2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1957, bcalvanese, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,377 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1686250 05/28/11 07:26 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
I'm interested in getting Book 2 of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier. Is the Henle worth the price over the Schirmer edition?

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by joangolfing
Is the Henle worth the price over the Schirmer edition?
*Y*E*S*

Du holde Kunst...
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I wonder which is 'the' Schirmer edition nowadays (given that you could once choose from WTC editions by Bischoff, Czerny and Hughes). The Search feature at their website is so ridiculous that it's not even possible to tell.

At Sheet Music Plus, it appears that the Czerny is still in print. And it's also public domain at IMSLP/Petrucci! Considering that Schirmer abandoned quality bindings with sewn-in pages in favor of cheaply glued guaranteed-to-fall-apart bindings decades ago, I wonder why anybody would buy it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Don't get Schirmer's Czerny edition.

-Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Ok, thanks for the replies. It's Henle for me.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
YES!

Best regards,

Deborah
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Schirmer should burn. If you can, get Barenreiter.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Schirmer should burn. If you can, get Barenreiter.

Their editions of Rachmaninoff's 2nd and 3rd concertos are a steal compared to others though!

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Yeah they're not so bad, but still - I've seen some pretty stupid stuff with Beethoven, and even more stupid stuff with (I'll never forget that) Schumann's a minor violin sonata - different NOTES and everything! I mean, really.. and for Beethoven 31/3, I remember seeing they'd group the notes differently, so that you actually will end up playing it wrong if you attempted their way, and wrong dynamics everywhere - most of which you couldn't even distinguish from the real ones (as opposed to their edited ones). I hate them! Except for Scarlatti - I remember there was one good editor haha..

Btw I use International and Dover for Rachmaninoff and never had a problem. When I was learning Rach 1 from Schirmer, I did notice a wrong cleff. When I was sight reading it, I ended up with hands crossed and sounding borderline atonal, and I was like, "this can't be right"

Last edited by Pogorelich.; 05/28/11 11:38 PM.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by joangolfing
Is the Henle worth the price over the Schirmer edition?
*Y*E*S*

Yes, for Henle. However, because I can never remember which squiggle nor which curlicue nor which twitch is which when it comes to Baroque ornamentation, I've augmented my WTC with Willard Palmer's edition where all ornaments are written out above/below the staff. However, beware: this edition from Alfred Masterworks is heavily edited, but the editing is clearly distinguished from the original by being in grey type. As a second reference, but not to replace an Urtext, Palmer can be very informative.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
If you can, get Barenreiter.

I see they are on sale right now at Sheet Music Plus. What makes them good for the WTC?

Btw I use International and Dover for Rachmaninoff and never had a problem. When I was learning Rach 1 from Schirmer, I did notice a wrong cleff. When I was sight reading it, I ended up with hands crossed and sounding borderline atonal, and I was like, "this can't be right"

I was going to ask where, but I guess if I actually learn it then I'll notice, haha.

Schirmer is just plain hard to read, half the time. The other half, you're scratching your head trying for the life of you to figure out what the heck the composer actually meant...

Originally Posted by wr
If you can, get Barenreiter.

I see they are on sale right now at Sheet Music Plus. What makes them good for the WTC?

To my understanding, their Bach scholarship is pretty on the top of the heap right now. Other than that, Barenreiters are always very easy to read with gorgeous fonts and whatnot; well spaced lines and notes on beautiful (slightly yellow, like Henle but more homey, if that makes sense) paper. I consider them just about equal with Henle these days, plus they have sensuously colored covers, different for each composer! If it's on sale where you are, go for it. No question, in my mind anyway.

Last edited by AldenH; 05/29/11 12:15 AM.
Peters.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." - S. Rachmaninoff
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by BruceD
Yes, for Henle. However, because I can never remember which squiggle nor which curlicue nor which twitch is which when it comes to Baroque ornamentation, I've augmented my WTC with Willard Palmer's edition where all ornaments are written out above/below the staff. However, beware: this edition from Alfred Masterworks is heavily edited, but the editing is clearly distinguished from the original by being in grey type. As a second reference, but not to replace an Urtext, Palmer can be very informative.

Regards,

Unfortunately, Willard Palmer edited only Volume 1 of the WTC for Alfred.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
[/quote BruceD]Yes, for Henle. However, because I can never remember which squiggle nor which curlicue nor which twitch is which when it comes to Baroque ornamentation, I've augmented my WTC with Willard Palmer's edition where all ornaments are written out above/below the staff. However, beware: this edition from Alfred Masterworks is heavily edited, but the editing is clearly distinguished from the original by being in grey type. As a second reference, but not to replace an Urtext, Palmer can be very informative. [/quote]

I do the same. Ditto for the Inventions and Sinfonias.

(I find the Czerny edition to be a fascinating curiosity.... kind of like visiting a strange, alien and confounding
land.......or planet.......)

Last edited by Gerard12; 05/29/11 05:16 AM.

Piano instruction and performance
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
I ordered the Henle WTC Part 2. Thanks for this interesting discussion. I have the Henle Inventions and Sinfonien.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gerard12
I do the same. Ditto for the Inventions and Sinfonias.

(I find the Czerny edition to be a fascinating curiosity.... kind of like visiting a strange, alien and confounding
land.......or planet.......)

Yes!
Last week my teacher was so pleased with my P&F that she (as a reward wink ) pulled a book from the music cabinet and said "Have a look at this!". We poured over it in fascinated horror. It would have been less shocking if she had produced a bottle of whisky and poured me a shot!

I have Music Budapest Urtext which are fine for me (and the paper is lovely creamy colour). I haven't seen the Henle.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
A
A
Bärenreiter

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by chercherchopin
[...]
Unfortunately, Willard Palmer edited only Volume 1 of the WTC for Alfred.

My mistake. Vol II is edited by Judith Schneider (studied with Igor Kipnis and Waldemar Döling; master classes with Gustav Leonhardt); fingering by Maria Sofianska.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie

I have Music Budapest Urtext which are fine for me (and the paper is lovely creamy colour). I haven't seen the Henle.

Music Budapest is indeed worth a thought. I think I mentioned it in the Teachers Forum some time ago. Still Urtext, and pretty cheap. I like the creamy colour too. The only thing I don't like is that I need something to keep the book open... smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission