2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
75 members (Alex Hutor, Andrew E., BarbaraRose, apianostudent, 18 invisible), 1,506 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Piano Rule #1 for me (as an adult with a full-time job) is to have fun and keep trying to learn new things/improve as you go along. smile

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
And Rule #2, for me anyway, is in all cases refer to Rule #1. smile

Lighten up, clayts, it's pretty obvious you're just trolling for attention here.

Collector of sheet music I can't play.

Chickering & Sons Quarter Grand (rebuilt 2021)
Casio Privia PX-160
C
C
Out of curiosity, what do you feel you have accomplished which entitles you to disparage others so easily?

You say that the pianists here have no ambition, but I am curious - what exams or grades have you passed? What are you specifically doing which might be so much better than what the others here are doing?

Do you have a preferred exam system (RCM, ARSBM, etc)? Which one are you currently a student of?

I am an adult and am pursuing a university level degree in addition to working full time, but I would not want to go head to head with many of the performers here. Just because someone is not "doing grades", entering competitions or devoting every waking minute to the piano does not mean that they are not already better than you or I will ever be.

You are a beginner surrounded by musicians of high calibre and expansive skills. Show some respect.

Edit: I apologise for feeding the troll.

Last edited by CraigG; 05/31/11 04:55 PM.

Ignorance is not a point of view.
What is "trolling"????

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

E
E
hmmm lack of ambition. I lack ambition today because I am dead tired but other than that I am full of the stuff. I take exams but that does not mean that I am any more ambitious than someone who doesnt. Exams cost between $75 and $500 and that is a little more than ambition, I work my behind off to afford lessons and exams ontop of life expenses and if one day I could no longer afford it I would still have the ambition to carry on. Music is a gift and wether your ambition is in exams, or playing the songs you like and improving on what you know without lessons it is still going to be a gift that you can share and have forever.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Cool link, Monica, thank you. I've bookmarked that one for my older students.

With everything going on around here lately, I just went and checked; we're still two weeks away from a full moon!

As far as clayts experience, well, this is a quote of his/hers from March 29 of this year:
Thanks some of the pieces are very difficult in book4 and are for grades 5 to 8 and i have not took grade 1 yet, just seems like the pieces are very advanced for my level as I find book 3 very difficult. Thank you for reading my post.

So, how far have you progressed in two months with your outstanding ambition?

People who live in glass houses....

Collector of sheet music I can't play.

Chickering & Sons Quarter Grand (rebuilt 2021)
Casio Privia PX-160

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michael Taylor
What is "trolling"????

Quoted from wikipedia:
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory[citation needed], extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted".

Clayts, I've said this before - you're new here, you don't know us. And yet, here you are going out of your way to offend us again.

I won't bother to repeat all the excellent comments already made about why we may or may not be interested in exams - but I would like to say that I agree with the suggestion that some capital letters and punctuation would go a long way to improving the readability of your posts.

On a slightly different note - I seem to have missed the news on the red piano - what gives? Rostosky, you beat me to the punch on getting dibs on the cardboardano! wink Darn.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly

On a slightly different note - I seem to have missed the news on the red piano - what gives? Rostosky, you beat me to the punch on getting dibs on the cardboardano! wink Darn.

Casin-french-piano-magazine-italy. I am so sorry, but my bid has not been accepted yet! But if it is, I am prepared to share On a sort of "time share" the cardboardanno, with fellow pianists, or ornithologists.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Originally Posted by casinitaly

Casin-french-piano-magazine-italy. I am so sorry, but my bid has not been accepted yet! But if it is, I am prepared to share On a sort of "time share" the cardboardanno, with fellow pianists, or ornithologists.

I found the thread smile.

Rostos-cardboardano-coiner-onIlklymoor-withoutahat-sky, that's really very generous of you. I will refrain from submitting my own bid, in order to not push the price up.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I thank you !
I don't know how much clayts wants for it, but I hope it's not more than 89p + PP, and sweetners.
I cant afford the sort of "sweetners" that your prime minister gets (cant spell his name offhand) the Welsh girls round these parts are very rough, they eat too much offel, but are good at raising chickens.
They dont seem to have much "ambition" either, the last girl from the village I live in who had "ambition" was called Mandy Rice Davies. Born of course "mandy rhys davies"
A quick "google" should inform.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
, please dont try and outbid me. I need this for an art project.

could you send me a photocopy, thnx

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Totally Wayne ! no probs , clayts hasn't answered my request to buy it as yet.. I suppose, it's possible, that it may not exist.
(in this dimension)lol.

M
M
Well, as a retired guy who just loves to sit down and learn something new every day, I guess you could say I'm without ambition.

I don't care to perform in public, pass any exams, get paid for playing, accompany a singer, jam with a group, or record a CD. I want to sit down and master measure 18 of "Amazing Grace" from Alfred's Book #1. Then I want to play the whole thing several times to PLEASE MY OWN EAR and give myself a feeling that I've really accomplished something.

Then I want to play the rest of the pieces in Book #1 and move on to Book #2. After a year or two I hope to finish Book #3.

I can already play all 24 major and minor harmonic scales pretty creditably, so that's one goal accomplished!

My other ambitions are to be a good husband, father, grandfather, friend, and forum member. Oh, and to someday finish reading "Remembrance of Things Past."

I have a lot on my plate.

Last edited by Michael Steen; 05/31/11 08:05 PM.

I'm getting there--note by note.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Michael, surely Prousts Rememberence of things past should count as MASSIVE ambition on its own? 7 volumes....
Are you going for the original French or the english translation?

2,000 characters in a book wow!

well done!!

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
They dont seem to have much "ambition" either, the last girl from the village I live in who had "ambition" was called Mandy Rice Davies. Born of course "mandy rhys davies"
A quick "google" should inform.

Some of us are old enough to remember without needing google. Not the original affair ... that was before I was born. But the movie Scandal based on the affair ... oh, how I had a huge crush on Joanne Whalley (Kilmer) when I was younger!!!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Andy, sorry for suggesting that everyone needed to google!
I have actually sat in the flat where Mandy used to live in our village, it's above what used to be a cop-op in the sixties,but is now a day centre for the elderly. The flat above is still rented out just as in Mandy and Christines day !!
I have some original documents from the time as well titled "scandel" How the mighty fell !!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Actually, forgot to mention, in the sixties,the village where I live was even smaller, typical welsh village. Probably one tractor and one morris minor a day travelled the road. A bus would take you to the nearest town (10 miles away) once a day.

Because Mandy still had her relatives here, both she and Christine used to visit "home"... Imagine in the sixties, two Lasses garbed in fur coats, arriving in a Rolls Royce !!
As the Welsh would have said "Ju Ju".

M
M
How do you know what everyone's ambition is? I would think you would need to be told by each individual member what their ambition is.

Learning to play the piano is ambitious.

"Music is what feeling's sound like"

Adult Piano Adventures (The F.J.H Music Company)
RCM Prepatory
RCM Grade 1
RCM Grade 2 (working on)

RCM Theory
Hanon
M
M
Michael, surely Prousts Rememberence of things past should count as MASSIVE ambition on its own? 7 volumes....
Are you going for the original French or the english translation?

Um, English. The only French I know is "croissant." BTW, I've gotten 1/3 of the way through twice and then lost steam. Now I'll have to start over. I don't think I'll make a list of the characters. smile

I'm getting there--note by note.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Selling Hammond D100 (think B3) Organ & Leslie HL722!
---------------------
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin L vs. Steinway A
by noyes - 10/26/21 06:08 PM
New Steinway O- Yeti Revelation Scoring Grand
by newer player - 10/26/21 01:54 PM
Difficulty Adjusting to a lighter weight piano
by CoffeeTea21 - 10/26/21 12:57 PM
Non-creaky beginner piano setup?
by cai.linn - 10/26/21 12:56 PM
Upright Dampers - thin wood backing
by jkess114 - 10/26/21 12:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,756
Posts3,142,212
Members103,122
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission