2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ruxe - there are pros and cons to both digital and acoustic, you just have to find out what your main needs are.

If you'll need to practice late at night or if your practice might cause problems with your peers, a digital mightn't be a bad move. Also, as has been pointed out, moving and tuning an acoustic is expensive if you're on a tight budget.

I personally would love to have an acoustic again as there's nothing quite like the sound and feel of one - but it's not possible for many reasons at this time. Then again, even if I did have an acoustic, I'd still use the digital for so many things, especially practicing new stuff when I don't fancy flaunting my mistakes all over the place and also practicing silently and/or in the wee sma' hours.

Here's a thought. Get yourself a pen and a piece of paper and work out your needs - space, other people, noise factors, practice times, budget - and make your decision based on that.

Good luck.

Currently playing an Axus D2.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gyro
If cost is a major consideration, I would recommend that you don't buy a digital. There are acoustic pianos available for free at your college, so why not use them. Also, all 88-key keyboards are the same size, so any digital piano will take up approximately the same floor space as an acoustic upright piano, about 5' x 2'. This is surprising to many because digitals at first glance appear to be very compact. So if an acoustic upright piano would not fit in your dorm room, then neither will any digital piano. The standard 2-person college dorm room is way to small for a digital, because once you set it up, even a portable stage piano, you can't really take it down easily and store it away after each use.

Digitals are the best thing for developing technique, and you won't hurt your playing any by practicing on one. It has been pointed out in the past on this forum that big-time concert pianists like Andre Watts and Valentina Lisitsa use digitals. But getting a digital at this time would probably not be practical.

gyros, Au Contraire, Mon Frère, some digitals, like my Casio Privia are quite compact and very portable!

Here's my sweet setup:

[Linked Image]

Oh, and here's a closeup of that piece up there. I'm almost done!!!! yippie

[Linked Image]

PS-I got that tabletop music stand from Amazon. Works nicely!

Last edited by CebuKid; 06/25/11 01:39 AM.

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Hey Cebukid, I see you're working on the Crysanthemum, how's that going?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
What is the model of that music rest for the table top?

Marcus Valdes

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chris G
Hey Cebukid, I see you're working on the Crysanthemum, how's that going?

Chris G, it's going great. I finished the 1st, 3rd, and 4th sections, and can play these at about 75% speed. I have about 3 trouble spots that I need to overcome - I mess up when I play at full tempo, but that's usually the case. The 2nd strain is simple and I plan to start next week and finish it in one week. Then, there's putting it all together and polishing. That can take anywhere between a month or 2. smile

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mivaldes
What is the model of that music rest for the table top?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GFQ10

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W

- Will a digital piano inhibit the development of piano skills.

Yes I believe so. But a digital has merits too and it might be better than having nothing to play on smile

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by wouter79

- Will a digital piano inhibit the development of piano skills.

Yes I believe so. But a digital has merits too and it might be better than having nothing to play on smile

I'm not so sure about that. Pianists, since time immemorial, have had to be able to adjust from one instrument to another as acoustic pianos aren't exactly portable. I've heard of some teachers who encourage their pupils to play on as many instruments as possible so's they can adapt to playing on whatever piano a particular performance venue throws at them.

Providing the digital has 88 graded hammer action keys and a 3 pedal unit, moving from a digital piano to an acoustic and back again could fulfil that particular need.

I'd much rather play on a low-end digital piano than some of the old acoustics I've come across.

Don't get me wrong, I love acoustics but just because it IS acoustic, doesn't make it the best choice for a developing pianist.

Last edited by Sly Cat; 06/25/11 04:58 PM.

Currently playing an Axus D2.

Ruxe Offline OP
OP Offline
I just want to thank everyone for helping me out with this "Beginner's Dilemma" smile. I feel much more informed and better prepared for the coming transition. I would really like to offer something back to the community for their help, but unfortunately in terms of piano advice I have very little to offer haha. However, If any of you -for some reason- need help with math or physics, just pm me and I would be glad to try and help. I hope you all enjoy your summers!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ruxe
However, If any of you -for some reason- need help with math or physics, just pm me and I would be glad to try and help. I hope you all enjoy your summers!

LOL, I'll take you up on this one day. I am 20 years removed from math and physics studies myself and may need a refresher. smile

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission