2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
I want to learn a Star Wars. There are different edition. I don't know which one is more like real or which one you like? I get three editions' sheet music this week. I plan to learn one of them

1. Grade 5-3

2. Grade 5-3

3. Grade 6

Thanks

Well, having grown with this music my entire life... the first is definitely the more 'accurate' one, but it is also the best player of the group! It gave me the chills that they have included the 20th Century Fox music in it! I found that really clever.

Now, the repetition notes on that particular version are very precise and none of the others even attempt at it.

The first video is the absolutely traditional one... its the entire opening sequence of the first movie (as I said, including the 20th century fox music!).

The second video incorporates part of the Empire strikes back music, but it gets a little lingering and long at the middle.

The last video incorporates also the triumphant march where they reward Luke and Han at the end of the first movie. But lacks the luster of the first version.

The imperial march of the first is clearly unsurpassed, but, as I said, the registers of the keyboard and the playing is considerably better, so hard to judge more objectively.

I'd pick the first one, without a doubt.

But the important question is: Which do YOU like? You are the one that's going to end up spending a lot of time rehearsing it smile .

Best regards,
Rafa.

Roland FP-7F
M
M
John Williams FTW! I liked the first one the best. What instrument is this? Wersi?

P
OP Offline
P

Rafa, thanks for your replies.

I prefer the 2nd arrangement. But I worry it may be easy to destory the keybord because the player had to press the keyboard very strongly to play some special sounds and effects (I don't like those special sounds and effects). Unlike workstations or synths, most parts of the music is played by the performer in the video. I found the 2nd video's orginal audio which released by Yamaha, please refer it:

P
OP Offline
P

Thanks Moomintroll.

They are Yamaha electones. The 1st and 3rd use ELS-01C, and the 2nd uses a professional model, ELS-01X. Except inital and after touch, the player also uses horizontal touch. I'm real worry about this arrangement can break the manuals easily

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Not sure what is the best version of the Star Wars score, maybe it all depends on the conductor....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJw9yjiaCHs

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
philharmonicguy,

Since I am an amateur pianists, it takes me months to learn a difficult piece, so I choose my repertoire very carefully smile . You really should play the version you feel the most happy with!

The first one, for me, is much more musical, the second one is more a show off of the special effects and they happen when the music should be reaching its climax, therefore sacrificing the musicality of the performance. If I were composing music for a movie trailer, the second one would be interesting. Perhaps you can recompose a bit something with both versions, taking the best out of each? (and taking away all the effects of the second to avoid hurting the keyboard?)

Be sure to film yourself playing it though as to make a follow up to this discussion smile.

Best regards,
Rafa.
P.S. Pianotehead, that video is a great find. That poor guy has no idea what he is doing with the orchestra, but he certainly looks cool doing it! wink

Last edited by RafaPolit; 07/01/11 03:29 AM.

Roland FP-7F
M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
surely you would want to learn this, the best version to be performed by a pianist, since this is a piano forum not electone/keyboard forum:

http://youtu.be/WvBGVXTWgmg

How do you embed actual video like you guys have done above, I cant figure it out.

Last edited by mwf; 07/01/11 06:10 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mwf
surely you would want to learn this, the best version to be performed by a pianist...

That's certainly a very impressive rendition.

Originally Posted by mwf
...since this is a piano forum not electone/keyboard forum

Since when?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by mwf
How do you embed actual video like you guys have done above, I cant figure it out.

Try here:

http://tinyurl.com/5sfl3zn

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
surely you just type the embed code below the YT video into the message like this:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WvBGVXTWgmg?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WvBGVXTWgmg?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

and that embend code dont work frown

I dont know any other way, as that should work, I also tried url but that dont work

Cheers

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WvBGVXTWgmg?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WvBGVXTWgmg?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

thats the embed code, god dam it...why dont it show the video...stupid, and as always I dont suppose anyone can be bothered to show me how to do it properly, I just googled it and I cant make sense of it...normally I am clued up with this stuff

L
L
Maybe go to "full reply" and click the button to embed youtube video so it does it for you like this?

[video:youtube]WvBGVXTWgmg[/video]

Not even any typing required.

EDIT: and as a bonus, if you quote someone who embedded a youtube vid, it will show you the exact text used.

Last edited by Lefty Chev; 07/01/11 12:09 PM.
M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
found it, thanks for that, its under the enter a media tag tab smile

P
OP Offline
P
I don't like the piano style. It just likes sb arranges Chopin's impromptu to an orchestra song

Originally Posted by mwf
surely you would want to learn this, the best version to be performed by a pianist, since this is a piano forum not electone/keyboard forum:

http://youtu.be/WvBGVXTWgmg

L
L
Have you seen how Anderson & Roe do it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSwB7Pb6wtc

I was impressed with all three. Over 30 years ago, I was in charge of quality control when Yamaha opened their first organ factory in Grand Rapids, MI. That was a boring job, testing each stop to make sure it worked OK.

I didn't even know Yamaha still made the Electone organ. A quick search here in the USA tells me that they are not sold here anymore.

I couldn't believe how GREAT the instrument sounded and the players ability to show off the instrument. It made me want one.

It is so hard to believe that popular organs that are capable of making these sounds are a dying breed. These look like so much fun to play for a musician versus a Tyro's where all the hard work is done for you.

The demize of the home organ starting in 1980 just doesn't add up. The portable keyboards at that time didn't sound very good. At that time, they were toys and didn't sound very good. Not for aspiring young and old musicians.

Thanks so much for posting these as it has been very educational for me to hear these stunning instruments and players.

Don
P
OP Offline
P
Hi pianobear100,

Your story is very interesting

Yamaha released ELS-01, ELS-01C and ELS-01X around 2001-2003 and released ELS-01's portable model, D-DECK, DDK7, about 2006. It is little more expansive than a Tyros 4. But it more fan than a Tyros 4
[Linked Image]

Harry Potter theme on DDK-7

Jurassic Park Theme on DDK-7

Pirates Of The Caribbean on DDK-7

Star Wars on DDK-7

In 2009, Yamaha Electone 50 Anniversary, it released ELS-01U, ELS-01CU and ELS-01XU. But there are identical those old models except to replace their floppy drivers with USB adapters (the old model also can use USB drive)

Today is July 4th, I post Stars and Stripes Forever

Originally Posted by pianobear100
I was impressed with all three. Over 30 years ago, I was in charge of quality control when Yamaha opened their first organ factory in Grand Rapids, MI. That was a boring job, testing each stop to make sure it worked OK.

I didn't even know Yamaha still made the Electone organ. A quick search here in the USA tells me that they are not sold here anymore.

I couldn't believe how GREAT the instrument sounded and the players ability to show off the instrument. It made me want one.

It is so hard to believe that popular organs that are capable of making these sounds are a dying breed. These look like so much fun to play for a musician versus a Tyro's where all the hard work is done for you.

The demize of the home organ starting in 1980 just doesn't add up. The portable keyboards at that time didn't sound very good. At that time, they were toys and didn't sound very good. Not for aspiring young and old musicians.

Thanks so much for posting these as it has been very educational for me to hear these stunning instruments and players.

Last edited by philharmonicguy; 07/04/11 10:24 AM.
Dear Philharmonicguy,

Thanks for the update. If I understand you correctly, then the Yamaha Electone organ has not been updated since around 2006. Is it still being made in it's present form or is like the Hammond B3 and everybody is trying to keep their old one. smile

I really appreciate you posting some more songs so I could listen. I am a little puzzled about something and you might be able to help me.

The registrations seem to change as your are playing. Most of the time, I don't see a piston being pushed. I know pressing harder on keys can make more instruments sound ( I have a Korg M3), but it seems like registrations are changing even more than that.

How are the registrations being made. Zones on the keyboard?, playing harder on the keys?, it looks like they are being made by magic!

The piano player who played Star Wars is very, very good. I would not have thought that Star Wars would have sounded that good as a solo on the piano without any other instrument sounds.

Thank you,
Don

Don
P
OP Offline
P
You are welcome, Don (pianopbear100)

Yes, Yamaha updates software but hardware

There are some different ways to change registrations: 1. press a registration button 2. push the registration switch by right foot 3.change registrations automatically 4. customize

Because you used to in this industry, do you know what're reasons Yamaha escaped from North American and Euro markets from 2000 (EL-900 released on 2000) and only focuses on East Asian markets such as Japan, China, Taiwan, etc?

Originally Posted by pianobear100
Dear Philharmonicguy,

Thanks for the update. If I understand you correctly, then the Yamaha Electone organ has not been updated since around 2006. Is it still being made in it's present form or is like the Hammond B3 and everybody is trying to keep their old one. smile

I really appreciate you posting some more songs so I could listen. I am a little puzzled about something and you might be able to help me.

The registrations seem to change as your are playing. Most of the time, I don't see a piston being pushed. I know pressing harder on keys can make more instruments sound ( I have a Korg M3), but it seems like registrations are changing even more than that.

How are the registrations being made. Zones on the keyboard?, playing harder on the keys?, it looks like they are being made by magic!

The piano player who played Star Wars is very, very good. I would not have thought that Star Wars would have sounded that good as a solo on the piano without any other instrument sounds.

Thank you,
Don

Dear Philharmonicguy,

Thanks for responding to my questions, but you know answers to questions causes more questions to be asked. smile

I hadn't thought about a foot switch on the volumn pedal. Change registrations automatically. How does that work?
Customize. Don't know how that works either.

I don't know the exact reasons why Yamaha escaped from North America, but I have a good idea.

A little history.

After Yamaha opened their Organ Factory in Grand Rapids, MI, they bought out the Everett Piano company in South Haven, MI.

I applied to be a district manager at Evertt/Yamaha pianos. Shortly after Yamaha bought Everett, the company went on strike for a long time (It might have been as long as 6 months). It took them a while to recover from the strike and I was eventually hired by them for the Everett division as a district manager. I had responsibility for 17 states in the NE.

After working for them for a year, I decided to open my own piano and organ store in Atlanta, GA in 1980. When I arrived I started working for the competition as a salesman to see what the Atlanta market was like. I knew from my research that the company sold lots of pianos in Atlanta.

It was bizarre, all of the music stores had multiple outlets in the city. They started closing them right and left. No one was buying organs which at the time was making up over half of their sales.

I came to my senses & gave up my dream to have my own piano & organ store. I hired in at the telephone company and had a career of 23 years with them.

Subsequently, Yamaha closed their organ factory in MI and moved it to Georgia. (probably because of higher labor costs in the North. Yamaha pianos factory followed suit and closed their piano factory in MI (Michigan) too. I don't think they ever forgave the workers for the long strike. The southern companies were usually not unionized.

So I side stepped a little to give a little background info, but I believe Yamaha pulled out of North America because of lack of sales. I sold Yamaha electones retail for a short period of time. In my estimation at that time, they didn't measure up to the power and tone of the other existing American organ companies. The American organ companies have all went out of business. The only one that I am aware of that still exists (except for church organs (Allen-Rogers) is Lowrey.

The same thing probably happened in Europe and the Asian markets were still buying organs.

Why everyone lost their love affair with the home organ still puzzles me today. I just don't buy the portable keyboard theory.

In the piano stores in Atlanta today, you don't see very many vertical pianos, they have 40 grand pianos on their floor but only a few uprights. The vertical piano dying too.

Grand pianos are more of a status symbol. It use to be, and I'm pretty sure it still is, that most home Steinway sales are to people who can't even play. Pianist, who make their living playing the piano, can't afford them. The only reason I have one is that I quit the music business and went to the telephone company. smile The smartest thing I did, but unfortunately now that I am retired, the music business has changed beyond recognition. The piano and organ stores use to be local ma & pop stores, now they are mega stores that have outlets in lots of cities.

Don

Don
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission