2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
OP Offline
G
Dewar, you are absolutely right, it is postural, with the added qualifier that certain physical characteristics/traits contribute to vulnerability. Rarely, someone actually is born with an extra rib up high in the ribcage near the clavicle, and that causes TOS. Even in those individuals, surgery is not always indicated. Unless the medical field has changed it's position on it, surgery is a very last resort because the outcomes are not good too much of the time.

MzrtFan, I am sorry to hear about your situation. In terms of DP actions, yeah, every change is going to affect your tendons, muscles, and, most important in terms of TOS, posture. Whether the change will be good, bad, or indifferent in your case, I don't know. Hence I realize my folly in even posting the original question, because even tho I knew at the time the triggers are highly personal, I asked about specific DP anyway. smile Really I just wanted to see if anyone else had gone thru what I had.

Regarding what kind of doc gave the diagnosis, I can't remember ... I remember orthodpedic in general being pretty useless ("it's a sprain/it's carpal tunnel/it's arthritis" ... I got the sense if it wasn't a broken bone, they all thought it was a nuisance I'd just have to live with). I would guess a physiatrist is a good place to start. There are very simple tests that can be done by the doctor holding your arm above your head and back and looking for a pulse to disappear ... in my recent web research it appears this test is still being used. If you go to a doc who doesn't do this or some other thing to test for neurovascular pinching in the neck/shoulder region, you are dealing with someone who doesn't know about TOS, I'm thinking. You may not HAVE TOS; but if you want to rule it out, make sure the doctor you are seeing seems familiar with it.

I see you are in Virginia ... I don't know doctors out there, but in my area is one of the main TOS treaters around ... Peter Edgelow in Redwood City, CA. If you search for him on the web, he may be able to refer you to someone using his treatment protocol in your area. Also, here are some helpful links:

American TOS Assoc; you can probably find a directory of treaters here:
http://www.atosa.org/

Physical Therapy Corner, cool medical drawing of the problem area:
http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/thoracic_outlet/

Definitely nip it in the bud (or whatever it is you have once you find out). You don't want to become a chronic pain patient. It sucks. In doing my TOS exercises I can tell I don't have any scar tissue built up in my upper back or some other physical restrictions like I did when I first started treatment long ago, yet I have the symptoms. Once you become a pain patient, you only need one trigger to create the pain of full-blown injury. I was told that generally, once you are in constant pain for 18 months or more, you are likely susceptible to the phenomena that is asymptomatic chronic pain.

So as an aside I will say one of the things that helped me most in my treatment was biofeedback therapy ... essentially any body-awareness modality designed to make pain go away. It's generalist, not movement-specific. This is what Alexander technique, and I'm starting sessions this week. I don't know if my affinity for this type of thing is addressing TOS itself, or the chronic-pain triggers. I'm suspecting the latter, so I don't know if it will be helpful in your case, but thought I'd throw that out there.

Last edited by geekgurl; 06/11/11 02:58 PM. Reason: answering the question
M
M
Geekgurl,
Thank you for your detailed response. I just started reading a book about the Alexander technique a couple of days ago, and it's really interesting. I'm positive that whatever it is that I have, I'm doing to myself (unless there's some underlying cause like an extra rib causing compression), so I think the body-awareness kind of therapy will definitely help. I'm glad to hear it has helped you.

I definitely want to nip it in the bud, before it becomes something worse. I hope one day you are pain-free too. This really sucks - i can't even sit at my desk at work for a few minutes and my shoulder and neck hurt so bad it makes me feel ill. My boss is ordering another chair for me to see if it helps. I'm taking a break from the piano until I find out what I have and how to treat it...

Thanks for all the info. And let us know how the Alexander sessions work for you, I would love to hear about that.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Geekgurl, MzrtFan, may I recommend you consider visiting a chiropractor? Our bodies receive many bumps and knocks throughout our daily lives, causing misalignment in our spine and connecting bones. A good chiropractor will be able to correct this misalignment, helping energy to flow more freely, and often reducing pain/stiffness.

Take care,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
G
OP Offline
G
Hi KawaiJames, thanks for chiming in. I did chiropractic for years and it did little for me. Also acupuncture and all kinds of things ... but everyone's different! I don't discount chiro entirely -- it gave me some relief -- and maybe it is the end-all be-all for some people. MzrtFan, you're welcome, and yes, chiro is another route you can go!

H
H
This is a third topic mention about the wrist pain when playing a "plastic key piano". My younger brother wanted to buy a Roland FP-7F. I told him that I thought I was playing on a plastic keyboard with hammer +. I liked the sounds, not the touch of the Roland. Yamaha and Kawai would be a better choice. He did not buy the Roland, but a Yamaha.

Last edited by Hoang; 06/12/11 01:18 AM.
Hi geekgurl, I always recommend chiropractic as my sister is a McTimoney chiropractor - and a very good one at that!

It's unfortunate that this form of treatment did not really resolve your TOS, however as you say, everyone responds differently to these techniques.

Take care,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
Kawai James,
Thank you for the suggestion. I was thinking about that but I want to see a doctor first before I do anything. I actually should have seen a chiropractor years ago, after a minor car accident I was in. At the time I didn't feel anything, but over time I started feeling neck pain. So maybe whatever is happening to my shoulder is related to what happened years ago...

I'll definitely talk to my doctor about seeing a chiropractor and other therapy options.
Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission