2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
Hi everyone =)

Yesterday I finally received my Kawai MP10 from Long and Mcquade, a rather large music retailer up here in Canada. I used to have an RD700GX + supernatural kit, but my sister's constant nagging for it finally got to me, and after a bit of research, I decided upon the MP10. With regard to a digital piano, I am mainly concerned with its feel (ie out of 100%, I'd say feel and touch matters about 60-65%, sound 35-40%) - I also have the Italian Grand II from Synthogy, so as long as the piano sounds are decently good, I'm willing to trade that extra bit in sound quality for a better feeling keyboard. (I guess the way I see it is I can improve the sound with software if needed, but the only realistic way of improving the touch/feel is to buy a new keyboard).

For anyone in Canada looking for musical instruments/devices, I highly recommend Long and Mcquade - their support is excellent (they also have a 30 day no hassle return policy), and from what I know, their prices are quite good as well.

Before I continue, I'd just like to thank Kawai James and Tom Love (Kawai North America) for the help they provided in this process. Although I had pre-ordered the piano already from Long and Mcquade, I wanted to get more information on it (I couldn't find anyone with it in Ontario). I contacted James first, who referred me to Tom, but I initially had issues contacting him, and James was nice enough to help me get through to Tom. Tom was then able to provide me info regarding the piano. Many thanks =)

*edit June 10, 4:53pm*

I originally thought I had scratches with my MP-10 screen but a few people have posted that there's probably a clear sticker on top. I looked for a sticker when I noticed the scratches but didn't see one. My sister and friend also couldn't find a sticker. However, given I graduated from the University of Toronto and lack any real smarts/common sense, I'll check again when I get home from work =P I've removed the pictures I initially uploaded because I don't want to give Kawai any bad publicity due to my dumbness =P

*end edit*

*edit part 2, June 10, 9:09pm*

Clearly instead of what is supposed to be brain matter, air rules supreme in my head. After picking away for about 25 seconds, part of the film finally started to peel off, although only bits and pieces came off. I then decided to go through the top right corner and after about another 15 seconds, I was finally able to peel it off. There is a dust particle caught somewhere in the LCD screen though (this annoys me a little bit... maybe I'm OCD and I don't know it =P), but there are no scratches. Thanks to everyone who politely pointed out my lack of brains =P

*end edit*

One other small thing, although this doesn't bother me at all. The felt trim at the back end of the keys is dark blue and not red. For some reason I've really only seen red in the past, so the blue kind of caught me off guard, but I still think it looks great =)

Okay, with that out of the way, I can honestly say that I'm quite pleased with the MP10. The touch and feel are excellent. Some may describe the feel as a bit "mushy", (there is definitely more resistance here than that found in the RD700GX, especially in the bass notes) but this doesn't bother me at all. I don't have much experience with grand pianos, but the feel on the MP10 seems similar to the grands that I have played in the past. I also find the extra resistance helps me a bit more with dynamic control - this might be due to the fact that I'm not a great player, but I'll take any extra help a keyboard can provide for me =P As for the feel, it definitely feels authentic. It's quite smooth, and I dunno, it just feels real. The RD700GX had a nice feel to it as well, but I'm already starting to see/feel some wear in the keys, which is mildly disappointing. Even before the wear, I'd say the RD700GX was a bit grittier than the MP10, and although I thought the feel of the RD700GX was great to begin with, I definitely consider the MP10 to be better =)

The sound for the acoustic (I've only tried, and really only care, for the acoustic) is very good as well, although I do find that it's a little bass heavy. The treble notes also seem a little metallic (I don't know if that's the right word), but this doesn't bother me too much. With some EQ, I did manage to get the bass to sound a little less full and was also able to take the edge off some of the treble notes, but I think I'll need to play with it more to really fine tune it (there are also only 3 EQ settings you can change - low, mid and high. The RD700GX had 4 - low, mid low, mid high and high). Another thing I've noticed is, when compared with the RD700GX, the individual notes don't sound as clear with pedal use. For example, when I play a song that requires arpeggio use in the bass, the notes tend to blend in with each other a bit more than what I am used to. I can still hear the individual notes, but it's a bit more like a cacophony of sound compared to the RD700GX, which I'd describe as having clearer individual note sounds that eventually blend in with other notes (with pedal use). The pedal effect definitely seems more pronounced with the MP10 - I'm guessing I'll have to tone it down (I'm assuming this can be done in the settings menu - I haven't read the manual yet =P). Right now I'd describe the RD700GX + Supernatural as having a slightly better sound (ie RD700GX+Supernatural as excellent, MP10 as great), but it could also be the fact that I'm not used to the MP10 sound. For what it's worth, my sister liked the MP sound better than the RD one.

All in all, I'm very pleased with this purchase. The touch and feel of the instrument are decisively better than that of the RD700GX (and, for what it's worth, better than Yamaha's CP1 as well - the lack of a graded keyboard kinda bugged me for the Yamahas). The MP10 also provides a great sounding piano to boot. Now if only my screen wasn't so scratched up =P

Last edited by The Flying Pinky; 06/10/11 09:09 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey,
My MP6 arrived with a similar screen. Although hardly noticeable, there was something to peel off.

T
OP Offline
T
Oh, okay, I'll check at home again. Both my sister and my friend also tried to see if there was something to peel off, but they couldn't find anything. Thanks for the heads up though =)

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
My CN33 was similar. I bet there's a very thin plastic cover to be peeled off.

I have an MP10 also and yes there is a plastic film to peel off - it is not obvious and you have to be persistent. I think it is a fabulous instrument and I have played numerous digital pianos. The best action by far I think.

Last edited by funkycornwall; 06/10/11 04:42 PM.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I'm almost certain that there will be a protective film on that screen. You can tell if you drag a fingernail across the screen. Perspex won't scratch, but the film will.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The Flying Pinky, thank you for posting your review of the MP10.

I'm currently updating the MP10 owner's manual to reflect the changes in software update v1.03 (should be available soon), so will make a note of also adding information about the screen film.

To be honest I'm not sure why it's not there already - all the other Kawai DP owner's manuals explain this point...

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
T
OP Offline
T
So it's official - I lack brain matter =P After fussing over the screen for a while, I was able to peel the sticker off (although there still remains a dust particle trapped somewhere inside the screen!!). I've updated my initial post to reflect this. Thanks to everyone who informed me of the clear sticker =)

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I didn't think Long and Mcquade was willing to sell Kawai!!

Anyhow, can anyone compare the action on the mp10 to the venerable mp8? Also, is the mp10 the cheapest Kawai controller with the great action they are known for?

Or is there a less expensive Kawai with the exact same action?

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
As you get a chance to play with it more. I would like to know more about the sound. Even though my knowledge of the MP10 is superficial. I thought there was much there to adjust and tweak sound? In the first place, I love Kawai's sound. I do admit. It naturally has more harmonics to it than other pianos. That's it's nature.
On the highs. Can you criticise your sound system fed by the MP10? That may be (part of) it.

Be careful of giving in to your sister. She might end up with your MP10, and you the old keyboard. Remember: Sisters are futile to resist. smile

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
C
C
To all,

I just assembled a CN43 for a family member...

Page 92, Step 13 in assembly instructions... "remove protective film from the LED screen".

I have to assume other models have similar instructions. Pretty much everything that has any type of plastic LED screen comes with a protective film, even coffee makers. If your model was purchased already assembled off the dealer's floor it is most likely they left the film on to protect the plastic screen.

I had a Casio AP620 before my acoustic and it was quite awhile before I noticed the LED screen began to look a bit hazy. It was almost impossible to detect the film except for the fact that it did have some flaws but I could not get the film to start peeling off. I began to think the screen itself was turning hazy. I rechecked the owner's manual which did confirm the film's presence so I just kept at it until it finally came off.

Experience is truly the best teacher!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission