2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Cominut, Animisha, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
I'm going to throw out an idea that may seem a bit counterintuitive. As a father of two (son 21, daughter 16) it seems to me that young people are especially adept at making mountains out of molehills. It's the lack of life experience that can make each emotional event a major drama. As we get older and grayer we've experienced major moments (marriages, divorces, births, deaths) and the little ones don't impact us as much. It would seem to me that an older player may very well play with less emotion and would seek to bring out musical details rather than play for the emotion with dramatic dynamics and plenty of rubato. Does that make sense?

This is very true and well put, I was trying to say something like this earlier in the thread, but I like the way you get this accross.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
L
liszt85 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
I'm going to throw out an idea that may seem a bit counterintuitive. As a father of two (son 21, daughter 16) it seems to me that young people are especially adept at making mountains out of molehills. It's the lack of life experience that can make each emotional event a major drama. As we get older and grayer we've experienced major moments (marriages, divorces, births, deaths) and the little ones don't impact us as much. It would seem to me that an older player may very well play with less emotion and would seek to bring out musical details rather than play for the emotion with dramatic dynamics and plenty of rubato. Does that make sense?

This is very true and well put, I was trying to say something like this earlier in the thread, but I like the way you get this accross.

Yep, that seems to make sense too but wearing stores' hat, I'd argue that music training (and practice) is exactly about this: Where the common man reacts to these experiences by "mellowing down", an older artist might strive consciously and actively to draw upon all of it to make art..so he might not necessarily drown out the emotional aspects but rather focus on the important bits in a very active and conscious way when making music (or any other art) while also giving due attention to other musical details.

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Another thought, like Pogo's teacher who is 70 years old and still plays like a demon, the older musicians that I love, tend to retain their amazing youthful qualities. They don't lose the fire and brilliance, the need to communicate, the energy, enthusiasm, excitement, freshness etc.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
www.pianocraft.net

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kevinb
Originally Posted by stores
Secondly, there is no "uh-oh", because simply walking on stage, or entering the hall, without yet sitting down to the keyboard said person with extended life experiences brings with them a greater palette from which to draw.

The problem here is that I don't have the faintest idea what this drawing with a 'greater palette' means. I know what it means with respect to painting or photography, but as to how that concept transfers to musical performance, I truly have no idea.

I'm not suggest for a moment that the concept is meaningless, but I do believe it's an esoteric statement -- one that does not translate easily into aspects of musical performance that are actually observable.

Good Lord. Never mind.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Another thought, like Pogo's teacher who is 70 years old and still plays like a demon, the older musicians that I love, tend to retain their amazing youthful qualities. They don't lose the fire and brilliance, the need to communicate, the energy, enthusiasm, excitement, freshness etc.

I think it's because he golfs.. haha

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.

I think it's because he golfs.. haha

Golf will help one experience a whole new range of the emotions of frustration, hatred, misery, exasperation, profound anger, and on rare occassion just enough bliss to get you to go back and live through it all again.
Hey, kind of like piano!

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
www.pianocraft.net

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Secondly, there is no "uh-oh", because simply walking on stage, or entering the hall, without yet sitting down to the keyboard said person with extended life experiences brings with them a greater palette from which to draw.

The problem here is that I don't have the faintest idea what this drawing with a 'greater palette' means. I know what it means with respect to painting or photography, but as to how that concept transfers to musical performance, I truly have no idea.

I'm not suggest for a moment that the concept is meaningless, but I do believe it's an esoteric statement -- one that does not translate easily into aspects of musical performance that are actually observable.

Good Lord. Never mind.

OK, so you don't actually have a defensible response. Fair enough.

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by liszt85
Btw, I'm not sure either that a 60 year old, on average, has experienced very many emotions more than a 40 year old for instance..

I suspect that's true. I don't think it's necessarily even true that a 60-year old has experienced a greater variety of emotional events than a 40-year old. And as for the subjective appreciation of those events, as others have noted, it's possible that a teenager has a more emotional response to a particular event than an adult would have.

This is just too complex a subject to make generalizations about.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
What more evidence do people need other than sheer experince? Not to mention what you hear in a performance...

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
L
liszt85 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
Btw, I'm not sure either that a 60 year old, on average, has experienced very many emotions more than a 40 year old for instance..

I suspect that's true. I don't think it's necessarily even true that a 60-year old has experienced a greater variety of emotional events than a 40-year old. And as for the subjective appreciation of those events, as others have noted, it's possible that a teenager has a more emotional response to a particular event than an adult would have.

This is just too complex a subject to make generalizations about.

Yea too complex but certainly worth thinking about. wink I'm beginning to see why modern composers focus on sound rather than emotion. I think the classical/romantic composers have explored emotional response in great enough detail.. To let the sound be for what it is (without manipulating sound with emotional response as a goal), seems to be the new motto, to explore various different sonic landscapes (soundscapes?) seems to be the new objective and focus (Steve Reich, John Cage, anybody?). Anyway, that might be discussion for another day.

L
liszt85 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
What more evidence do people need other than sheer experince? Not to mention what you hear in a performance...

The problem is people like Keith (and many others) made exactly the opposite judgment about GG's recordings from yours. I don't think that was necessarily because one of you is a superior musician. So I don't think what you suggest here really throws any light on the issue. What's evident to me in a performance isn't to you and vice versa. I am obviously not as good a pianist as you are but I do have a good head on my shoulders and have listened to enough music and a wide range of music, so my musical experience that way might be comparable to yours. So what is it that makes you perceive something in a performance that I might not (and vice versa)? Most likely Social and Psychological factors in a major part. Musical training differences might only be a small part of the explanation (so I don't dispute the fact that you might hear more nuances than I do for instance in pieces that you've studied but those that I haven't..the question though is are those nuances a direct result of the emotions experienced by the musician or is it simply good technique and a good understanding of the piece rather than an acute emotional experience of it by the performer? I know you and stores think it is the former that weighs heavily, some others think its the latter that outweighs the former by a good deal and I belong to that camp..none of this is currently verifiable of course. Sheer experience isn't evidence precisely because of the Psychological factors and other confounds people have mentioned in this thread and elsewhere).

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P

Yep, that seems to make sense too but wearing stores' hat, I'd argue that music training (and practice) is exactly about this: Where the common man reacts to these experiences by "mellowing down", an older artist might strive consciously and actively to draw upon all of it to make art..so he might not necessarily drown out the emotional aspects but rather focus on the important bits in a very active and conscious way when making music (or any other art) while also giving due attention to other musical details.

Yes, which is probably why older pianists tend to be better at interpreting things like Debussy and Ravel, where the music deals mostly in subtle shades and nuances and adult pianists can use their "refined" and "mellowed" to really bring out the subtle nuances of texture and tone. However, I think younger ones can be better at "heart-on-the-sleeve" stuff like Chopin, Liszt, and Rachmaninov. Older pianists can have a tendency to "over-think" music and be more "reserved" whereas young people tend to be far more spontaneous, dramatic, and fearless. This can make for a very exciting performance and while of course refinement and control is always a good thing, I don't see anything as "better"-just as different. Both have their own good qualities...

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Please discuss only music in this thread. Let the flame wars continue (or not, if the mods decide to shut that down) in the "boring people.." thread.

1) One interesting question was if personal life experiences really matter in one's ability to generate an "authentic" interpretation of any given piece of music. The specific example discussed there was the Funeral March from Chopin's sonata.

2)If they do, how is it that young people seem to be able to give as authentic an interpretation as those of older more "mature" and experienced musicians (or is it just an illusion? Do you think that given equivalent musical and pianistic abilities, a pianist later in his life would have a better interpretation of the piece than his own interpretation 30 years ago? You could discuss this in the light of the 1955 and 1981 Glenn Gould recordings. If you thought the 1981 recording was more "mature", do you have specific musical terms that can describe why it was the case?

3) Pianoloverus raised the issue about child prodigies and how some of them seem to be able to come up with very good interpretations of many compositions. I speculated that it might simply be mimicry of the highest quality. Some others agreed too. Discuss.

(Can't remember if there were other interesting questions posed in that thread. I do wish to (yet again) point out that perceived emotion and felt emotion need to be distinguished. My stance is that one can certainly perceive the melancholy and the desired effect that the Funeral March intends without actually having to go through an internal grieving process (either at the time of performance of any time in the past) and that is sufficient to generate an "authentic" performance of that piece.

Discuss.

One simple answer is that expression in performance requires a technique, just as playing the notes requires technique. Technique can be taught, presumably to the receptive child as well as to the adult. This "teaching" may come in many forms, i.e., teachers and other performers. I think life experience contributes to understanding the depth of what needs to be learned, but apparently it can be taught by rote as well: Witness the prodigy child.

I remember an interview I heard with the great Shakespearean actor Laurence Olivier, who said that he couldn't actually be Hamlet eight times a week because the emotional range would kill him. He had to develop a technique to make the audience believe he was Hamlet. My view as a performer is similar to his. In performance we can't really go to those extreme emotional places or we would lose control of all else. The art of performing is about control, so that the listener has the emotional experience that we performers have imagined.

It may be true that the young performer responds more to "flash" than to "Innigkeit," that he might be more attracted to bravura display than to introspection. After all, youth still has to prove itself. But I don't think that "passionate" playing is necessarily reserved for the young or "cool" playing to the old.

So, yes, in order to maximize the experience of the listener I think it's important for artists to be part of life, to experience life, in order to empathize with one another and in so doing reach out through music.

Last edited by NeilOS; 06/27/11 01:35 PM.

Concert Pianist, University Professor, Private Teacher in Los Angeles
Blog: http://www.pianoteacherlosangeles.com/
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by NeilOS
Please discuss only music in this thread. Let the flame wars continue (or not, if the mods decide to shut that down) in the "boring people.." thread.

1) One interesting question was if personal life experiences really matter in one's ability to generate an "authentic" interpretation of any given piece of music. The specific example discussed there was the Funeral March from Chopin's sonata.

2)If they do, how is it that young people seem to be able to give as authentic an interpretation as those of older more "mature" and experienced musicians (or is it just an illusion? Do you think that given equivalent musical and pianistic abilities, a pianist later in his life would have a better interpretation of the piece than his own interpretation 30 years ago? You could discuss this in the light of the 1955 and 1981 Glenn Gould recordings. If you thought the 1981 recording was more "mature", do you have specific musical terms that can describe why it was the case?

3) Pianoloverus raised the issue about child prodigies and how some of them seem to be able to come up with very good interpretations of many compositions. I speculated that it might simply be mimicry of the highest quality. Some others agreed too. Discuss.

(Can't remember if there were other interesting questions posed in that thread. I do wish to (yet again) point out that perceived emotion and felt emotion need to be distinguished. My stance is that one can certainly perceive the melancholy and the desired effect that the Funeral March intends without actually having to go through an internal grieving process (either at the time of performance of any time in the past) and that is sufficient to generate an "authentic" performance of that piece.

Discuss.

One simple answer is that expression in performance requires a technique, just as playing the notes requires technique. Technique can be taught, presumably to the receptive child as well as to the adult. This "teaching" may come in many forms, i.e., teachers and other performers. I think life experience contributes to understanding the depth of what needs to be learned, but apparently it can be taught by rote as well: Witness the prodigy child.

I remember an interview I heard with the great Shakespearean actor Laurence Olivier, who said that he couldn't actually be Hamlet eight times a week because the emotional range would kill him. He had to develop a technique to make the audience believe he was Hamlet. My view as a performer is similar to his. In performance we can't really go to those extreme emotional places or we would lose control of all else. The art of performing is about control, so that the listener has the emotional experience that we performers have imagined.

So, yes, I think it's important for artists to be part of life, to experience life, in order to empathize with one another and in so doing reach out through music.

Which reminds me of Evgeny Kissin saying he had to take at least three days break in between performances in order to "recharge"...
However, I find lots of musical performers giving it everything they've got during a performance. When everything is perfectly controlled, I find myself bored. I like a bit of spontaneity.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by chobeethaninov

Discuss.

So, yes, I think it's important for artists to be part of life, to experience life, in order to empathize with one another and in so doing reach out through music.

Which reminds me of Evgeny Kissin saying he had to take at least three days break in between performances in order to "recharge"...
However, I find lots of musical performers giving it everything they've got during a performance. When everything is perfectly controlled, I find myself bored. I like a bit of spontaneity.

This idea of spontaneity is very interesting. I think I know what you mean. It's a certain excitement, that the performer has a devil-may-care, throw caution to the wind attitude. I think this is very good acting; it's what a great performance should be.

When I was studying the Hammerklavier sonata, I read an article about it by the great Donald Tovey. He said the piece was meant to sound craggy and technically "difficult." Well, I thought, I'm going to find an easy way to make it sound craggy and difficult. This is, I think, the performance ideal: Find a way to create spontaneity.

Last edited by NeilOS; 06/27/11 01:51 PM.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N

Good Lord. Never mind.

Well, in defense of the palette, we refer to color quite often in piano playing, which is really about voicing. I once saw a marvelous cartoon in New Yorker in which the cartoonist had placed a big black piano on a darkened stage. The pianist was in black, but out of the open lid came a floating staff with notes in every imaginable color. I use that example to this day and it seems to resonate with students.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think Kissin was simply saying that a performance requires energy and can be draining. Also, I think a performer can give it everything and give a perfectly controlled performance. To me, loss of control implies technical limitations.

IMO adjectives like "perfectly controlled" or "spontaneous" mean diffferent thinkgs to different people.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think Kissin was simply saying that a performance requires energy and can be draining. Also, I think a performer can give it everything and give a perfectly controlled performance. To me, loss of control implies technical limitations.

IMO adjectives like "perfectly controlled" or "spontaneous" mean diffferent thinkgs to different people.

What I mean is not a "sloppy" performance but rather something like what NeliOS was describing.

This idea of spontaneity is very interesting. I think I know what you mean. It's a certain excitement, that the performer has a devil-may-care, throw caution to the wind attitude. I think this is very good acting; it's what a great performance should be.

When I was studying the Hammerklavier sonata, I read an article about it by the great Donald Tovey. He said the piece was meant to sound craggy and technically "difficult." Well, I thought, I'm going to find an easy way to make it sound craggy and difficult. This is, I think, the performance ideal: Find a way to create spontaneity.

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K

These are the sorts of statements that people tend to make when they don't actually have any basis for a proper argument.

Anything that is as obvious as you want to suggest should be describable in terms of common-sense language. If it isn't, why might that be?

L
liszt85 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L

These are the sorts of statements that people tend to make when they don't actually have any basis for a proper argument.

Anything that is as obvious as you want to suggest should be describable in terms of common-sense language. If it isn't, why might that be?

Kevin, might it be because we as a race haven't yet invented the language for it yet? Just because something isn't describable doesn't necessarily mean it isn't there.

Also string theory for instance isn't exactly describable in "common-sense" language. That doesn't mean however that it doesn't make sense. laugh Just pointing out that this particular objection might not be a valid one. However, yes, every attempt must be made to use something other than "it ought to be obvious to you" to describe it (i.e., at least try to describe it or try to explain why it isn't exactly describable).

Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission