2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
There used to be a thread for those of us using Faber and Faber Piano Adventures, but it's been dormant for a long time and I can't find a more recent one. So here's a new one. Hopefully anyone using Faber & Faber will join in; I'd love to hear your experiences. Don't know if there's enough of us to support different threads for different levels, so for now I propose all levels on this thread. We can always split apart if we emerge from the woodwork in droves!

I'm a retread; taught myself to play at age 8 and continued playing for 10 years until I went away to college. Bought a piano (1985 Baldwin upright) this spring after 30 years away from it and am ecstatically in love. Worked through 1 1/2 books of the two Bastien for Older Beginners books, have worked through some of the Robert Pace books (the multikey approach is fantastic for getting you really familiar with the keyboard), and have now turned to Piano Adventures, starting up in Level 3A. Now on Unit 3, on 3/8 and 6/8 time. I looked at the Adult All-in-One but after working through the Bastien I've coverd most of that, plus I really really wanted the Technique Secrets as you get them in the regular course.

I also have a teacher who has me in Alfred Adult All-In-One Book 1, but my heart is with Faber.

What's your experience with Faber?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
P
P
I am using the Piano Adventures Book 1. I have only started lessons 3 months ago and am not very far in the book, but I like it so far. I'm learning Jingle Bells right now.

I am wanting to play Hymns and Southern Gospel, my problem is finding suplimental material at the level I am right now. It is all either just the right hand part, or too advanced.

Started lessons 03/22/11
Kawai CN34 (Purchased 05/24/14)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Are you using the children's Piano Adventures, or the Adult Piano Adventures?

I play from the Faber Adult Piano Adventures occasionally, but I really prefer Alfred. I think the music in Faber sounds better, but it's harder to self-teach from. I'm on Alfred Adult All-in-one Book 2, but I dip into my Adult Piano Adventures Book 1 when I hit a wall with Alfred. I will probably continue using both methods, because each one has some things that the other omits.

BTW, there are at least 2 Adult Piano Adventures threads. One is very old, and one is maybe a year or less old. They never really caught on though, because I don't think many people here use the Adult Piano Adventures as their primary method.

I think the last pieces I've worked on were Lion Sleeps Tonight, and Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
I'm using the non-adults Piano Adventures -- the regular one that children use. I like the music, the pictures, and the emphasis on technique.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Hi. I just started lessons this past week and my teacher suggested the Faber level 3A/3B books as a place for me to start (I had 5 years of organ lessons as a kid). Along with my recent piano purchase I got all of the music that person had and in there were several Faber books. None of the method books but several supplementary books. I decided to go back to the level 2B books as songs are a bit simpler and lets me focus better on my left hand (which is my weaker hand) and adding the right pedal and other dynamics and getting back to sight reading. I find the arrangements sound really nice and are fun to play. Currently from Faber I am working on

- Music Box Dancer in Chord Time Piano Popular Level 2B
- Toreador's Song in Fun Time Piano Classics Level 3

I think I might pick up some of the Faber technique books too but haven't had a chance to go through them to see if this will be a good fit for me.

I'm excited about the Faber series because I struggle to find pieces that are at my level (or slightly above so I feel I am still learning) that are fun to play and sound nice. I think I will be spending alot of time with the Faber supplementary materials. I have quite a selection to those books above including:

- Chord Time Piano Classics Level 2B
- Fun Time Piano Popular Level 3
- Fun Time Piano Ragtime and Marches Level 3A/3B
- Big Time Piano Classics Level 4

I did look through the Alfred series too but for now it will be Faber. Some of the longer pieces near the end of each level of Alfred will be a fun challenge in a few months I think.

Hopefully us few Faber folks can keep this thread going as I find it motivating to hear what other people are playing and/or of some great new songs to learn. I find I struggle with what to play next. Hopefully my teacher will be making some suggestions as we progress in the next few months.

O
O
I am a piano teacher and have used Piano Adventures many times for my adult beginner students. It is a wonderful comprehensive that teaches beginners to play in many hand positions from the get go (not just C position). It develops students to be well-rounded musicians and note readers. Good choice!

N
N
I graduated 2B last month and now working on 3A. I like both Alfred and PA. I think PA pieces are easier and musically better but Alfred pieces are more familiar and I like them a lot more. Ideally, I’d pick one and supplement with the other. It’s just hard to keep up so I had to drop Alfred. To me, PA level of difficulty increases gradually and is easier to progress. I haven’t hit any wall in PA as I used to in Alfred with a few of them like Blow the Man Down, Amazing Grace, He Got the Whole World in His Hands etc…

Mom3gram, how have you been? It’s been almost a year since I last posted. Glad to see you still actively participating in these threads.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
I did 2.5 books of PA (non-adult) but am transitioning out of method books and into traditional intermediate etudes and literature. We'll probably cherry pick a few (classical) pieces out of later P.A. books. I'm a big fan of PA and am very impressed with it's pedagogical method and progression. That is, it taught me piano whereas the red Bastien Adult book failed before.

Nguyen, it's good to "see" you after all this time.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
R
R
I've been playing piano since January, and I'm progressing thru the Alfred Adult Self Teaching book without too much difficulty. I'm curently working on Little Brown Jug, Chiapanacas and O Sole Mio.

My question and the reason I'm posting on this thread is that I'm very disappointed to find that when I try to play much easier pieces in other books, I can't play them the first couple times thru without a lot of mistakes. And I'm talking very basic books, like kids level two. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't feel like I have a very firm foundation in the basics. I'm worried about going farther in Alfred's because I'm afraid without a better grasp of the basics, I'm really going to have trouble farther down the line. Is this why some of you have switched to Piano Adventures, to get the basics down better?

E
E
Reiki3 - Don't feel too bad over not being able to play through stuff that you perceive as being easier than the stuff you're currently working on. I used to feel the same way, but over a longer period of time, this will get easier! You're still in the early stages of learning the piano. But to add some perspective, I doubt I could sail through The Entertainer at the end of Alfred's Adult Book 1 without a bit of refresher time, that's for sure! I'm beginning to wonder whether Van Cliburn could go play perfectly, a selection from Billy Joel's Greatest Hits without a little practice time either! grin

I've used Faber's Adult Piano Book 2 for a couple of pieces and started Alfred's Adult AIO 2 when I became dis-enchanted with it and switched to Alfred's Masterwork Classics series. I'm in Book 3 and working on Bourlesq by Daddy Mozart which co-incidently is on pg. 100 of Alfred's AIO 2. Even if you don't use all of the material from any given method book, there's always some little tip you pick up from each one that can be useful in the other method books.

Nguyen - Good to know you're still around! I thought maybe your son hijacked the piano and left you with just your ipod and laptop to play with!!! Please report in once in a while ...we miss you!

Last edited by Emissary52; 06/23/11 10:50 PM.

I'm Craig, I'm retired, It's Saturday every day!
Alfred's Masterwork Classics Vol 3 and Vol 4
YDP-160, GH-170R
Alfred 1 Graduate
R
R
Thank you for your reply, Emissary52! I feel better after reading that this is a pretty normal part of the learning curve. Without having a teacher, sometimes it's hard to tell what is a real roadblock to progress and what's just something that time and more practice will fix.

I think I might try getting an easy Piano Adventures book and try going through it for a different perspective on this fascinating journey of learning to play the piano.

And it sounds like you're doing VERY well since you're working on pieces from Book 3 of the Masterworks Classics!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi, Nguyen! I'm so glad to see you, and that you are still playing piano. I haven't been playing as much as I used to - I let other things get in the way like my watercolor painting and exercising (doc's orders). I'm still hanging in with Alfred, but ever since you started on the PA books, I've been tempted to get some of the kids version to see if I like them. Hope you continue to post now and then. We've missed you.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
As an adult learner (hate to say beginner) I have started and stopped several times with the Alfred books. I have bought several of the method books for children now (for my children) and I just don't like them. I picked up a book of Bach minuets and have been working for six weeks on the first one. It is hard, but I enjoy actually being able to play something that sounds like I know what I'm doing even if I don't! My family is sick of hearing it I'm sure, but I like the confidence it gives me. I think my new goal as an adult learner is just to slowly build my repertoire this way even if it takes me longer!

Marcus Valdes

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
get out of the method books as soon as you can and into the repertoire. thats when you really learn and can play =)

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
I worked my way through Faber Adult One. I quite enjoyed it but not enough to invest in Book 2. I reached about half way through Alfred Book 2 and am currently working through Book 2 of the Hal Leonard series. I used to supplement with other material but am limited time wise at the moment so I am mostly focused on slow progression with the method. I think that atually suits me more by helping me be more focused, though I can get a titsy bit bored with it at times.

P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
Great to see this small but enthusiastic band of Faberites!

mom3gram, I like the Piano Adventures (kids) music a lot better than Alfred. Also I think Piano Adventures gives more interesting things for the left hand to do, which in turn is IMHO a better education for the left hand.

I am currently working with the Faber All in One book 2 for adults. However, I have been spending most of my practice time working on The Entertainer. Once I get nail it, I'm going to focus on finishing the Faber book. I also have a Faber book of performances (3a I think.) I have played about half of the songs in that book.

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
N
N
KurtZ, thank you. It's good to see you too.

Craig, my son is good. He is 3 now and doesn't bother my practice as much anymore as he has his own toys. I miss this place too, just not much time to post and participate.

mom3gram, I'm good. I practice when I can but not as much anymore. I lurk once in awhile just to see what's up. I guess I will stop lurking when I stop piano but I hope that won't happen. I'd like to put my son through piano so I guess I have to do the dirty work in advance smile

Glad to see you're all well. I wish more will join to keep this thread alive for the few of us PA enthusiasts.

So long,

Nguyen - Student Pianist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hey there Nguyen. Nice to see you around again. I remember you from my old Alfred 1 days. Don't be such a stranger.

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
E
Michael, I too am working on The Entertainer and am just about ready to nail it as you say!
I find the Faber and Faber to be tough but it touches on so many varied aspects of piano playing. I play damn good at home but then when I get to my teacher's house I clam right up. Strange. I am almost done book 1 and have already purchased book 2. Any of you just pick up a piece of popular music and play that? I like to try different things and look forward to the day when I can pick up a piece of music unknown to me and just play to my heart's content. Hopefully that day will come. smile

My piano music is the expression of my heart!
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission