2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by mwf
and youre not right saying someone cant develop a full range of tone and sonority and technical skill on a cheap console piano, how do you know that for certain

You cannot develop skills for something you cannot reproduce. So if your DP is not able to reproduce specific subtle tone differences you can't develop the skills to reproduce them. It's that easy.

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
M
M
Originally Posted by kippesc

Second, the keyboard had an odd quality to it that made its touch unrealistic compared to an acoustic. The initial touch weight of the key was too heavy, so that in quiet chordal passages, it was not possible to play all notes cleanly. These types of quiet block cords are all over Debussy's music.
The Clavinova CLP-340 suffers from the same problem. This is such a ridiculous problem concerning the so-called high-end keyboard actions by Yamaha, I actually find the GHS and the GH far more playable than the GH3 and GH3+NW regardless what the advertising departments may say. It's a double win, actually, because keyboards with GH and GHS are far cheaper than those with GH3 and GH3+NW

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I give up, after the last comment by Mucci, thats it from me, you think what you want.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by mwf
I give up, after the last comment by Mucci, thats it from me, you think what you want.

- hint - hint - hint -

You could reply:

Most of todays affordable DPs have enough capabilities to reproduce most if not all required skills for a beginner to intermediate player. So if you have budget constraints you could be able to maker considerable progress in learning playing the piano. There is no need to have a N3 to learn playing the piano.

And I would then reply: You're absolutely right!

smile

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Most of todays affordable DPs have enough capabilities to reproduce most if not all required skills for a beginner to Expert player. So if you have budget constraints you could be able to make considerable progress in learning playing the piano. There is no need to have a N3 to learn playing the piano, or to play at an advanced level.

laugh

Originally Posted by Moomintroll
I actually find the GHS and the GH far more playable than the GH3 and GH3+NW regardless what the advertising departments may say.

confused

Are you serious?!

I've GH3 and there's no way to compare with GH or GHS regarding expressiveness or fast notes repeating

GEM Promega 3 (sold) - Yamaha CLP 170 (sold) - Acuna88 (sold) - Kawai VPC1 + BK7m - Yamaha P125 + VSTi
M
M
Originally Posted by Qbert
Originally Posted by Moomintroll
I actually find the GHS and the GH far more playable than the GH3 and GH3+NW regardless what the advertising departments may say.

confused

Are you serious?!

I've GH3 and there's no way to compare with GH or GHS regarding expressiveness or fast notes repeating
I've tried several CLP-340s and all of them showed the same keyboard action insufficiency, so yes, I am absolutely serious. I'll also be far happier if in the future you find more polite ways to react to my opinion.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Moomintroll,

GH3 is technically superior to GH/GHS. However, if you prefer to play the latter, that's absolutely fine - each to their own, etc.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
I, too, find that to be odd. The GH3 is mechanically identical to the GH.

If you feel a difference (GH vs. GH3), then perhaps it's related to sample variation?

I've noticed differences between the "same" GH3 keyboard on a CLP330 and that on a CLP240. Both were new pianos (three years ago).

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by mwf
Most of todays affordable DPs have enough capabilities to reproduce most if not all required skills for a beginner to Expert player. So if you have budget constraints you could be able to make considerable progress in learning playing the piano. There is no need to have a N3 to learn playing the piano, or to play at an advanced level.

laugh

You're... oh wait...

You almost got me! wink thumb

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
wink

I think the GHS had amazing fast repetition of same keys compared to the GH3. dont know if anyone else found this.

Originally Posted by mwf
wink

I think the GHS had amazing fast repetition of same keys compared to the GH3. dont know if anyone else found this.

Ok, I give up!

I can't understand why Yammy spends money in developping new keybeds, adding 3rd sensors and so on.... if people don't realize any differences with older models.

GEM Promega 3 (sold) - Yamaha CLP 170 (sold) - Acuna88 (sold) - Kawai VPC1 + BK7m - Yamaha P125 + VSTi
M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
the repetition of a key is a tricky one though, you have to remember that GH3 was marketed as an 'enhanced' repetition and smoother repetition of notes that blend better or whatever. At no point, I am pretty sure of this, did they mention you could strike the key quicker many times to achieve more notes per second on the same key, they just marketed it so you thought that was included in the GH3.

The 3rd sensor allows the player to re-press the key before it comes back completely, as a real piano does.

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
no thats incorrect, the third sensor is a sensor and only allows you to play/hear the notes smoother in repetition, its only a sensor and not an actual mechanism to allow faster reptetition of the same key. The key repetition on GH3 is rubbish, you should try the PHAIII I have on my Roland HP307 - far better!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by mwf
no thats incorrect, the third sensor is a sensor and only allows you to play/hear the notes smoother in repetition, its only a sensor and not an actual mechanism to allow faster reptetition of the same key. The key repetition on GH3 is rubbish, you should try the PHAIII I have on my Roland HP307 - far better!

Sorry but you're talking rubbish. I'm not a fan of Yamaha, but it's exactly as stated before: The third sensor is about halfway down the full keypress. So the sensor can detect when the key has moved up about halfway. It doesn't stop playing the note then, but if you repress the key, it plays a new note. Without that sensor this wouldn't happen...

Understood?

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
no, the GH3 keyboard lets you play the same note repeatedly with perfect articulation, they claim, they dont say this third sensor helps you play same notes faster, dont you understand what a sensor is? do you understand that a sensor detects your playing, does not mean it changes the whole mechanism of the keyboard when you suddenly decide to play the same key more rapidy, its a senor not a device.

mwf: D'oh! Are you trying to become our new Gyro?

J
J
GH3 Keyboard
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by James Q; 06/30/11 12:50 AM.

Let's enjoy playing the piano.
Yamaha Avant-grand N2
Galaxy Vintage D + Vienna Grand
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks James Q, that illustrates it perfectly. I hope mwf now understands and stops being ignorant.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission