2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, there is a Level 5 of supplemental music. It's called AdvanceTime.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Just to check in, fellow Faberites; I'm working on Swing Low, Sweet Chariot in the Faber Adult Book 2. I was really struggling with it for quite a while then it suddenly came together. That's happened to me several times and I can only guess it has to do with the muscle memory kicking in. I think I'll have the song down with a couple hours more practice.

I'm also almost through with the Faber Developing Artist Prep. Literature book. I love this book and look forward to starting the next one. It sounds like real music! You can hear me playing a few of the songs if you click on the link in my sig, although it probably won't be clear which songs are from the method book and which are from the Prep. Lit. book unless you look at the table of contents from one of them.

I hope you all enjoyed the holidays,

Dio

Last edited by Dio666; 12/29/11 02:29 AM.

Kawai CN43
Faber Adult Piano Adventures Book 2
Faber Developing Artist Library, Book 1
Chopin - Prelude in E Minor Op. 28 No. 4
Audio Progress Log:
http://soundcloud.com/rjdio666/sets/chris-learning-piano-12-2011
I've blown the dust off a 3a performance book. I'm going to play every piece in the book. So far so good.

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just checking in also.. I'm plugging away on the same things right now.. busy with family for Xmas yet.. Hope eveyone is doing well and Happy Holidays!

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
I learned two key things today.....first....by moving my upright piano about 2 inches further away from the wall, it sounds much better! As long as I have lurked around this forum, you would think that I would have tried this months ago, but I didn't think it would make a big difference.....besides, I thought it would be painful to try to move my pain....it wasn't.

After the "BIG" move, I pulled out my PA book and started looking for something to play....I settled on Song to Joy (Ode to Joy.) It is written in lead sheet format using C, Am, G, E chords. I experimented with using octaves instead of chords. I also tried using C-G-C instead of a C-E-G. I like the result! I could have sat at the piano for a few hours tinkering with that one.

Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
Congrats on the improved sound, Michael. You think it wasn't painful moving your piano? Wait another day and tell us how your back feels. smile

I just did that Song of Joy tune recently. I was just happy to be able to play it as written. Maybe in another year I'll come back and try playing around with it.

Kawai CN43
Audio Progress Log:
I survived the move! Piano still sounds great! I put another 30 minutes into Song of Joy. I will be experimenting more changing chords. My music teacher had initially recommended that I keep my left hand in one spot to play the C, Am, E, and G chord using inverted chords. I found that the piece sounds better by moving the chords up and down the piano to compliment the melody. It's not hard, give it a try!

Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Yes, there is a Level 5 of supplemental music. It's called AdvanceTime.

Hi and thanks for the heads up. I went into our local music store to check this out. However, I didn't get this book because I noticed another series from Faber and Faber. It is called The Developing Artis Library.

In this there is the PIano Literature Series with 4 books from Elementary to Late Intermediate.

There is also the Piano Sonatina Series with 4 books ranging from Early Intermediate to Early advanced.

I was excited to see more things from Faber. I ended up getting the Piano Literature Book 4. It came with a CD and I enjoyed listening to all the pieces. I've picked some favorites and waiting until I see my teacher to she what she thinks about starting one from this book while I continue to prep for my exam. These pieces will be a stretch for me but I am motivated to have a good challenge (especially after watching fellow forum member (candlelightpiano) self learn a very difficult piece! After having so much fun with the level 4 Christmas book I have been having trouble concentrating on what I should. I'm hoping a good challenge piece will keep me motivated and prevent me from jumping around between songs too much. (which I have been doing alot of lately!)

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Michael Taylor
I learned two key things today.....first....by moving my upright piano about 2 inches further away from the wall, it sounds much better!

Hi Michael, my brother has been telling me to do this for a long time (and I haven't!). If he had his way I'd probably have the piano in the middle of the room (haha). But maybe after reading your experience I'll have to give it a try. Of course if I ask him to move it for me then he can say "see I told you so!)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm glad your piano didn't break your back Michael!

I just recorded and posted Scenic Train Ride from Faber in the piano bar! EEEP! Hopefully that will give me some good hints. Practiced a lot today just trying to do the video! LOL

I think I'm going to try to find the theory and technique books that go with these. Might help and possibly a performance book also.

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I found the theory, technique books for primer level for the regular Faber (kids series) and the Performance for level 1 again the kids series. So I grabbed them. They aren't bad. I just ignore all the little cartoon drawings and they are actually helping. The technique one is invaluable for me as I switch to my acoustic. I feel like I'm starting from scratch again. LOL

How you guys doing?

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
L
L
I'm self teaching and picked up F & F Chordtime Jazz and Blues Level 2B at the used book store. I like it very much - I'm currently working towards the end of Alfreds Adult Basic Level 1 - and don't want to jump into level 2 to quickly. As F & F and Alfred's seem to compliment each other I've been thinking of ordering the Funtime Jazz and Blues Level 3. Since I'm not really all that familiar with F & F is there a big jump from Level 2b to 3?
Thanks

P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
Lyn in AZ, I don't know about a big jump, but I think it's true that the 3A music takes the concepts you've learned through level 2B and puts them together in more challenging ways. As well as adding more concepts, of course. I would wait until you've finished the Chordtime book before starting on Funtime. No reason not to order it and take a peek, though!

In response to BeccaBb's question about how we're doing: I need to sit down with my 3A and 3B books and work out a schedule to meet my goal of playing all the music in them this year.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
L
L
Thanks PS88
for the good advice!
I do have Funtime on my wishlist at Amazon.

Well I just finished learning Hava Nagila in the Adult Book 2 which was more challenging than I expected. I've decided to take a short break from the lesson book and finish up the Developing Artist Prep. Piano Literature book and learn a few tunes from the 2A and 2B performance books.

I have one song left to learn in the Prep. Piano Lit. book and it's a teacher-student duet. I want to record both parts together so I started tackling the teacher part which is very difficult for me, (because of course it's not meant to be played by the student at this level). But I'm going to try and learn it anyways. One beat at a time...

Dio

Kawai CN43
Audio Progress Log:
I just heard two songs from the Piano Adventures Level 5 Popular Repertoire book. These arrangements sound great! I can't wait until I get to this level, (hopefully it will be before I die) smile

Youtube - Take Five
Youtube - Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Kawai CN43
Audio Progress Log:
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hiya Lynn in AZ, welcome to the Faber thread. smile

Dio hows the teacher duet part going? Your mighty brave doing that.. lol I just glance at those sections and shudder. LOL

I just interviewed a piano teacher. I get my first lesson on Wednesday. He's going to help me learn out of the Faber books! I am very excited. I've never had music lessons before. smile He's very relaxed and flexible. My dog likes him alot. Makes me feel very relaxed. He will be coming to my home to teach me for half hour once a week. I need to practice! I have to run through all my material at the first lesson so he can see what I need help with. Eeek!

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Hey, Becca, that's cool that you're taking lessons. Let us know how it goes with your teacher. I took guitar lessons for a little while a few years ago, but that was before I had three kids. Now I can only practice very early in the morning or late at night, so lessons are out of the question for now.

When I first started taking on the teacher part of the duet, I thought I might be getting in over my head. By I just took it one measure at a time and now I've got it down pretty well. I'll make a recording soon and post it.

Now stop reading the piano forum and start practicing, Becca!

Dio

Kawai CN43
Audio Progress Log:
So I learned both the student and teacher part to the duet, "Ponies", from the Faber Developing Artist Series Preparatory Piano Literature book. The teacher part was very difficult for me because it is not meant to be played by a student at my level, but I took it one note at a time and eventually got it down. It's also at a very fast tempo. This has given me some confidence, proving to myself that I can learn difficult material if I stick to it. You can hear a recording I made last night if you click on the Sound Cloud link in my signature. For those of you at a more advanced level than me, feel free to laugh at my talk about how difficult this was. smile

I think I'm going to learn a few pieces from the Faber 2B performance book and then I'll get back to the Faber Adult All-In-One Book 2, (I'm somewhere in the middle of it right now).

Dio

Kawai CN43
Audio Progress Log:
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats Dio! Very impressive. I enjoyed listening to it. smile Now you have me wondering if that might be possible later down the road!

My teacher cancelled our first lesson as he was ill. Hope he feels better soon. I finally figured out the 3/4 rhythm on a Minuet. Man those are evil! LOL So I moved that piece into the "polish" section and went to the next page! I'm one page away from Unit 4. Seems like I'm just flying through it!

Off to practice!

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission