2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1706552 07/03/11 09:06 AM
36251 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Not all of the great jazz pianists are classically trained but those that are not lived in a time where there were many opportunities for on-the-job training. That being said I'd like to share my attempts playing jazz. I'm going to be 55 years old this year, and spent most of my years playing GB. Throughout that time I have had some great teachers and a lot of bad ones, I dropped out of Berklee, never really achieved a classical repertoire and don't have perfect or relative pitch (maybe I do but it is not developed.)

The one thing I do have is a little monkey on my shoulder edging me on to still try to become a better musician than I was yesterday. I finally gave up GB a few years ago and have had some opportunities to play jazz as well as concentrate on jazz. Over the time playing GB, I had to spend my time learning hundreds of transcriptions of every awful wedding song ever written as well as string, horn and keyboard parts from 30 years of popular music of Donna Summer, Men at Work, Abba, Michael Jackson, etc; a who's who of what most people continue to listen to.

There is no audition to blog about music at these sites, so without sharing your music; you can make everyone believe you you're one hot player. I hope sharing my music puts a sound behind any post I write.

My YouTube name is: p16251

If you decide to listen, please be gentle.

Last edited by 36251; 07/04/11 12:15 AM.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 36251
I hope sharing my music puts a sound behind any post I write.
My YouTube name is: p16251
If you decide to listen, please be gentle.

I'd suggest giving a direct link to your music if you are interested in others taking a listen.
Just makes it a lot easier, and more likely that someone here will listen.

Cheers, Dara

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not bad indeed! It was fun listening to you and the band. You should come and join "us" jazzers here at Piano World. We present our playing to each other's scrutiny, critique as well as praise.

Last edited by chrisbell; 07/03/11 10:05 AM. Reason: spel tjeck
36251 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chrisbell
Not bad indeed! It was fun listening to you and the band. You should come and join "us" jazzers here at Piano World. We present our playing to each other's scrutiny, critique as well as praise.
thanks. I checked out that thread. It's going to take me some time to read through all that great info. I did notice Beeboss who I've listened to on YouTube and actually transcribed part of his solo on Dewey Square. Now there's a guy who is very accomplished and has that classical background. I know it's not necessary but classical has such advantages from all the melodies, harmony, technique, ear training and memorization it involves all starting when a person is young and their brain is maturing.

My goal is to touch the surface of this music and find a voice that people (listeners/patrons) will find enjoyable.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission