2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Several of us know Dan through this Piano World internet and his always helpful, always sharing postings.

But do you know yet, that he is an obsessive piano collector and a 'make it even better by doing this or that' fanatic? laugh

If you have read anything this past year or two about his renovations on that monster Mason and Hamlin CC2, you might have seen just a peak at the real CC2 and Chopin lover, Dan.

It was enticing enough for about 30 attendees to spend the afternoon and evening this past Saturday attending his come as you play and enjoy the instruments, fellowship and food..., and that included my fellow travelers, Terrytunes and John Citron traveling down from north of Boston!

Back in Feb, Dan invited forum members to enjoy playing his renovated MH CC2 with its new Stanwood Action, and other updates, new keyboard and all that goes with that new installation; and that beauty of a bubinga Estonia that also calls its home, part of Dan's Musical Mecca.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/22/157.html

Pics and descriptions follow. Stay tuned as I continue to add (as I am sure that others will as well) the adventure.

TT, JC and I decided to rent vehicle, hop the Bridgeport to Port Jefferson Ferry and make a weekend of it.

[Linked Image]

We brought along our picnic for the 1.25 hr ride

[Linked Image]

Not sick, nor considering jumping over, but TT just in awe of the LI Sound

[Linked Image]

Ah, Sand at Last...

[Linked Image]

continued....

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
continued...

The loverly Pam enjoying kitchen prep for the group with PW's Frank Baxter standing close by salivating:

[Linked Image]

Indian Cuisine enough for a 100 (the expected 'next year's' crowd!!!)

[Linked Image]

Just a sampling of the players:

New member Doogs, Linda, was one of the first to find the seldom empty bench at the CC - in her serious classical mode.

[Linked Image]

Later she relaxed playing more contemporary pieces -

[Linked Image]

Bernard, playing in his elegant manner

[Linked Image]

LJC, the Rach lover

[Linked Image]

Joe, Realplayer, ever interested in reading, listening, or playing

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
continued....

John Citron tries the Estonia

[Linked Image]

As does Shelley - we surely enjoyed your playing!

[Linked Image]

Ori dazzles us with a varied mix of styles, first on the CC2 and then on 'the lady'...take a look at that beauty!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And Frank has been practicing!!!

[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
continued....

I want one of these....

[Linked Image]

(not saying which one)

eek eek eek

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
As the evening quieted down....

Finally we saw Dan and Pam relaxing

[Linked Image]

And shyer ones finally not resisting the CC2 temptation! Terrytunes.

[Linked Image]

And the host enjoying his pianos - but only after he made sure that EVERYONE of his guests had a turn!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And the hostess who has only been playing for 8 months at the keyboard...

She was informed about the Adult Beginner's group on PW!

[Linked Image]

The end of the evening finds Terrytunes and LJC using the new technology for car navigation planning TT, JC, and LL's Sunday morning outing to try LJC's Hamburg Concert Grand...to be seen on another post - probably posted tomorrow morning.

Now posted here:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/21947.html

[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thank you Dan and Pam for a most memorable day... A highlight in my piano party adventures!

I *so* enjoyed the pianos and the friendship of fellow music lovers.

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks for your post Lilylady, nicely done.

Dan and Pam were the perfect hosts.

Between the two of them, they made sure nobody went without food (it was great), drink, and someone to talk to (they introduced everyone to everyone else, regardless of when they showed up).

You could feel the warmth in their home, and quickly felt like you were at a friends house, rather than someone you'd just met.

The pianos are both incredible!

I made my usual announcement about how I struggle when I play a grand, considering I only own an electronic piano(it's true).

I'm here to tell you the action in the CC2 was fantastic, even I felt comfortable playing it, and would have played longer except I wanted to make sure everyone had a turn. (ok, full disclosure, I can't remember much without the music :-)

Member Billz and I met in Bridgeport and took the ferry over together.
We figured we'd take the 7:00 p.m. back.

Missed the 7:00 (we were having too good a time), cab didn't show up in time for the 8:00, we finally caught the 9:30 (thanks for the ride Ori). We weren't complaining though, nobody was in any hurry to leave.

It's always a treat to see members I already know, and meet new members, including some brand new.

I expect others will be posting comments and pictures, I didn't bother with the pictures, there were 3 or 4 cameras going so I think that's covered.

I decided it was more important for me to test the food and wine, just to be sure it was safe for everyone else. (It was).

Thanks Dan and Pam for a wonderful afternoon/evening, enjoyed your pianos, the food, your home, and the two of you.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
LOL!!! This is a classic.

[Linked Image]

I remember that jacket from my first piano world get together - at the MH factory when Joe (Realplayer) donned it. You know you've made it when you have one of those.

Man, I wish I could have made it. THanks for the great pics and account, LL.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I’d like to thank our gracious hosts, Dan & Pam, for all their efforts in putting together this truly enjoyable gathering. I felt welcomed and privileged to have been able to be in attendance at their lovely home and to have had the opportunity to enjoy listening and a small chance to play (my own fault)their gorgeous grands.

After 100 emails or so between myself, Lilylady and John Citron, we pulled our weekend piano adventure together and were on the road heading to the ferry in Bridgeport, CT by 8:30 Saturday morning. The excitement level in our car was on overload!! And the anticipation of our planned events made for a most delightful 3-hr journey.

We were checked into our hotel and on our way over to Dan & Pam’s gathering by 3pm. More than 6 hours of non-stop piano playing; from classical to contemporary to jazz. I felt like I was in piano paradise! The opportunity to meet new faces and chat personally with new members is just one other highlight of the evenings events that I especially enjoy.

Gatherings like this are also quite enjoyable for having the opportunity to meet up with members who have become friends thru the years. So pleased …. Frank, Bernard and Joe (real player) traveled the distance. It’s always great chatting and catching up on how everyone is doing… especially when someone has some “lovely” news to share!!

I have a few pics to post but will have to wait until tomorrow evening along with our memorable gathering at LJC’s home on Sunday morning.

KK…. Wish I could have convinced you to join us!! You were missed!! Have a blast in CR and send me a current email address sometime!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My thanks to Dan and Pam for their hospitality and putting together a wonderful piano party.

Dan, You did a great job prepping that M&H piano. Too bad my muscles tensed up when attempting to play, but it happens to all of us at one time or another.

And thanks to all for inspiring me. May that road rise where we meet once again! smile

Cheers,

Mark

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...
D
D
It was great to meet people and put names to faces (though I've probably mixed up a few of them). So many highlights, so many great performances, but for me what stood out most were:
Realplayer playing stark and striking contemporary music none of us had likely ever heard before, never would have heard anywhere else, and never will hear again, from a score that came from the composer himself; and...

My favorite performance of all, and the one I would most like to imitate...

Frank's!

He plays loud!

And to top it all off, my very own PianoWorld pin.

What could be better?

K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
How fun!!!
Hubba Hubba - nice pianos! eek

Wow! Sounds like you had a wonderful time amongst wonderful people. That CC looks so inviting. Great pics lilylady!

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
To all that attended our Piano Party,
Pam and I want to tell you what a pleasure and privilege it was to have you wonderful people in our home. You all did our pianos proud, and filled our home with some of the most beautiful music one could imagine. We are honored that you all came from near and far to join us in this really special get together. Thanks, too, for all your kind comments and the terrific pictures, Lilylady. I'll be adding mine when I'm not so rushed to get to work. I'm about to head out of the house right now, as I am assisting RoyP with a Wapin Bridge job on a local Steinway D. Thanks, also, to RoyP and David Stanwood for attending, as I wanted them both to get the credit they deserve for all their hard work, expertise and genius in making the CC2 as incredible as it is. To be continued........

Piano Technician/Tuner
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Dan,
I am lovin' the pics!

I am sorry that I could not make it to this party. You had a great crowd - even with a technical celeb. like David Stanwood - and I missed alot of good times and good people.

Hopefully, I will make one in the future. By the way, I love the jacket. It looks like it fits perfectly.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by kathyk:
LOL!!! This is a classic.

Man, I wish I could have made it. THanks for the great pics and account, LL.
We missed you.
I said "I bet if Kathyk was here she would organize some duets" :-)

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It was Awesome!

My impressions will be a bit delayed as my home computer is in the hospital and I'm at work right now.

It was great to see everyone.

Later...

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
Looks like everybody had a lot of fun!

Now watch out for the Estonia bomber jackets coming out soon....

Norbert smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Are you spearheading the Estonia Bomber Jacket Project Norbert?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Norbert:
Looks like everybody had a lot of fun!

Now watch out for the Estonia bomber jackets coming out soon....

Norbert smile
Be careful Norbert,

Some of the other manufacturers that you represent
may come "Gunning" for the Estonias. smile
Just kidding. laugh

All the best my friend,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission