2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
38 members (benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, 3 invisible), 1,339 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#1691566 06/06/11 07:49 PM
Peyton Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Just curious what other hobbies folks here are into? Other forums? Piano takes up a few hours of my mornings almost every day but I also enjoy scuba diving (when I can get to the BVI's,) skeet shooting (I compete), telemark skiing (my winter business), painting (my job), sailing and I used to fly when I could afford it. In the winter I'm on telemark forums almost as much as this forum. I also post on a skeet forum.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Orienteering - I compete with the Georgia Orienteering Club and make maps for them. Next year we are hosting the US Champs on maps that I made. Oh the pressure! Chattahoochee Bend map blog

Hiking - I volunteer for the Georgia Appalachian Trail club and maintain a mile of the AT at Hawk Mt in Georgia, including the shelter and privy. Ewww! Hawk Mt Shelter

Reading - is this a hobby? I read - a lot. I'm not afraid to admit it. Just finished a bio of Brahms by Jan Swafford - very interesting. Starting one now about Charles Ives by the same author. I keep my library indexed at librarything.com

I've been woodworking for decades: Some of my woodworking projects

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Peyton Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Sam, those wood "projects" are amazing! That dobro (along with all the others) looks beautiful.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
The harpsichord is stunning! I also like the dobro. Sam, do you sleep? If so, when do you find the time?

I also read a lot, I kayak, bike and try to XC ski.

Sandy

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Estudio español. En agosto, llevará a doce niños a Guadalajara para un intercambio que dura un mez entero. Los niños son del quinto grado y ellos ya entienden el español. En febrero, recibimos los estudiantes para sus mez en los E.U. De hecho, debo estar estudiando ahora mismo en vez de estar aqui chismeando.

I play the recorder in an early music group.

I try really hard not to beat my children.

I'm the only man on my block who mows his own lawn.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
M
M
I play chess online and against my computer. Sometimes tournaments.

I also read a lot. Just finished "The Count of Monte Cristo" on my Kindle.

In warm weather a huge lot of lawn mowing and wood cutting for the winter.

Sam's got me whupped, though. I've got nothing like that to show. I'd post a picture of the banana bread I just made, but I ate it.

I'm getting there--note by note.
J
J
I also play guitar, mountain bike, and run.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Reading, chess, and programming.

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I gig with 2 bands and play in a rehearsal band. Ride road bikes, a single speed and a fixed gear. I am on the keyboard forum, roadbike review forum, the truth about cars and the Kia 3rd generation Sportage forum. The rest of the time, who knows? I play scales and sightread

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I *used* to ski race and rock climb, and folk dance, but I've got so many piano projects now those have gone by the wayside. I'm the main sound person at contra dances, tho.

But I play every Weds night with an open band, and we gig many times a year.

I play 3 times a month at senior centers.

I'm trying to get a rag and a gospel piece up to snuff so I can talk them in to letting me enter the miscellaneous instruments contest at the SW Bluegrass Festival in August.

I'm working on getting my old big-band and swing pieces familiar enough to improv so our new electric guitarist and a fiddler from another band can play for some regualr swing dances.

Other than piano I deliver meals to shut-ins once a week.

I work part-time smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
I play pool in amateur leagues. (American Pool Players Association) I play 8 ball, 9 ball, straight pool, 1 pocket, banks, etc...etc.....

Classic cars. I own a 1966 Ford Mustang and a 1959 Chevrolet Impala. My Mustang took 3rd place in a Mustang show 2 weeks ago!

Pictures of my Mustang
http://gallery.me.com/realtaylor/100045

I am a recovering computer geek-oholic. I use to build/upgrade/repair pc's. I am now a Mac "user"

Last edited by Michael Taylor; 06/06/11 11:29 PM.

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When my last hobby inadvertently ended, I needed a new hobby, so I had the bright idea to learn how to play the piano. This is my only hobby.

I have young children, so I think that having one hobby at this point is sort of a luxury. laugh

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Sam, what beautiful woodwork!

Michael, congratulations on switching to Mac! (better late than never)

I tutor English and Social Studies for a living, mostly kids, mostly high school age, though I have 2 younger ones right now & I occasionally get uni students.

I'm involved with a lobby group to keep our community outdoor swimming pool from closing (for the first 6 years) & now to get it rebuilt (for the last 2). That involves writing lots of letters, going to meetings, & attending municipal council & park board meetings every once in a while. I'm also on the strata council in my condo building.

I've been making pottery for about 40 years (sorry, no photos) & volunteer one half day a week in the pottery studio of a community arts centre.

And I have 2 balconies, on which I attempt to grow flowers & an assortment of vegetables.

Oh yah, & I read a lot, & like to cook.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Mainly skydiving, golf, cycling, but a bunch of other stuff too long to list.

I used to play a lot of volleyball and racquetball.

I used to run a lot. Ah, heck with it--we shall do the LIST!

At one time or another, I've been big into chess, snowboarding, pistol shooting, reading, computer games, board games, MTG, developing websites, dreaming up business plots, powerlifting, karate, boxing, rugby, baseball, softball, deep-sea fishing, snowmobiling, autocross, guitar, building computers, scuba diving, squash, philosophy, botany, biology, linguistics, travel, ugh...have I lost my audience? I kinda want to go on. Modern (serious?) comic books, sci-fi, horror movies, trivia games, photography, video production, watercolor, poetry, hiking, backpacking, trains, singing, church, tennis, OMG MAKE HIM STOP!

I really want to do it all before I leave this place.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by joyoussong
I've been making pottery for about 40 years (sorry, no photos)

???

Why not??

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My claim to fame was being a member of the mens U.S diving team (1 meter, 3 meter) from 1993-1997 under Olympic coach Alan Spreen. I placed 2nd at the 1997 indoor nationals.

These days I spend most of my time enjoying motorsports of all kinds. I can even wheelie my backhoe!

I just finished welding together a 4,000 lb grizzly rock screen, replaced the solenoid on my P.O.S lawn tractor and forced grease into the bushings of my skip loader since a few of the zerk fittings got smashed.

I enjoy taking long rides deep into the forest on our Polaris Ranger and of course cruising the Colorado River on our Craigcat surfboard-boat-thing.

I could go on and on. We all could!

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member
I love bicycling when I can find a large block of time. Our city has a great system of bike trails through parkland areas. These trails also connect to a metro commuter bike trail system.

I'm looking forward to hitting the trails in a few days when the weather cools off, and things ease up at work. A bike ride is a great stress reducer!

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Peyton,

I used to paint (oils and acrylics), but not much time now, unfortunately (full-time job - medical transcription). Sometimes I'll just pick up a pencil and do a little sketch, though. smile

http://www.box.net/shared/d59vz972xt

Last edited by Elssa; 06/07/11 02:52 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I spend my free time listening to music, when I’m not playing the piano. I’m interested on acoustic matters as well, in order to get a very good quality sound in my listening room (acoustic analyzers, equalizers...).

Congratulations for your Spanish, KurtZ. It's much better than my English wink .

Good to see another climber on the forum. Is there another sport more wildly incompatible with piano playing? In my case a permanently dog-legged pinky adds to the challenge I suppose.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission