2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1688328 06/01/11 08:00 AM
L
OP Offline
L
I am going to be sitting an exam and just want some thoughts on the pieces I have chosen. The syllabus says I must choose ONE piece of list A, ONE piece of list B, and at least TWO pieces from list C. The performance must go for 25-35 minutes (I believe I'm not required to play repeats). I guess I have the following questions:

1. Have I chosen too many pieces?
2. Are my pieces diverse enough? (if you need an idea of what I have to choose from, let me know)
3. Are there any obvious difficulties from my selection? (i.e. are my pieces too famous and therefore have a higher standard/expectation)

LIST A
Etude Op 749 No 1 (Czerny)

LIST B
Sonata in D major No 50 Hob XVI:37 (Haydn)

LIST C
Mazurka in C# minor Op 50 No 3 (Chopin)
Liebestraume S541 No 3 (Liszt)
Prelude C# minor Op 3 No 2 (Rachmaninoff)
Capulets and Montagues Op 63 No 6 (Prokofiev)

Comments, hints and observations will be greatly appreciated.

A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
Which exam is it?

Gould #1688344 06/01/11 08:23 AM
L
OP Offline
L
It's a new certificate offered by the Australian Music Examinations Board called the Certificate of Performance.

A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
F
F
Is there any alternative to Czerny?

The notes I handle no better than many pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, that is where the art resides! - Schnabel
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Chopin/Liszt/Rachmaninoff might be too much of the same, why not throw in some Debussy/Ravel instead? Czerny, mm, why not something more appealing indeed..

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
I agree with dolce sfogato - Chopin, Liszt AND rachmaninoff might be a bit of an overkill. List C includes Schubert, Scriabin and Debussy, amongst others. You might want to think about swapping the Chopin or Liszt for something a little different?

There does seems to be appealing choices in the Certificate syllabus for List A too... but perhaps you like the Czerny?

What does your teacher think? Any suggestions from your teacher?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My sylllabus says that the Czerny should be op 740 - was that a typo?

List A would be the hardest for me to choose; lots of etudes by Cramer, Mocsheles, Moskowski, Mendelssohn, Czerny, the only other option being a selection of Scarlatti sonatas. It seems an odd combination, but I've never played any Scarlatti so I don't really know.

I like your Haydn selection, that's one I'm thinking of in the distant future when and if I do this exam, and I'm pretty keen on the Prokofiev and have purchased it already and read through.

When is your exam?

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
L
OP Offline
L
I did mean Czerny Op 740. There isn't much choice that I'm familiar with. For List A I have Cramer Studies, Moscheles Etudes, Moskowski Etudes and Scarlatti Sonatas (selections obviously).

For List C, I was thinking of dropping the Chopin, it's the one I am least in love with. Some other pieces I considered in its place are:

- Bartok Allegro Barbaro
- Debussy Reverie
- Grieg Op 65 No 6
- Schumann Arabesque

I guess from the comments, I will have to change my program. I think I will leave the Czerny though, it's a good piece to warm my fingers up. Even if it is boring, it takes up 2 minutes of the audience's time, so it'll be over soon after it begins.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission