2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,905 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#1695694 06/14/11 08:02 PM
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Just got a call from Guitar Center that the Korg Kronos is on the floor and available. It is only the 61 key but I imagine the bigger ones can't be far behind. I'm about to grab my headphones and at least go check out the sounds and functionality.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Just got back from GC and spent quite a bit of time with the Kronos 61. Materials were very good but a bit short of what you get with Yamaha products. The touchscreen, however, is fantastic and a really great feature for a workstation.

I really enjoyed all the sound engines. It will be overkill for those just looking for a DP, but I can see endless hours of creative fun for me. The sequencing and editing is intuitive with the touchscreen and the sounds are great. I think the XF still might be the best workstation as far as sounds that kill on stage, but the Kronos has more flexibility as a stand alone workstation and the sounds are just as good if not better in all departments, except maybe the guitars.

The action used on the SV-1 isn't as refined as that on the CP-1, but I will live with the compromise given that my acoustic is used for virtually all my piano time. I paid for and pre-ordered a Kronos 88. I was able to get it out the door for the best price I found online. They expect it to arrive within the next 2 weeks.

On a side note, I was talking to the manager about the the Roland G8, which I used to own. He told me they can't move them because everyone knows the sounds are just not usable on stage or in the studio unless you are focused on creating hip hop demos. Nevertheless, he agreed that the new Roland DP focused products sound and feel great. To illustrate the point about the G8 he played back similar demos he created on the XF and the G8. The contrast was pretty dramatic. There is definitely something about Roland non-piano sounds that make them sound artificial. Hopefully whatever lessons they learned in creating the SN pianos can be applied across other sounds in their next workstation.

Mint CP1 anyone? PW friendly pricing for anyone interested.

Last edited by Hideki Matsui; 06/15/11 12:29 AM.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congrats Hideki - looking forward to seeing the pictures of your place once the Kronos arrives! wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Congrats Hideki - looking forward to seeing the pictures of your place once the Kronos arrives! wink

Cheers,
James
x

Thanks. I almost ended buying the MP-10 but I decided to go back to a workstation. The action on the MP is superb. I would take it over any DP action out there.

My Shigeru had the visit from the Kawai Master Piano Artisan from Japan today. I cant believe how perfect he made my Shigeru sound. As great as all these DPs are, playing the Shigeru is something otherworldly.

Last edited by Hideki Matsui; 06/15/11 12:46 AM.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
Wow, sounds like you've had a great day!

Double congrats! wink

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Ok Hideki, now you're really making me green with envy! A perfectly prepped Shigeru and a Kronos 88 - it doesn't get much better than that. shocked

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Wow congrats on both getting the Kronos 88 and your piano tweaked. Yeah, I've spent some $$$$ on my D getting it right. It's always gratifying and inspiring for sure.

I know you didn't play the 88 but I'm curious to see when you get it, how the SV1 action compares to that of the Kronos 88/73. I don't think the 61s are even in the stores down here yet.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hideki Matsui
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Cheers,
James
x

Thanks. I almost ended buying the MP-10 but I decided to go back to a workstation. The action on the MP is superb. I would take it over any DP action out there.

My Shigeru had the visit from the Kawai Master Piano Artisan from Japan today. I cant believe how perfect he made my Shigeru sound. As great as all these DPs are, playing the Shigeru is something otherworldly.

First of all congrats on the pre-ordered Kronos! I played the 61 Kronos last week over at my local music store, and I was very impressed with the piano/orchestral sounds. I didn't spend nearly enough time, but I left with a great impression of the acoustic pianos and orchestral sounds. Great touchscreen as well. It's probably the best workstation out there-aside from the NS2, but that seems almost made for different kinds of work.

As far as your SK5...I'm green with envy! I played the RX-5, RX-6, and RX-7, as well as did some session work on a C7 here in town, and loved the sound of the C7, but the feel of the Kawais were wonderful. And those were the standard Blak Series RX grands, not the high end SK grands. smile

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
A Kawai detour in the thread--but I played the RX5 Blak about two weeks ago and was knocked out ! These new Blak series sound more European and sophisticated then earlier Kawais. I played a 2002 RX6 right next to the RX5 and the sound was not the same. Couple that with their newer Millennium action, I think for home solo playing, I'd prefer that Kawai to a Yamaha--and I'm a huge Yamaha C series fan. Owned both the C7E and S6.

The Kawai just had a more lyrical, singing sound then the C series. And at a more competitive price. Playing out live with a Trio, I'd still opt for a good regulated C7 though. They just cut through great.

H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Wow congrats on both getting the Kronos 88 and your piano tweaked. Yeah, I've spent some $$$$ on my D getting it right. It's always gratifying and inspiring for sure.

I know you didn't play the 88 but I'm curious to see when you get it, how the SV1 action compares to that of the Kronos 88/73. I don't think the 61s are even in the stores down here yet.

I was fortunate to have my MPA visit as part of my Shigeru purchase, but I imagine that kind of quality work would normally be very expensive. Worth every penny nonetheless. I'm sure your D sounds amazing. Its hard to play a DP when you have a great piano at your fingertips.

While I was at GC there was a great jazz player using the CP5 for some EPs. It really sounded perfect. Yamaha really knows how to create sounds that sound great in live setups.

The SV-1 action doesn't compare to the refined Yamaha actions. If I didn't have my Shigeru I would probably keep the CP1, but I'm willing to live with an action that is a little less refined in a workstation. I think the Kronos will probably be similar to the SV. I'll definitely report back when I get it.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Korg posted the English version of the Kronos Video Manual on YouTube.
The video manual has approximately 1 hour of videos.

Part 1 - Introduction and Navigation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w77zsCHO2Oc

Part 2 - Program Mode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjE3A4WChUo

Part 3 - Combination Mode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DHwX-kOL0M

Part 4 - Sequencer Mode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JHf1XqzBOU

Part 5 - Set List Mode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NUga0pLLgY

Part 6 - Disk Mode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukwEWdbOHYE

Last edited by Hideki Matsui; 06/17/11 10:14 AM.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
The Kronos is a rather steep learning curve I must admit.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
The Kronos is a rather steep learning curve I must admit.

Based on the devices in your signature, I doubt it would be that steep for you. I have a feeling it will be a bit of a headache for me. That being said, it seems like endless fun too.

A few Japanese video:

Clown on the Kronos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnOZ9jZPiGc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2DtHMoPbR8

Last edited by Hideki Matsui; 06/20/11 12:50 AM.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
This one should be of particular interest around here. It covers the SGX1 piano engine, EP1 electric piano engine and the CX3 organ engine. The electric pianos get the most coverage with some of the signature pro sounds highlighted.

Last edited by Hideki Matsui; 06/20/11 01:15 AM.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

Based on the devices in your signature, I doubt it would be that steep for you. I have a feeling it will be a bit of a headache for me. That being said, it seems like endless fun too.

There is SO much in this board its a long road to really know it. Just when you think you have it you notice the other hundreds of voices not loaded that are on the drive.
This board is VERY involved.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H

There is SO much in this board its a long road to really know it. Just when you think you have it you notice the other hundreds of voices not loaded that are on the drive.
This board is VERY involved.

I've been spending some time on the Kronos forum and half the stuff they talk about is completely over my head. The basics seem pretty straightforward but there seem to be so many little details that are going to require some serious hands on time.

I once owned the Access Virus Ti and am thinking about getting their 61 key version again to compliment the Kronos. I haven't kept up to date with the product and was wondering what you thought of the product today with current updates. I always felt the Virus was able to create unique "hard" electronic sounds.

Last edited by Hideki Matsui; 06/26/11 01:21 AM.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Some cool Japanese artist demo videos:

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

I once owned the Access Virus Ti and am thinking about getting their 63 key version again to compliment the Kronos. I haven't kept up to date with the product and was wondering what you thought of the product today with current updates. I always felt the Virus was able to create unique "hard" electronic sounds.

Well to me the Virus is king of the synth's these days I just love it. I frankly couldn't imagine life without it. It does FAT better then any VA out there and nothing is like a virus bassline or trance pad although the Arturia Origon Keyboard is also a awesome board. I am VERY impressed with the Kronos as well BTW.

H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H

I once owned the Access Virus Ti and am thinking about getting their 63 key version again to compliment the Kronos. I haven't kept up to date with the product and was wondering what you thought of the product today with current updates. I always felt the Virus was able to create unique "hard" electronic sounds.

Well to me the Virus is king of the synth's these days I just love it. I frankly couldn't imagine life without it. It does FAT better then any VA out there and nothing is like a virus bassline or trance pad although the Arturia Origon Keyboard is also a awesome board. I am VERY impressed with the Kronos as well BTW.

It seems every Virus owner feels similarly. I never should have sold mine. (Edit: picked up the 61 shortly after posting this). I wasn't very proficient with mine but this guy seems to know what he is doing:

Last edited by Hideki Matsui; 06/23/11 02:36 PM.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
R
R
Played the Kronos at GC yesterday. I think it really is a game changer. I cannot see Yamaha, Roland, Nord or Kurzweil catching up unless they stop regurgitating old technology with small incremental features and start from scratch. Across the board I found the sounds rich and highly usable. The Pianos sounds surpassed any softpianos I've heard. The interface and screen are highly intuitive. I'm really impressed. By the way, the vintage mechanical keyboards were stunning.

Music Hack

Nord NP88,Yamaha Motif ES7, Brodmann 187 Grand,
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission