2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
tygacj Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I read in this forum that the Bose L1 Compact cannot produce a stereo sound from a DP. But what if I purchase a Y-cable that converts the two L and R outs to a single trs cable such as this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Fishman-13-Fo..._5?ie=UTF8&qid=1309914502&sr=8-5

Wouldn't that create a "stereo" sound?

No, no, not at all! While a TRS connector uses the same plug as a stereo 1/4" connector, it does NOT carry stereo sound. The information sent is not that of a stereo signal. That cable will not work connected to a system receiving balanced 1/4" input.

Rafa.

Last edited by RafaPolit; 07/05/11 09:58 PM.

Roland FP-7F
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
D'oh. A TRS connector DOES carry stereo. That's why there are three conductors on the plug!

I am sorry, I was referring to a Balanced output, always have assumed that TRS stands for that in English, when, as a matter of fact, TRS is only the three-ringed connector.

Now, to rephrase in proper English what I said earlier wink :
- The 1/4" input of the L1 Compact is a TRS Balnced (or TR unbalanced) input. It will either take a mono instrument or an instrument which outputs a monophonic BALANCED output (which will use a TRS connector).
- The cable you linked before will send one signal through the tip and another through the ring (a stereo signal) which CANNOT be plugged into the 1/4" connector of the L1 Compact.
- However, if you purchase two 1/4" mono to RCA cables (like this one: Twin 1/4" to RCA Cable) you will actually be inputting a stereo signal to the L1 Compact.

Sorry for the previous language mix up, the concept was still correct smile

Rafa.

Last edited by RafaPolit; 07/05/11 11:51 PM.

Roland FP-7F
T
tygacj Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks RafaPolit for the link to the cable i need to get a stereo signal.

I just picked up the Bose L1 Compact yesterday and tried it out at my church. I plugged it its directly to a Yamaha Clav using a 1/4" TS cable. The L1 produces way too much bass! Typical of Bose speakers, they glorify the bass excessively. Although there is an equalizer for the XLR mic input Channel 1, there is no equalizer for Channel 2. Other than that, the unit was able to fill my church that seats 300 with 60% power. I will need to test it with my mixer to see if i can tone down the bass.

T
tygacj Offline OP
OP Offline
T
By the way, will the sound emitted from one (1) speaker sound better using the 1/4" L/R stereo TS cable to RCA which sends a stereo signal than using a single 1/4" mono cable which sends a mono signal? Or is there no sound difference?

It depends on your DP really... if the MONO signal sent with one single 1/4" connector is actually detecting that you have only one plug hooked in and 'mixes' down the stereo sound, then there will be no difference.

If, on the other hand, your DP is sending only the L or R channel when only one cable is hooked, then the 1/4"-RCA will give you all the frequencies of the piano.

What is your DP?

Rafa.

Last edited by RafaPolit; 07/07/11 12:14 AM.

Roland FP-7F
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
It doesn't matter what inputs you use or how many ...anything put into a L1 will be summed to Mono... it does not do stereo.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
Dr. Popper, Tygaci concern is valid though: its clear that the L1 will output a Mono signal, but if it is only input the R or L channel of a stereo signal, that signal will be lacking the information of the stereo mix! Assume you have an 70s type of duet mix when one voice was exclusively panned to the right will the second voice was panned to the left... if you input only one of those sources, the L1 will have no second voice information to sum into the Mono mix, therefore 'losing' an entire voice.

So, again, if the DP signal is summed to Mono on a single L/Mono connector like most DPs, he will not hear a difference, on the other hand, if the DP is only sending one or the other channel, he will lose the frequencies, or notes, that are panned to that channel.

Rafa.

Roland FP-7F
T
tygacj Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks again RafaPolit for your expertise. My DP is a Yamaha CP5. If i used a single 1/4" TS cable, it would plug into the DP's output that reads "L/R(mono)". I basically wanted to know if the "L/R(mono)" output would sound different than if I was to use two cables from both Left and Right outputs from my DP to the Bose L1 compact which has two, Left and Right Rca inputs. But from what i am understanding, there is no difference.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Plug in both outputs and let the L1 sum them to mono ...the CP5 has awful mono pianos its a stereo keyboard and requires a stero output to sound its best.
It might (using a y cable) sound different and better but its doubtful if the L1 will do a better job of summing the signal to mono then the CP5 will do.
All you can do is try it and if not not happy then get a proper stereo PA.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
T
tygacj Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Yes! the CP5 sounds horrible in mono. Very muddy and hollow. Ok, after spending hours on this forum and on other forums, i decided that i am going to return the Bose L1 compact and purchase two JBL EON 510 speakers. I had the opportunity to test this speaker and it sounds awesome. However, a have a couple questions... the JBL EON 315 series (15") is similar to the EON 510 (10")in terms of power but the 510 features a smaller casing with smaller 10" woofer and cost $100 more than the 315. 1) I'm confused about why the EON 510 which has a smaller speaker would cost more? Are you paying more for the lighter weight (17 lbs)? 2) For DP, backtracks, and vocals, would 15" or 10" speakers work better?

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
15" would be better for piano as it give better bass response but JBL has speakers in series 300, 500 etc with the 500 series being better then the 300 series. Any of these speakers are going to be massively better then the L1 for any application. What you give up is the one handed carrying ability but what's a extra trip or two to the car if it means you sound 10 times better ?
My recommendation is the 12" QSC K12's but they are about $800ea or even better the new 15" Yamaha DSR115 at about $850ea (a friend of mine got these recently with apparently great success) but JBL do a nice 15" speaker the EON515XT for about $600ea (they sound quite good indeed ..if you like the 510's you will love those)
If you want a all in one solution try the motion Sound KP-500SN stereo keyboard amp ...fantastic amp that sounds great and really makes the CP5 (I use one on my CP1 from time to time) stand out.

Any of these solutions is going to work fine for you far better then the L1 which is not a good keyboard PA according to reports (I've heard it used with guitars, public speakers etc and it sounded fine but that's a mono application)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Why not then buy two L1's and feed one the left signal and the other the right signal?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Why not then buy two L1's and feed one the left signal and the other the right signal?

Why would you use two 70w speakers with virtually no mid range @ $1000 ea vs two 500w 15" full range speakers for $1200 ?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dr Popper

Why would you use two 70w speakers with virtually no mid range @ $1000 ea vs two 500w 15" full range speakers for $1200 ?

From http://products.bose.com/pdf/customer_service/owners/l1_model_I_guide.pdf

Amplifier 1 output power: 250W (rms, into 4Ω), assigned to
L1 model I Cylindrical Radiator® loudspeaker
• Amplifier 2 output power: 250W (rms, into 4Ω), assigned to one or two B1 bass
modules using the B1 Bass Module connector

I use two Bose 802's (an entirely different animal) and frequency response for the 802 is 55Hz to 16kHz ±3dB.

I know that many here like to bash Bose, but I've used the 802's for at least 20 years and everything sounds great through them. My test is a handful of classical CDs. Vocals always sound great and I always get compliments on the sound of the piano.

I shopped around for the L1 and thought that I'd need to buy two complete setups along with an additional bass unit. For me it just got a tad too expensive. I'm a strong believer of flight cases and adding that additional cost was too much for me.

I'll keep my 802's for the foreseeable future.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Dr Popper

From http://products.bose.com/pdf/customer_service/owners/l1_model_I_guide.pdf

Amplifier 1 output power: 250W (rms, into 4Ω), assigned to
L1 model I Cylindrical Radiator® loudspeaker
• Amplifier 2 output power: 250W (rms, into 4Ω), assigned to one or two B1 bass
modules using the B1 Bass Module connector

Do not confuse the L1 Mod 1 who's spec's you are quoting there with the much smaller L1 compact which we are discussing here and who's video you posted.
The L1 compact has only 70w

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
OK, understood.

I tried to find that 70 watt figure in the owner's manual for the L1 Compact and couldn't locate it.

Just from its appearance the L1 Compact looks like a very portable system for a sales seminar.

I was referring to the tall units in that video that Paul Metheny uses. Those would be to the only systems I would consider.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission