2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hi Tom,

I have to say "ditto" to the above statements. I gave myself piano lessons at 50 and there are those times that I can't seem to play anything right. All of the advice I have received has been to go slowly, in small doses, keep at it, and it will occur.

[Linked Image]
L
L
You sir inspire me.

I'm still young and I had to muster up the courage to take lessons. Kudos to you for going after what you want!

painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. ~Leopold Stokowski
OP Offline
Hi Everyone,

I need some encouragement. I am getting a little discouraged, feeling that I am not progressing fast enough. I feel some days, I don't remember anything. I have to practice things over and over again to finally get it.....I just get a little discouraged and feel incompetent with my piano teacher at times....but I know he understands.....does anyone else get this way? I sometimes think it is my age.....

Tom

Your objective feedback is welcome.
wj3 Offline
Hi Musical Tom. I started learning to play at 60. I've been at it for 5 years now. I think you play the Joplin piece very well. I think I hate you. Not really, but I love ragtime and only wish I could play that piece as well as you. I am working on a easy version of Bethena and have only gotten down parts A and B. And I have played it a million times and still make mistakes. So keep up the good work and keep your chin up. Yes my teacher gets on me from time to time about my progress and my practicing, but hey thats what I pay him for.

Welcome to the forumn, its a great place. Keep sending us those videos.

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
N
N
Wow.....I was just going to write an encouraging statement..I'm 58 and I am about 1.5 years into piano playing. Then I listened to your WONDERFUL youtube.....YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING!!! It was AWESOME! Now, I feel like I don't know jack!!!!

:-)

Keep playing those keys!!!

Nancy

Piano Obsession Log:
Began Piano 12/25/09 on Yamaha starter digital keyboard
Playing on circa 1917/18 Chickering Grand Piano since July 2010
Finished Alfred Book 1-August 2010
Started Book 2--August 11, 2010
Alfred Favorites Book

[Linked Image]

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Well, I’m 54 and have been learning to play the piano for about 5 years now. I’m having a ball! laugh

I really can’t play all that well, but for some reason it has inspired me to write about 30 original songs, lose 50 pounds and start body building. My blood pressure is 120 over 80 and my total cholesterol is almost in the below normal range. I feel better, younger and more vibrant than I have in years!

And, I’ve mentioned this here before, but I’ve noticed that when I’m at the grocery store shopping, the women I meet in the isle will turn around and take a second look at me! That has never happened before!!! smile

So, I’m thinking that taking up learning to play the piano late in life has more positive effects than you might think…. I’m thinking that if more older, middle-aged individuals would take up learning to play the piano, there might be less of need for convalescent homes!! (Wishful thinking maybe laugh )

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
J
J
Originally Posted by Rickster

So, I’m thinking that taking up learning to play the piano late in life has more positive effects than you might think…. I’m thinking that if more older, middle-aged individuals would take up learning to play the piano, there might be less of need for convalescent homes!! (Wishful thinking maybe laugh )

Rick

Wishful thinking maybe, but quite accurate! If more people took up something meaningful (like playing music) instead of remaining passive in front of the telly or the internet, they sure would feel better about themselves. I can attest that learning an instrument has many, many positive "secondary benefits" that add quality to (my) life.

John

"My piano is therapy for me" - Rick Wright.
Instrument: Rebuilt Kurzweil K2500XS and a bunch of great vintage virtual keyboards. New Kurzweil PC3X.
OP Offline
Thanks to all, I think I "should be" much further ahead than I am. The Joplin piece is the "only" piece I can play by heart with minimal mistakes. The rest of the music I struggle with......I probably should be playing much easier ones. I am way to hard on my self......and that is probably why I get so discouraged......

Tom

Last edited by Musical Tom; 06/17/11 10:35 AM.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Tom, I was surprised at how well you played this! You have nothing to worry about and you should be very proud of your progress. Playing faster will come with time as your technique improves which will come from scales, arpeggios, some hanon, and from practicing pieces. Speed is nowhere as important as musicality and your playing has that. I too have moments when I feel I want to quit a piece. Some of my pieces have taken me four months to master and even then I still make some mistakes and they are far from perfect. I expect it won't get easier soon , we just have to be patient and to learn to enjoy the little victories. They are what keeps us going. If you can, play your pieces for as many people as possible, maybe ask youf teavher if you could take part on one of her recitals if she organizes such, or do a family reunion thing and prepare a couple of pieces to play for a larger group of your relatives. Personally for me, knowing I will play a piece in front of an audience, pushes me to go further and keeps me motivated. I don't like playing just for myself. I love sharing that. Otherwise I feel like all the hard work goes to waste. Of course I still don't play good in recitals but that will come too. It's very enjoyable nontheless.

Last edited by Teodor; 06/17/11 07:35 AM.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
OP Offline
I am impressed at how supportive everyone has been. I do get discouraged, but, have new hope, as I hear that I am not alone. I feel so incompetent at times, and still get nervous even playing in front of my teacher....

Thanks again to all for the heartfelt encouraging words....

Tom

F
F
40 years old and started playing piano yesterday (when I got an electric piano from my wife as a 40 yo present).
Seeing Your YT clip makes me wonder if I'm ever going to get good at this, but as long as I'm having fun with it I'm happy...

Beginner - played for weeks now. Yamaha P-155.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Tom! ,
I'm just a smidge younger than most of those who have posted their ages (except of course Teodor.... I'm way older than he is smile )

Having high expectations of where we should be is something that adult learners of just about everything go through.
My teacher and I were talking about this just this week. I teach adults English - and had one student in tears this week because she is so upset with what she perceives as her lack of progress.... and I was feeling a little low because I was having trouble getting my fingers around my Beethoven piece, which "seemed" simple enough on paper...

Adults are their own worst critics. We are used to being able to do the things we want to do without too much frustration. We then pass 50 (ouch. It still hurt to write that....sigh).... take up piano, and feel like 2 year olds. We know how everything is supposed to work but we can't do it the way we see others doing it.

We also seem to lose any sense of perspective on how long it takes to really learn something that is physically and mentally demanding.
Those of us who have played other instruments tend to think "well, how much harder can it be?" Ha! I was stunned at how tired my brain was after trying to read and play very very simple pieces of piano music.

The other thing we tend to forget is that we "plateau". We make a certain amount of progress and then it feels like we are standing still. Those are the times we have to pull out pieces that one or two months earlier seemed challenging. It is exciting to see that what was really hard before, has suddenly become approachable.

I can not imagine playing the Maple Leaf Rag right now. Kudos to you!
I just know it is beyond me.... for now, maybe for the next year, I'm really not sure.

The other point I wanted to talk about is sight reading - there are a lot of mixed opinions about this - and why not ? There are alot of very differnt musicians here, with wonderfully eclectic tastes in music.

I think sight reading is fun - I do sight reading duets with my teacher and it is a blast to year new music come alive - I laugh outloud at musical surprises. It helps me with note recognition in general (I'm fine with treble, still a wee bit shaky on the bass clef) - and it gives me a sense of progress. Some of my sight-reading is true "prima vista", some is material that I don't play enough to "know", but that I have seen a little bit before.
I think it is good to learn to sight read, because one of the things I really want to do is to play with others. For example, at Christmas we had friends over for a musical evening - we were from Canada, Brazil, Ireland and Sweden..oh and Italy too smile lol.... and we all had our favourite Christmas music. It involved a lot of sight reading, and I was NOT great at it, lol.. but I had such great fun!

Personally I think developing your sight reading skills just speeds up the whole process as you approach new pieces.

But hey - to each his own!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Musical Tom
I am impressed at how supportive everyone has been. I do get discouraged, but, have new hope, as I hear that I am not alone. I feel so incompetent at times, and still get nervous even playing in front of my teacher....

Tom

I feel the same way. It often so happens that I sit at the piano and I feel as if I can play anything and on these days I play quite well. But there are other times when I see no progress or I just feel tired from all the lessons and from practicing and I get frustrated like this:

I have been at it for weeks, I know it by heart but on some days I can't do a clean playthrough no matter what.

Last edited by Teodor; 06/17/11 02:15 PM.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
E
E

Tom

Musical Tom - When I started to read your original post, I immediately identified with you. After a year and a half of playing I sometimes feel the same way. Then I watched your video and I thought "Is that his piano teacher or him"? When I realized it was you ... I'm thinking to myself ... "Holy Moly ... If he's depressed with that level of talent, I should be downright suicidal at this point

Tom - you are a very talented and musical guy. At the rate you're progressing, we'll be buying your music on itunes in a couple of years. Teodor, whose post is above mine is similarly talented too! You two guys could do an album ...Tom and Teodor at Carnegie Hall by the time I finish my Masterwork Classics Volume 3 book! I feel ...soooo inadequate now! Don't be so hard on yourself!! You got it!

Last edited by Emissary52; 06/17/11 02:39 PM.

I'm Craig, I'm retired, It's Saturday every day!
Alfred's Masterwork Classics Vol 3 and Vol 4
YDP-160, GH-170R
Alfred 1 Graduate
K
K
Hi, all. I too am 57 (for a few weeks more, anyway...). I began a year ago, with a teacher who had only children as her other students, so she went very, very slowly with me. Also, she was very ill, and she has now passed away. After a month or so hiatus, I began with her teacher in January (2011). He keeps saying I'm doing great, but I still feel all thumbs, and can't really play much of anything yet. But I keep plugging away.

My goal is not to be a professional pianist, but to play well enough to teach voice, which I'm also studying. And to enjoy myself. But I'm still going on faith at this point! Have a demanding job (patent secretary) and can't always practice as much as I should. I live in an apartment and the hours I can practice without disturbing neighbors are limited; if I work late, by the time I get some dinner, it may be too late to play. But I keep at it...

Guess we all need encouragement.

KathyH
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Everyone,

I need some encouragement. I am getting a little discouraged, feeling that I am not progressing fast enough. I feel some days, I don't remember anything. I have to practice things over and over again to finally get it.....I just get a little discouraged and feel incompetent with my piano teacher at times....but I know he understands.....does anyone else get this way? I sometimes think it is my age.....

Tom

Hi Thom......I'am still 57, within a week 58......one day I play every sheet I want....other days it seems my fingers are sitting in a knot.....

Playing by heart....mmmm...not me.....only Wonderfull world...and some fragments of classics......always need to have sheets with me....

Best regards and enjoy every moment on the bench...

Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
P
P
congrats Tom, Maple Leaf Rag is a grade 8 piece on my board, you obviously have a lot of natural talent to play grade 8 pieces after just 2 years. Well done.

Piano Yamaha U1
Studying Grade 8 piano and 6 theory

Currently working on:
Chopin Nocturne in C# Minor
Beethoven Sonata Op10.no.1
Martinu Columbine Sings
Chopin: Waltz 69 no.2
Scott Joplin: Pineapple Rag

Achievements:
Grade 1-7 Piano (LCM)
Grade 1-5 theory (LCM)
W
W
I have been playing piano for just over 2 years. I am now 57 and am still having fun.

My piano teacher has me working my way through a series os grade school piano books. I can tell that the learning curve for learning a new piece is sslloowwlly getting shorter. From discussions with my teacher the improvement in sight reading due to practice is what happens. It is a slow painful process.
My challenge piece currently is a rendition of the New World Symphony. This is really beyond my current skill level. I am working on it over the course of a number of months.

OP Offline
Hi everyone.....I am still playing and practicing.....I can't believe how rusty one can get when we don't practice often.......I still wish I could site read a little better, but am getting better at it. Does anyone have any suggestions and/or exercises that might help?

Tom

OP Offline
Thanks for the compliment......I appreciate it, but still need much work to improve my skill and speed.......I still make plenty of mistakes on The Maple Leaf Rag.....

Tom

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission