2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
115 members (anotherscott, Bach On Lock, 36251, benQF, Bebe1980, An Old Square, bimzdbear, Bruce In Philly, 23 invisible), 1,246 guests, and 468 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Aidan Offline OP
OP Offline
I'd ideally like the Nord to offer at least one "harder" touch response curve but overall, yes. All these things are compromises, the Nord is no exception, but it's a pretty good compromise.

Live: Casio PX-5S | Hammond SK1
Studio: Yamaha CP4 | Hammond SK2 | Kurzweil PC361 | Moog Sub 37
R
R
Originally Posted by Aidan
I'd ideally like the Nord to offer at least one "harder" touch response curve but overall, yes. All these things are compromises, the Nord is no exception, but it's a pretty good compromise.

I could not agree more. I've used one of my other weighted keyboards to trigger the NP88 and customized the curve for a harder feel, much better.

Music Hack

Nord NP88,Yamaha Motif ES7, Ensoniq KS32, Brodmann 187 Grand, JV2080, GR20, JV90, MKS-20, Sonar S1, Reaper, ACID, Record/Reason, Samplitude, VOX Tonelab, Tech21 Power Engine, NI, Kore, True Piano, Sampletank, Komplete, Bluesky Studio Monitors Yamaha 01X, Line 6 HD500, tons of guitars.
R
R
I had some time to play with the new "Bright Grand" and I am loving it. I have not tried it at a show yet but somehow I think this patch will be perfect for my rock band. I hope Clavia keeps them coming. The ability to get new sounds is one of the largest part of the NP88 added value.

Music Hack

Nord NP88,Yamaha Motif ES7, Ensoniq KS32, Brodmann 187 Grand, JV2080, GR20, JV90, MKS-20, Sonar S1, Reaper, ACID, Record/Reason, Samplitude, VOX Tonelab, Tech21 Power Engine, NI, Kore, True Piano, Sampletank, Komplete, Bluesky Studio Monitors Yamaha 01X, Line 6 HD500, tons of guitars.
J
J
Care to put the Bos and Bright Grand through DPBSD? smile

Nord Piano | Yamaha S90ES | Yamaha MOX 8 | Neumann U87 | Metric Halo 2882
J
J
BTW has anyone tried to reverse engineer the .npno format to extract the samples? And has anybody tried to resample it (use an automated tool to sample every key at many velocities)?

S
S
Originally Posted by James Pun
BTW has anyone tried to reverse engineer the .npno format to extract the samples? And has anybody tried to resample it (use an automated tool to sample every key at many velocities)?

Although I haven't reverse engineered the npno or straight Nord sample files, I have it on good authority that the npno files are based around a lossless format such as FLAC. This means that the actual WAV/PCM captured audio stream is more than likely a third or more bigger than the sample you're uploading into your keyboard.

Nord Stage 2, VAX77
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Siriosys

Although I haven't reverse engineered the npno or straight Nord sample files, I have it on good authority that the npno files are based around a lossless format such as FLAC. This means that the actual WAV/PCM captured audio stream is more than likely a third or more bigger than the sample you're uploading into your keyboard.

Siriosys - for the benefit of those less informed (like me), explain in more detail what you are saying here. Is this a good thing - the actual sample is more detailed then the size of the file would dictate? meaning that the uploaded file's content is "richer" than its size would ordinarily indicate? or is it the reverse...

thanks!

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
A
A
I tried the Bright Grand in a jam session with a couple of mates last night. I was wondering why the heck it sounded so ugly, then I realized that the treble was set way too high. After that, I really liked the sound of the piano. That and the Studio 2 are my favs, I think the Bosendorfer sounds so weird, is it supposed to sound so 'weird', are they really that characterristic in real life?

Nord Stage 2, Nord Lead 4, Rhodes MkII, Yamaha MOX6, Novation SL MkII
S
S
Originally Posted by bfb

Siriosys - for the benefit of those less informed (like me), explain in more detail what you are saying here. Is this a good thing - the actual sample is more detailed then the size of the file would dictate? meaning that the uploaded file's content is "richer" than its size would ordinarily indicate? or is it the reverse...

thanks!

My apologies for not making things clear. Instead of detail, I'll get straight to the point. In short, yes, it's definitely a good thing!! File formats like FLAC tend to provide the same level of fidelity as their larger WAV format files but in a reduced file size. So in short, you're winning!

I don't know the exact details about the npno format, but it would be fair to say, that the 190Mb Bosie sample possibly started out life in a larger format, but they've been able reduce the filesize to fit it into the Nord's limited memory capacity without losing too much fidelity - and that's a good thing.

Nord Stage 2, VAX77
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
...without losing too much fidelity...

Technically speaking, if the Nord samples are indeed compressed using an algorithm like FLAC, there will be absolutely no loss in fidelity.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
S
Yep, you're right James, I was just choosing my words carefully......lol

Regrettably, I've had many a discussion with audiophools who insist there is a reduction in fidelity between those two formats which has led me to choose my words more carefully.

Nord Stage 2, VAX77
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by bfb

thanks!

My apologies for not making things clear. Instead of detail, I'll get straight to the point. In short, yes, it's definitely a good thing!! File formats like FLAC tend to provide the same level of fidelity as their larger WAV format files but in a reduced file size. So in short, you're winning!

I don't know the exact details about the npno format, but it would be fair to say, that the 190Mb Bosie sample possibly started out life in a larger format, but they've been able reduce the filesize to fit it into the Nord's limited memory capacity without losing too much fidelity - and that's a good thing.

thanks much for clarifying! (you too Kawai J)

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
So I've been using the new Bright Grand S4, and live it works beautifully. Roll off the highs a bit and it's still cutting through like no other. Plus, it appears to be the most even all the way across the register. Yamaha C7 Studio Grand 2 and new Yamaha S4 Bright Grand are by far the best sounding pianos in the Nord Piano Library, and maybe inside a DP!

Kawai MP7SE w/ GFP-3
P
P
Originally Posted by Auver
I think the Bosendorfer sounds so weird, is it supposed to sound so 'weird', are they really that characterristic in real life?

I wouldn't describe them as weird. Beautiful and incredibly resonant would be more like it.

Here are three samples I just recorded a month ago:

I Will Give Thanks

Mychal

Hi All

Some more fun with the Nord Stage 2 - here is another video demoing my favorite Electric piano, B3 and also piano patches from the NS2.

More of a cool jazz theme this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efnCdrXjmCA

Just an fyi - later this week I will be doing comparison of the same sounds with the Kronos 88.

Cheers

Kurzweil Forte
Hammond SK-2 with Neo Ventilator
Yamaha CP-4
Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2
Roland Axe Synth
Lenovo X230 tablet running Brainspawn Forte
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Peakly

The Bosie sounds wonderful Mychal. Nice recording quality on both the vocals and vid too. How did you get the piano to not bleed into the vocal mics ? What are you using for mics on the Bosie ? Is that a stereo bar you have the piano mics on ?

A real good looking and sounding production overall. thumb ...oh and a very nice tune too.

Originally Posted by GospelKeys
Hi All

Some more fun with the Nord Stage 2 - here is another video demoing my favorite Electric piano, B3 and also piano patches from the NS2.

More of a cool jazz theme this time.

Just an fyi - later this week I will be doing comparison of the same sounds with the Kronos 88.

Cheers

Ditto for you Jeff. The piano on your NS2 sounds excellent ! Looking forward to your recording with the Kronos.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, CP4
P
P
Thanks for all the kind words Dave! I seriously appreciate that. I read your post to Theresa too, and she said to thank you too.

How did you get the piano to not bleed into the vocal mics ?

Ha! Everything bled into everything. It was pretty funny during mixing. There is so much piano in my vocal mic that I couldn't ever turn it down, because it would affect the overall piano volume too much. There was quite a bit of bass in my vocal mic too, from the monitors we were using in the room. And our vocals are definitely in those condensers on the piano.

They are a pair of Shure KSM9s. They are not really made for piano - mostly considered a vocal mic I think. But since we use the dynamics for vocals now, it freed up our KSM9s, and they do a pretty nice job. I'm just using them as a spaced pair. They are on two separate stands, fairly close to the strings up towards the front of the piano. I pointed them away from each other a little, towards the bass and the treble.

What do you use to mic your piano? Do you record it with the lid all the way up?

Mychal

J
J

Excellent! Is the organ sound from the MOTIF or NS2? Are you using the MOTIF synth keys to trigger the NS2 organ?

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Peakly

What do you use to mic your piano? Do you record it with the lid all the way up?

Mychal

I use a pair of DPA 4011 SDCs. They're pretty much industry standards, I love 'em. Yeah I record the D on full stick. I've experimented with mic placing and I actually like the mics fairly close to the hammers, at least these mics.

I just sold my vocal mic but I was messing around doing piano/vocal live to two track with a Soundelux E49. I used to place some acoustic panels up behind the music desk as to give me a little separation between vocal and piano. It worked great but would definitely look weird on a music video , also there were no other instruments playing.

Ah, KSM9s, interesting. Yeah those are basically the equivalent of my Neumann KMS-105--more a high end stage condenser vocal mic. In any case the piano sounds real rich and full of body. You must have good pres and converters.

Is that the Bosendorfer 200 CS ?

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, CP4
P
P

Nice, thanks for sharing smile

Which EP in the Nord are you playing and (roughly) what settings/effects did you apply? Sounds like "EPiano 2 MkI Suitcase, Close Ideal" I guess, with some Chorus or thereabout? That is also my current favourite.

Is the AP the new Bright Grand?

-- Per.

Hornung & Møller Acoustic Grand
Roland RD-700NX, Nord Electro 3, Yamaha P150, Roland JV-80
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
High end speaker v.s. a real sound board
by NavH - 01/20/22 10:33 AM
VST? Get an external DAC.
by Bruce In Philly - 01/20/22 10:19 AM
Vertigo, Pianos, and Earbud Speakers
by ClsscLib - 01/20/22 10:07 AM
Welcome New Members!
by Piano World - 01/20/22 09:53 AM
Memorization: Corea vs. Zhdanov
by Emery Wang - 01/20/22 09:03 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,259
Posts3,162,467
Members104,096
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission