2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 143 of 341 1 2 141 142 143 144 145 340 341
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks guys
Yes Klink, JT is a big influence although I don't know that particular disc. I used to have lessons with JT many years ago.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
The first track starts off in the same manner as your impro. Plucked strings, and octave pentatonics. It's a great disc.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Scott Coletta

The above is of course all over the Eb pedal so it's just modal I guess. No harmonic functions that I'm aware of.

Wha....? The functions of the chords in bar three to four are cadencial. The Ab has to be a resting point.

As for bar the B section, one and two it really goes from stable to unstable, acting like I to V variants.

I guess I should work up a recording sometime soon too...

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy

The above is of course all over the Eb pedal so it's just modal I guess. No harmonic functions that I'm aware of.

Wha....? The functions of the chords in bar three to four are cadencial. The Ab has to be a resting point.

As for bar the B section, one and two it really goes from stable to unstable, acting like I to V variants.

Yea, I see what you mean. I should've thought about it more smile. In particular if the Ab is the goal in the first section, the A7 is certainly moving towards that and even the first chord seen as Ebsus sets up the Ab as the resting point. There's no doubt that there is a constant shifting between stable and unstable. I just don't really see it as being conventional, but rather more obscured by the unusual harmonic structures. It seems that the underlying modes can be more easily traced back to conventional tonic-dominant relationships.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
jjo,

On yours, I would like to learn Peri's Scope and Four. I know them but never learned.

The ones on my list were provided by the vocalist. I couldn't play the head on these (just sight reading the changes). Fine and Mellow is just Billy Holiday Blues. No big deal.

Recordame (Joe Henderson) is a great tune. It's usually a favorite of horn players and I hear it often around town. Typically among the popular modern sounding tunes.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Yea, I see what you mean. I should've thought about it more smile. In particular if the Ab is the goal in the first section, the A7 is certainly moving towards that and even the first chord seen as Ebsus sets up the Ab as the resting point. There's no doubt that there is a constant shifting between stable and unstable. I just don't really see it as being conventional, but rather more obscured by the unusual harmonic structures. It seems that the underlying modes can be more easily traced back to conventional tonic-dominant relationships.

IMHO - My analsis earlier breaks it up into various V chords (functionally or tritone subs). So if I look at it as Eb Pedal, they really are functional. Taken with the bass pedal, the logic is pretty hard to grasp.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
BTW - I did get a chance to show what I intended with Naima to my teacher and for the most part he thinks I did the right thing (voicings and scales). So hopefully I won't mess up the gig tomorrow.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Beeboss, that sounded great with the variations. thumb I think I liked the last variation the best. Just sounded really fitting. I enjoyed the experimentation on the rhythmic side. Really fresh sounding.

I was doing my last practice of Naima before playing it on the gig tomorrow. This is making me nervous because I'm still getting lost with the last A in AABA. This is going to mess me up if I don't get this right. The changes go so slowly that I forget If I've done 2 or 3 A's.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Scott, that was great setting a groove on solo piano. Tough to maintain that. Really good ideas there. I really liked the effect of E7#11 and you went outside. It was tastefully done. What did you play there?

I don't have much piano time in today so I'll have to discuss things in theory here.

Thanks for the comments jazzwee. I'm going to keep working on it. Are you referring to my voicing for the E7#11 during the head or what I played during the improv?

I meant the improv. I was just curious what you played there.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chrisbell
Naima at home.

Recorded live at home on a H2 playing my 1928 Östlind & Almquist upright.

Note to self: oil the sustain pedal and get a new chair asap!

Very nice, Chris. The further you get into the improv the more I like it, especially around the 5min mark.

However, I don't find the rhythymic accompaniment of the chair to be as polished as the rest of the performance. Perhaps you need to focus on using less polyrhythms in your lower body and set a more stable feel with those squeaks.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So here's my work in progress on Naima...

I think I like the idea of keeping the Eb and Bb pedals consistent throughout... kind of like a drone effect. But I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

http://www.box.net/shared/jnvvr3x11m9r7lqms6nd

I like this, Scott. The drone/ostinato works well, and you really pull off the consistency, especially when you get the 'middle hands' going at the same time as the melody and bass at around the 40 second mark. This is something I always like to work on, so it's nice to hear someone else doing it so well.

I also like how you get around the different scales and modes, especially bar 3 and it's later equivalent.

Too bad you cut it off before the finish. Maybe another take with the coda next time?

Keep it up!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss
So I had a go at it as well. I don't really know the tune well so there are some errors in the tune. I did more of a kind of theme and variations approach just exploring some different ideas. Some work better than others I think. Its easy to tell when I listen back.

http://www.divshare.com/download/15162500-152

Nice as always, Beeboss. The interesting thing about your comment about the errors in the tune is that I'm pretty certain most people would not know which errors you may be referring to, and that they'd think of them as playing an alternate scale/chord at those points.

Also, the strummed string stuff reminds me of Jessica Williams. Are you familiar with her?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by beeboss
So I had a go at it as well. I don't really know the tune well so there are some errors in the tune. I did more of a kind of theme and variations approach just exploring some different ideas. Some work better than others I think. Its easy to tell when I listen back.

http://www.divshare.com/download/15162500-152

Nice as always, Beeboss. The interesting thing about your comment about the errors in the tune is that I'm pretty certain most people would not know which errors you may be referring to, and that they'd think of them as playing an alternate scale/chord at those points.

Also, the strummed string stuff reminds me of Jessica Williams. Are you familiar with her?

Thanks Sceptical, the error that jumps out at me is that I got one of the notes in the melody wrong each time. I was reading the melody from a mini real book without my glasses, that is my excuse. But there was one chord that sounded like it might be a misprint (last chord in b section) but as I was already playing it I couldn't check with a recording.

No I am not that familiar with Jessica Williams, but I just found her on youtube and was enjoying it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKL9PNH982A&feature=related

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks scep for your comments on my Naima. I just didn't finish because I'm really not that comfortable with it yet and I figured I'd just crash and burn if I kept going. It's a fun tune so I'll put it on my list and keep at it!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
However, I don't find the rhythymic accompaniment of the chair to be as polished as the rest of the performance. Perhaps you need to focus on using less polyrhythms in your lower body and set a more stable feel with those squeaks.

"Yoru wish is my command."
-Sheik Yerbouti

ps: i'll have to listen you other guys when i get back from the sticks. i'm out in the northern part of the stockholm archipelago celebrating midsummer (which is a big thing here).

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Jazzwee, on the E7#11 I'm just using E half-whole dim. Sometimes I play E lydian-dominant or some blend of that and the half-whole scale. Not sure what I did on the recording.

Regarding the functioning of harmony in the A section, I wasn't sure about how you got this...

B7#11/Eb - I think of this as EbAlt, which then functions as a V chord back to the A7#11.

I see how thinking of the B7#11/Eb as Ebalt makes sense (B whole tone = Eb whole tone), but wouldn't that be V of Ab? I'm thinking that the B7#11 is one "form" of Eb dominant and the A7#11 is another "form", being that it's a tritone sub.

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Jazzwee: If you get a chance to learn Peri's Scope, which is a fun, light, tune, my trio does a cool think Bill Evans does in his live Montreaux recording: you and the drummer trade 8s, then 4s, then 2s and then 1s. It's a wild ride (and not easy to keep track of where you are), but a lot of fun. Not sure I'd do it in public without a dry run, however.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Jazzwee, on the E7#11 I'm just using E half-whole dim. Sometimes I play E lydian-dominant or some blend of that and the half-whole scale. Not sure what I did on the recording.

Regarding the functioning of harmony in the A section, I wasn't sure about how you got this...

B7#11/Eb - I think of this as EbAlt, which then functions as a V chord back to the A7#11.

I see how thinking of the B7#11/Eb as Ebalt makes sense (B whole tone = Eb whole tone), but wouldn't that be V of Ab? I'm thinking that the B7#11 is one "form" of Eb dominant and the A7#11 is another "form", being that it's a tritone sub.

Hey Scott. My thought was that B7#11/Eb when looked at as B7 doesn't relay its function.

But when looked at as a Eb7 with various alterations, then it makes sense for it to resolve to Ab.

A7#11/Eb - again when looked at as an A7, it doesn't relay it's function. But it's really another Eb dominant chord with just different alterations.

In my mind, from an analysis point of view, I was just thinking how an Eb chord is made to appear to have motion by having some of the inner voices move and that's what I perceive the intent here. It is of course a common technique in a lot of tunes to go from a minor chord (Eb-7 to Eb7) which feels like a passing chord. And it is also common to find a movement like Eb7 to Eb7Alt which also feels like another passing chord.

I recall a tune that has a lot of these passing chords being Along Came Betty (Benny Golson). So whenever I see the use of Alt, I immediately think if it's function is as a passing chord (suggesting inner voice motion).

Now, although, I've done some analysis of it a Eb chords and Bb chords (in this tune), I don't (so far) think of that when I'm playing it. I'm more conscious of it as individual chords without the bass pedal.

Perhaps Coltrane was aware of the dual effect of this, that there's one side that draws you in to just thinking of inner voice movement in Eb and Bb. But then one is free to avoid all that and think of seemingly unrelated chords with a more modal sounding effect.

It seems so brilliant how it was done.

HOWEVER -- it seems difficult for the same reason to come up with a melodic theme that's memorable. Everyone (including me when I practice this) is just playing over the changes. That kind of revelation may be more difficult to come by.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I follow what you're saying Jazzwee cool. You're articulating more clearly what I was trying to say about different "forms" of Eb7 when you talk about passing chords with inner voice motion. And I see what you mean about the dual effect of playing different chords over a pedal. This is definitely an interesting study of harmony in this tune.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
so what's the setup for tonight JW ?

Page 143 of 341 1 2 141 142 143 144 145 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission