2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 10 invisible), 1,828 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
tygacj Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I did a thorough search on how to properly setup up a one-man band with two PA speakers utilizing a mixer with balanced cables with a mono sound (I read that a STEREO setup is not ideal for gigs with multiple monitors). From what I learned so far, is this the correct or preferred way to setup my equipment to achieve a mono sound utilizing balanced cables?

Yamaha CP5 DP with balanced outputs >>> unbalanced TS cable output from L/R(mono) >>> connect to D.I. Box which converts the unbalanced mono line to a balanced mono line >>> connect balanced line to mixer >>> connect balanced line a PA Monitor >>> Daisy Chain to second PA Monitor.

Please advice. Thank you

Be careful not to confuse balanced with stereo... I'm unsure why you are using an unbalanced cable to the CP5 if it has balanced outputs? Connect the balanced line directly to the mixer, or what are you using the D.I. Box for?

I am not very familiar with gigs, but on the studio we have the keyboards directly to the console.

Best regards,
Rafa.

Roland FP-7F
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Not to side track this, but I've been playing in stereo for decades and prefer stereo to mono, it just sounds better. I do not place my speakers at substantial distance from each other, I place them side by side - that gives better bass response and better coverage ... and the stereo is not wasted, it still sounds better. (I should add that I'm not playing stadiums but rather small venues - hotels, restaurants, cafés.)

I also do not use balanced lines since the distance from the piano to the mixer is a matter of a few feet. If you're running lines in excess of 20 feet you'd be better off using balanced but on most jobs the slight amount of extra noise probably would go unnoticed.

(Also, the line out from the mixer to the amp is unbalanced since the distance is about one foot. I know I could very slightly lower the noise floor by using balanced cables, but the audible difference is negligible. I once proved that point by comparing both balanced and unbalanced cables and while I could hear a difference it was extremely slight and I could only tell that when the amp was wide open with no input - the noise floor.)

If I were you, I'd try both stereo and mono and see which one you prefer.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
T
tygacj Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the responses. In answer to RafaPolit's question about why I wanted to run unbalanced outputs from the DP is because i wanted to achieve a mono (even) sound through both speakers which is only available through the unbalanced output labeled L/Mono. There is no label for L/Mono for the balanced ouputs on my Yamaha CP5. But like Dave Horne said above, as long as the speakers (PA System) arent far apart during a gig, stereo sound will work fine. I was initally worried that one side of the audience will hear the left channel of my keys and the the other end of the audience will hear the other half side of my keys. I have my first wedding gig with a DP setup coming up in a couple months and i want to be sure i got all the necessary cables, equipment, and a guideline on how to setup up all of the equipment. Thanks again!

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by tygacj
I was initally worried that one side of the audience will hear the left channel of my keys and the the other end of the audience will hear the other half side of my keys.

That will not happen as long as the speakers are about as far apart as the width of a piano, say within 5 feet. The L/Mono output does not sound as good as stereo. Well, I don't have a CP5 but on pianos where I've tried it, if the samples are in stereo you want two speakers.

The reason for all of this is that the line out on a DP is more like a microphone feed then a mixed and mastered stereo recording. I think you could use widely spaced stereo speakers for your DP if you processed the DP's sound the way a recording engineer would have if he were making a CD. He pan both of the DPs channels more to the center, or both of them left. Basically he's make the width of your piano about as wide as a piano, the same thing you do by placing speaker closely and feeding them the raw sound from the DP.

So if you do have to play over a stereo PA with wide sppeakers, just pan both channels to where ever the piano is.

If you want my opinion on your signal chain, I'd say "you have way to many steps."

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I was initally worried that one side of the audience will hear the left channel of my keys and the the other end of the audience will hear the other half side of my keys. I have my first wedding gig with a DP setup coming up in a couple months and i want to be sure i got all the necessary cables, equipment, and a guideline on how to setup up all of the equipment.

As I stated, I place my speakers side by side and they sound excellent and I have better bass response and a wider spread of the sound. I place the speakers side by side but slightly angle them away from each other. I'll record something internally (or play a CD) and walk across the room to give it a listen. It always sounds just fine.

I would seriously advise you set up your system in your living room before the job to be sure you know how everything works and that everything works as expected.

From page 15 of your CP5 Owner's Manual ...

Using a pair of keyboard amplifiers or powered speakers, you can accurately reproduce the full richness of CP5 or CP50
sounds, including pan and other widening effects. In this type of situation, connections to the amplifiers or speakers
should be made via the unbalanced [L/MONO] and [R] output jacks on the rear panel. If you would prefer to monitor your
playing using a single keyboard amplifier or powered speaker, the unbalanced [L/MONO] output jack should be used.

The balanced outputs are more for really long runs or studio work where you need to have the absolute lowest noise floor. In the real world 1/4" cables are just fine since the powered speakers(?) or amp is\are close to you, right?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission