2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 370 1 2 3 4 5 369 370
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Cubop, I have the sheet music to Johnny cashes version of Ghost riders in the sky... it's excellent......
I would never forget that!

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
C

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012
C
Rostosky, you were too fast for me. See edit to my last post. That Youtube video is terrific.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Spiderbait has reinvented ghost riders again.... it has moved on from an old cowpoke song..... Motorcyclists do seem to "claim " stuff!! like for example hawkwinds "silver machine" which was written about a bicycle !!

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

C
C
Mr R...you were right it was 1978 and it wasn't graham p- and the rumout it was tom petty and the heartbreakers.

these were the days of The Old Grey Whistle Test and listening to John Peel playing the latest punk offerings including Teenage Kicks by the Undertones.

Here's an offbeat gem - Captain Beefheart kicking up sand in the Mojave desert. Ice cream for Crow. Amazing stuff. Like the Sparks btw.

[video:youtube]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSeSQI16ZE0[/video]

crippy

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
My reminiscing will go back to the early 1960s when I was in high school. Me and my friends regularly had small gatherings in each others homes, where we danced to the sounds of Motown. Waking up this morning I started thinking about Stevie Wonder. It seems easier for me to start here, rather than starting in the 70s.

I feel like I grew up with Stevie. Stevie Wonder was about 12 or 13 years old when I first heard him sing "Fingertips." Me and my friends were a few years older. Stevie's voice would soon change to an adult voice. I was impressed with his talent. Of course, I loved dancing to his music. He only got better as he got older.

Over the many years I've danced to Stevie's music, fallen in love to it, (and fallen out of love), and have enjoyed many of his beautiful ballads. Enough of my chat right now. It's time to hear "Fingertips.

I will share a few more things later that include Stevie's performance with Mick Jagger in my hometown.

Enjoy!

Last edited by griffin2417; 07/08/11 08:17 AM. Reason: Misspelling. (I'm a copy editor. I can't stop myself!)

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Excellent reminisces you guys, brilliant, look forward to more. I will be back in an hour, have to go make food for me and mrs Rossy, If I dont, mrs Rossy may decide to cook, and that is totally Off topic. lol.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If i can hang on the Stevie Wonder topic, this is worth listening to!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Oh Wayne, these "mash-ups" !!

But, you reminded me of REM, and something else,
This next song By Gary Jules "mad world" so many, many,many folk actually believe this is a REM song, I have met folk who have bet money, its by REM, they have even gone online to try and get the "evidence" which of course does not exist , because its not by REM.

So, Mad world, by Gary Jules, tears for fears fans know it in a different guise, as they covered it.
Used on the film Donny Darko.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Love this Rostosky, I sometimes play this one, only a simple version, I need to work on it a bit!

By the way, are you interseted in the purchase of a copy of ABF Recital #22, 3CD Box set.
At only £19.99

(I'm so sorry to go OT)

I'm off to read the "sweaty fingers" thread, speak soon smile

Last edited by wayne32yrs; 07/07/11 05:39 PM.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
I've just finished my bike ride. Here is another Stevie Wonder song to reminisce about. "You are the Sunshine of my Life" was one of the many ballads he wrote.

I mentioned in an earlier thread seeing him in my hometown in 1972 when Mick Jagger gave a concert. Stevie opened the show. It was smart of the Stones to team up with Stevie. It was a great performance!

Looking back on that show reminds me that by 1972 I had been exposed to a greater variety of music and artists from around the world; particularly British performers such as the Stones, Beatles, some of the jazz artist such as Cleo Lane and John Dankworth, and far too many more to try to list here.

Enough chat, here's Stevie performing in London in 1974.

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Ah, didn't know it had been released, I can't afford that , well not for the next twenty seven years anyways, I nearly had to put mrs Rossy on the streets again last week just to pay off the manicurist. can you burn me a copy of yours? I will pay postage etc.

I just slipped back into sixties mode, as it had been mentioned and got me thinking. Why cant folk sing properly anymore?
Here is a girl who could, the great Late Janis Joplin.
Nearly everyone I have ever loved as artists are dead.. anyways, Heres Summertime by Janis.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Sorry griffin we posted at the same time!! excellent choice, I have gone back to the sixties to begin reminicsing, Look I am going to call it remembering from now on because I really struggle trying to spell reminisscing !!
I was too young for this so all my sixties remembering was learnt later on!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Honestly, seeing everyone's reminisces I couldn't help but post one of my High School favourites. Its a bit, uh, lets say different than most peoples . . .

(Listen to it, it's actually really good)

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Another excellent "remember" (cant spell reminicces properly) PPP , you may be surprised, I have seen Alice a couple of times, he is extremely entertaining live, a wonderfull performer. This next one is for you, you may appreciate it....
Alex harvey, and "next" one for the scots.!

Originally Posted by Rostosky
Wow I havent gone off topic yet! excellent, this is going well. (you cant have Queen without MTH)

Nice story, Your Royalistishness (?)

Well, okay. If that's the only way we can get Bri to twang "God Save the Queen" on the roof of Buck House, I'll appease All the Young Dudes... and some of the older ones too... and include MtH.

Although, to be totally honest, I've always preferred Bowie's version of "The Dudes" myself.

So, Mad world, by Gary Jules, tears for fears fans know it in a different guise, as they covered it.

Ahhh, but TFF were class.

Last edited by Sly Cat; 07/07/11 06:59 PM.

Currently playing an Axus D2.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Ah welcome SlyCat, please come share your
remin
rememberences with us..

Heres one to make everyone happy, I have not met anyone yet who doesn't like this....

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As long as we are continuing along these lines, let me be a little (actually very) self-indulgent. This is (seriously) one of my all time favourite pieces of music (right up there with the 9th symph.) and it is sure to make everyone angry.

I CHALLENGE EVERYONE to listen to all 8 minutes and 25 seconds of this and tell me its not amazing.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Ah, didn't know it had been released, I can't afford that , well not for the next twenty seven years anyways, I nearly had to put mrs Rossy on the streets again last week just to pay off the manicurist. can you burn me a copy of yours? I will pay postage etc.

I just slipped back into sixties mode, as it had been mentioned and got me thinking. Why cant folk sing properly anymore?
Here is a girl who could, the great Late Janis Joplin.
Nearly everyone I have ever loved as artists are dead.. anyways, Heres Summertime by Janis.

FANTASTIC CHOICE! I was in college when I first heard Janis Joplin's album with Big Brother and the Holding Company. I liked everything I heard on the album. However, when she sang Summertime, I was blown away with power of her voice and interpretation. As I was listening to it just now, I found myself going back into that magical zone (my term) and getting swept up with her voice.

Thanks Rossy. Isn't this fun? I am eager to hear some of the others have sent. First, it's my turn to fix dinner tonight. I'll be back shortly.

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Aha, this is a great era to start remembers, This next song is remarkable for a couple of reasons, one grace slick, and two, a rare mistake made by Grace in the opening two lines,She sings "One pill makes you larger, and one makes you small" Instead of "One PILL makes you small," She immediately realises her error , Laughs, and recovers in a nano second.

Missing a sylable out totally throws everything, she did well.

I learnt this song to busk with guitar, and was busking away, proud that I could actually sing it, and it was in my range.
I had also learnt the new chord of F# M on guitar so was sort of double proud.

All was going well, and the "hat of plenty" was filling up nicely, when a lady with two small children walked past and cursed me , citing the children, and taking offence at the lyrics.

I managed to change the words on the spur of the moment to "when the lady with the children, tells you where to go, I did not write the lyrics thats something you should know,rememeber, what the dormouse said..."

by that point she had dissappeared, so I finished of loudly with "feed your head"
Anyways, one moan, but the hat of plenty later disclosed more folk had enjoyed it than hadn't.
lol.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I can't help but feel as though I am little out of place here. Oh well.

Page 3 of 370 1 2 3 4 5 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission