2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Andree Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi,

I'm just about to order an imac for my music production but I have a quite odd question before I make my final decision. I intend to place the 21,5 inch computer on the top of my Kawai CA63 after dismantling the sheet music stand, but I'm not sure if the top lid is strong enough? The imac weights about 10 kg and since the aluminum stand is quite small it will not distribute the weight over a wider area. However I can also see that the piano has no support in the front, like it has in the rear. I suppose this may create bending moments which can cause damage?

Is there anyone out there with experience of this matter? Do you think the lid has enough strength to withstand the downward force without bending the structure over time?

/Andrée

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I don't know the answer, but my experience of bookcases and bookshelves made of MDF or particle board materials is that they will bend under the weight of books over time.

Maybe the CA63 lid has adequate support underneath.

An option to consider would be to place something else on top of the CA63 lid and under the iMac that distributes the weight. A real wood shelf perhaps, stained to match the colour of the CA63.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What kind of 21" monitor weighs 10 kg (22 lb) ?
Are you sure of the weight?
My 20" weighs only 12 lb.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
What kind of 21" monitor weighs 10 kg (22 lb) ?
Are you sure of the weight?
My 20" weighs only 12 lb.

That weight is about right. The iMac has the whole computer built into the monitor - it's not just a monitor with the computer sitting elsewhere.

B
B
I have a CA63 myself and have taken off the top part a couple of times. You could really think that the top lid is lying on the side parts. But beware this is not the case. If you take a close look you will see a very small gap, since the top is placed only on small metal brackets.

Honestly I would just put the PC besides the piano on a seperate table or something else. Not sure what would happen over a longer period of time.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[Linked Image]

Here's what I did for my laptop, which has since been replaced by an IMac the same size as yours.

Sandy

A
Andree Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for your answers. It seems like it's not recommended to place the computer on the top of the piano, so I guess I have to find another solution.

/Andrée

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I have a different view on this... I also own a CA63 and just checked the top - it's really very robust, I don't see a problem with placing an iMac with even 10kg of weight on top of the DP, even longterm.

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
E
E
Just a tip, if you do that, place some support in order to increase the area of surface supporting your mac.

A
Andree Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Okey, thanks.

I have just made a closer look on the structure and what surprises me is that the front part isn't actually the weakest. Since there is no support in the front I thought this was the biggest problem, but KAWAI has placed a metal strip under the top lid, formed like a square, probably to strengthen the structure. With this one I don't believe there would be any problem to have the Mac standing on the lid. It has, however, also been shown that the rear part is actually the weakest since the support is only made of thin plyfa and I don't believe this would be able to withstand the weight of the Mac. What do you think Mucci?

/Andrée

Last edited by Andree; 07/09/11 04:19 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
@Andrée, you can easily test this for yourself since you have the CA63 in front of you... Just press your arm as hard as possible on the rear of the top. There is absolutely no tendency to move, it's rock solid. I would even dare to stand on top of the DP (and I'm not the lightest man, y'know?).

A
Andree Offline OP
OP Offline
A
@mucci
Hehe, well I hope you're right. I think I have to try placing it there, if any long term effects should be observed it's just to place it somewhere else I believe =)

Andrée

T
T
Cheap L brackets from the hardware store anchored to the studs in the wall and a plank of wood or mdf. Whole set up should be under 20 bucks U.S. and strong enough for two of your computers.

However i have a CA 61, which is the same piano except for the speakers, and i personally wouldn't have a problem with putting the mac on top. It may be mdf but it is well backed and supported along the top and imo would not sag at all.

Just as a side note i have been around my dad's woodworking shops all my life and have lots of experience with mdf's strengths and shortcomings so like i said as long as the mdf is well supported it won't sag.

Charles Walter Model W (190)

“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” J.S. Bach

"I just want to know, if we came from monkeys and apes, WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS AND APES?" George Carlin
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
What's the top made of? It may feel solid, but if it's particle board (MDF) it may well 'creep' over time. Just be sure smile

B
B
Put your Mac on top and in one year we´ll get back to you smile

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Have you thought of reading the spec sheet, or asking the manufacturer?

Clef

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
OMG is it that complicated??

Andree, I don't believe there should be a problem placing your iMac on top of the CA63. Indeed, these instruments are required to support a considerable amount more weight.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
T
T
No kidding mucci +100... let's not over anal-ize this people.

Charles Walter Model W (190)

“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” J.S. Bach

"I just want to know, if we came from monkeys and apes, WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS AND APES?" George Carlin
Originally Posted by Theodore Slutz
No kidding mucci +100... let's not over anal-ize this people.
Good point. But I think it's too late. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission