2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1695146 06/13/11 08:42 PM
T
tygacj Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Here's my setup: Yamaha CP-5, KRK Rokit 6 monitors, Behringer mixer.

I bought the top of the line keyboard to get the most realistic feel and sound of an acoutic piano. Only problem is, the keyboard sounds muddy at the lower registers through studio monitors. I have to turn down the "low" equalizer all the way down to control the unwanted muddy sound. I read in this forum that the speakers are problem because it can not handle the low frequency. Is there a solution for this besides investing in bigger speakers, the speakers are the problem?

Thanks.

L
L
Just to make sure you rule things out, have you tried to run directly to the monitors just to make sure it's not something the mixer is introducing?

P
P
Hi,

Sorry if this sounds totally obvious, but sometimes the problem lies in room resonances, especially with small rooms.

I had a similar problem with my DP (i.e. the bass was at times overwhelming) and after some investigation I concluded that I had a problem with room acoustics (unfortunately there's no easy solution to that).

One way to check that would be to play a scale in the bottom registers and listen whether the 'muddy resonances' have a peak around some specific key. If this is the case, room acoustics could be an explanation.

Ciao,
Paolo

Yamaha CLP-970
Roland JV-1080
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
First things first, listen to the keyboard only using high quality headphones. How does it sound?

I will not assume that you've read the owner's manual, but you do realize there are two sets of EQ's for each sound - the master EQ on the right side of the keyboard and the dedicated EQ embedded in the sound itself which you access via the menus.

Does the mixer have a headphone output? Have you listened to the mixer output using headphones?

Have you played a CD using material you're familiar with through the same system at the same location? How does that sound?

Approach this systematically and you'll narrow down the weak link.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
T
tygacj Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Maybe its just me but the Yamaha CP5 is a not user friendly keyboard. I read through the manual a few times and its overwhelming. Thanks to everyone for helping out. I will find the weak link. good idea on bypassing the mixer and connecting the keyboard straight to the monitors.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tygacj
Maybe its just me but the Yamaha CP5 is a not user friendly keyboard. I read through the manual a few times and its overwhelming.

I find all but the simplest of Yamaha keyboards to have incredibly baffling user interfaces. And that's coming from someone who normally enjoys trying to figure out things that others have given up on.

After several bad experiences, my wife wisely doesn't touch any controls on the Yamaha she plays at church other than the on/off, volume, and the tone selector spinner - and when some unexpected behavior is encountered a quick power cycle is easier and surer than trying to get inside the heads of the mad scientists who designed that Frankenstein. I've played with it and can occasionally get it to do things like splits and layers, but I'd never attempt to get fancy with it in any kind of performance situation (not that I play much at all, mind you, but I completely understand her reticence).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tygacj
Maybe its just me but the Yamaha CP5 is a not user friendly keyboard. I read through the manual a few times and its overwhelming. Thanks to everyone for helping out. I will find the weak link. good idea on bypassing the mixer and connecting the keyboard straight to the monitors.

One very important thing to know is pressing a button quickly or pressing and holding it down it for a second or so, it'll make a difference. I agree that the interface is less than user friendly. It took me several days before I felt comfortable.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
A
A
Actually I think it's pretty simple once you've understood the idea behind it. And I'm not a computer geek at all :-)

Best

Andreas
P
P
Originally Posted by dewster
...when some unexpected behavior is encountered a quick power cycle is easier and surer than trying to get inside the heads of the mad scientists who designed that Frankenstein.

lol

I like my CP33. It's simple and straightforward to program, but you need a manual to know the secret codes!

Mychal

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peakly
I like my CP33. It's simple and straightforward to program, but you need a manual to know the secret codes!

Oh, I fully agree, very similar interface to our P120 and super easy to operate. Unless you want to change some odd parameter in the Function menu - probably a rare event for most users - then you need the manual to interpret what's going on with the LED display.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission