2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1689807 06/03/11 10:19 AM
S
Sumsar Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello there!

I´m considering buying the Roland RPU-3 pedal for my Roland FP-7F digital piano - I would really like to hear if some of you have good or bad experience with this pedal? Do you think it´s a little superfluous when you have the bundled DP-10 damper pedal or is it a very useful piece of kit?

;-)

Kind regards
Rasmus

M
M
Superflous? Definitely not. Depending on what you're playing, you ought to have all 3 pedals – certain classical repertoire will call for the left hand pedal (soft; una corda) and middle pedal (sostenuto).

I'm currently using a couple of old BOSS footswitches along with the supplied sustain pedal on my Roland until I can afford an RPU-3 :-)

A shadow of my former self, but still the same Mac guy - designing, taking photos, talking tech, being creative and finally playing the piano again!
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It's a bigger, heavier unit, which means it shouldn't wander around as much when you're using it. That alone makes it worth it IMO.

BTW, all three pedals are continuous, so you can assign them to various parameters in the patches (filter cutoff, etc.).

M
M
The RPU-3 unit that I bought along with my FP-7F has become indispensable in the 6 mos I have owned them.

For some patches and registrations, e.g. guitar simulations, I have assigned pitch-bend and vibrato/tremolo effects to the soft and middle pedals. On the piano patches I use the soft pedal a lot for expression just as I would on an AP.

On noncritical gigs (rehearsals, e.g.) I take the single pedal that came with the piano instead because it fits better in my gig bag.

M
M
Originally Posted by dewster
BTW, all three pedals are continuous, so you can assign them to various parameters in the patches (filter cutoff, etc.).

I forgot about that dewster – makes the RPU3 an especially useful controller when you're not playing classical stuff!

A shadow of my former self, but still the same Mac guy - designing, taking photos, talking tech, being creative and finally playing the piano again!
S
Sumsar Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks a lot for your replies!

I´m a novice in the piano world and most of the time I´m just practicing for dear life, but do you still think that the RPU-3 would be a fine investment? Is it a little difficult to use?

;-)

Kind regards
Rasmus

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I had the RPU-3 when I had my RD-700GXF. It worked great. I love having the Una Corda pedal, which was the major reason I went for the RPU-3. The NP88 comes with the Nord Triple Pedal, which is a nice bonus!

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
M
M
Originally Posted by Sumsar
Thanks a lot for your replies!

I´m a novice in the piano world and most of the time I´m just practicing for dear life, but do you still think that the RPU-3 would be a fine investment? Is it a little difficult to use?

It's not any more difficult to use than the damper pedal, and would 'complete' your digital, opening up a softer tonal quality with the una corda (left) pedal, and of course sostenuto with the middle (where only the notes held down with your fingers at the point of depressing the pedal are sustained).

If you're a novice you probably don't need to worry about the extra pedals right now, but they will be nice to have as your playing develops.

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
I had classical lessons through high school, and I've been playing for more than 30 yrs.; and I now work on some very advanced classical repertoire, and in all that time I've never used anything but the rt. (sustain, or damper) pedal on either the acoustic or digital pianos I've played. In pieces that have the soft (lt.) pedal indication ("una corda/tre corde"), you don't have to use the soft pedal--no one but a nitpicker will miss anything if you don't use it. As for the middle (sostenuto) pedal, you never would use this in a lifetime of playing--I still haven't really figured out when or where you would use it.

Up until around the 1980's, it was not uncommon for some very expensive acoustic pianos to come with only two pedals, the soft and damper. I once saw a classical concert by a big-time concert pianist, and he continuously used all three pedals in a piece that obviously called for only the right pedal; this was probably him just showing off ("look, I can use all three pedals on stage in front of thousands of people while you can't even use one well at home"), because what was coming out of the piano was putting me to sleep.

Buying an expensive factory 3-pedal unit for the FP-7 would be a complete waste of money, because you'd never use the lt. and middle pedals.

Last edited by Gyro; 06/03/11 04:18 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted by Gyro
I had classical lessons through high school, and I've been playing for more than 30 yrs.; and I now work on some very advanced classical repertoire, and in all that time I've never used anything but the rt. (sustain, or damper) pedal on either the acoustic or digital pianos I've played. In pieces that have the soft (lt.) pedal indication ("una corda/tre corde"), you don't have to use the soft pedal--no one but a nitpicker will miss anything if you don't use it. As for the middle (sostenuto) pedal, you never would use this in a lifetime of playing--I still haven't really figured out when or where you would use it.

Whilst it's true that the vast majority of repertoire doesn't call for the use of sostenuto, una corda is very common indeed. Yes, you could just play quieter, but that wouldn't be faithful to the composers intentions - una corda pedalling results in a different, softer timbre (i.e. not just quieter) that I'm sure even non-nitpickers would notice. If you're not using the left pedal, your missing out on a whole different tonal range the piano has to offer!

Up until around the 1980's, it was not uncommon for some very expensive acoustic pianos to come with only two pedals, the soft and damper. I once saw a classical concert by a big-time concert pianist, and he continuously used all three pedals in a piece that obviously called for only the right pedal; this was probably him just showing off ("look, I can use all three pedals on stage in front of thousands of people while you can't even use one well at home"), because what was coming out of the piano was putting me to sleep.

Mmm. The sostenuto pedal has been around since the late 19th Century - virtually all of the grands I've ever played have had 3 pedals, and some were made in the early 20th Century.

As for the concert pianist you found so underwhelming, I doubt he was showing off, and it was probably Debussy or Ravel you were being treated to!

Buying an expensive factory 3-pedal unit for the FP-7 would be a complete waste of money, because you'd never use the lt. and middle pedals.

I don't agree. Yes, the sostenuto pedal may be rarely used, but the expressive una corda is common in classical repertoire. As mentioned elsewhere above, it's a solid unit that won't move about as much under the feet, and can be used as a continuous controller when playing other instrument sounds. I do agree it's not essential, but it is worthwhile if you can afford it.

Una Corde is definitely useful and a different/softer tone.When you play Una Corde on a conventional Grand,it shifts the keyboard and you are playing less strings

Piano sales consultant
Australian Piano Warehouse-Melbourne Australia
30 years and still going
Steinway upright,Yamaha upright,Roland RD800,Korg Kronos
I've decided to get one.

"Amateurs practice until they get a piece right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Scott Prell
I've decided to get one.

Scott, was it in stock? Some stores say they will ship in May...

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
You're right -- May. I decided to get a Roland stand now since my current, cheap X-stand is rickety, and my wife is afraid of a piano crash in case of earthquake (we live in California).

The RPU-3 pedal will have to wait till 2013 now...

"Amateurs practice until they get a piece right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
E
EO3 Offline
E
Does anybody know where to get RPU-3 from Europe web-shops (except Thomann)?
(I ordered from local shop, but still no delivery, at the moment thinking either requesting money back and just using the 1 pedal I already got or ordering from somewhere else, as it seems less and less crucial to have all 3 pedals to me).

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission