, so my main motivation towards the 300 is one of a portability factor. I never say never but I don't need another 55 lb. DP to haul around. Just playing the 300 twice in the last week it had a nice player connect to it. Although I feel it's a definite one trick pony just for the SN Grand.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

I think the people there are more keyboard type players interested in synth or organ stuff--not more dedicated pianist types.

That being said, I've always felt that the Roland piano sounds (in the past, can't speak about the newer SN pianos and sound focus features since I've yet to use one live) were more suited to certain types of Jazz, Classical and more lyrical pop stylings then higher volume RnR, RnB or Funk/Fusiony band scenarios.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Did you play a weighted Kronos because there aren't many, if any, on the floor anywhere?

No, I was basing the comment on playing the SV-1 which is supposed to be very similar.

Congrats 10Fingers!!! I'm certain you would love 700NX! I can perfectly relate to both the heartache from before and the calm of knowing one's choice was the correct one smile

Congrats again!
Rafa.

Roland FP-7F
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
It comes with their DP-10 pedal that supports half-damper. I just got one, too. cool

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Did you play a weighted Kronos because there aren't many, if any, on the floor anywhere?

No, I was basing the comment on playing the SV-1 which is supposed to be very similar.

Action is the same but Kronos has aftertouch. The sounds are very different, especially on the piano end.

Last edited by Hideki Matsui; 07/10/11 11:28 PM.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
M
M
10fingers. You won't regret buying the RD700NX. I've had one 4 months and I appreciate it more now than when I got it. I find the piano sounds while not the same as an acoustic piano offers a musical experience I really connect with. It is a such a joy to sit at I rarely play the acoustic upright sitting next to it. The Brilliant piano when EQed and tweaked a bit can have a woody type of piano sound with little resonance that I find great for playing jazz and rock & roll.
Adding layers or playing with a rhythm pattern are great extras to have as well. You won't regret it - Enjoy.

Roland RD700NX, Korg SV1 88.

Thank God for the gift of Music
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Action is the same but Kronos has aftertouch. The sounds are very different, especially on the piano end.

Right... Let me restate in case there was confusion... The Kronos and SN pianos sound different, and--based only on the primary presets--neither totally satisfies me. Therefore, if I were going to choose one for nothing but piano use, I'd choose based on which felt better to play.

Having played the FP-7F (to give me an idea of what the RD-700NX feels like) and the SV-1 (to give me an idea what the Kronos weighted action will feel like, even though the sound is very different), if I were going to choose between the RD-700NX and the Kronos for piano based on which felt better to play, I'd choose the Roland.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H

Right... Let me restate in case there was confusion... The Kronos and SN pianos sound different, and--based only on the primary presets--neither totally satisfies me. Therefore, if I were going to choose one for nothing but piano use, I'd choose based on which felt better to play.

Having played the FP-7F (to give me an idea of what the RD-700NX feels like) and the SV-1 (to give me an idea what the Kronos weighted action will feel like, even though the sound is very different), if I were going to choose between the RD-700NX and the Kronos for piano based on which felt better to play, I'd choose the Roland.

I was just pointing out that the sounds on the SV and Kronos are generated by different sound engines and do not sound the same at all. If you have only played the SV, it is a very different experience from playing the Kronos. That being said, I do think the action on the NX is better and think the Kronos would be wasted on most people around here who are primarily looking for a piano.

If I were solely looking for a piano for the home, I would easily choose the NX, CP or MP10 over the Kronos simply because all those boards have refined actions, less distractions and more robust construction.

Last edited by Hideki Matsui; 07/11/11 10:25 AM.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I was just pointing out that the sounds on the SV and Kronos are generated by different sound engines and do not sound the same at all.

I didn't mean to ever suggest otherwise. Only that the feel of the Kronos 88 should be expected to be very similar to the feel of the SV. Therefore you can use that as a guide as to which keyboard action you will prefer, Kronos or Roland's.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I was just pointing out that the sounds on the SV and Kronos are generated by different sound engines and do not sound the same at all.

I didn't mean to ever suggest otherwise. Only that the feel of the Kronos 88 should be expected to be very similar to the feel of the SV. Therefore you can use that as a guide as to which keyboard action you will prefer, Kronos or Roland's.

Definitely. The RH3 on the Kronos feels pretty much the same as the SV1, which isn't the greatest compliment.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
P
P
Got one of these after a lot of searching and reading advice on the forum here.

All I can say 10fingers is this: man you will not be disappointed. Its an awesome board and having tried a lot of actions, it really strikes me as realistic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission