2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1682147 05/21/11 02:04 PM
ilychy Offline OP
OP Offline
Could someone explain what the equalizer is for? All I know is that when I click on the equalizer button, the piano sounds much crisper, and I prefer it. Is that a default eq setting?

What eq setting do you use, if any, and what eq setting can get the most realistic acoustic-like sound?

Thanks.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
All is explained on p71 of the manual smile

ilychy Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, not entirely. For example, when I click on the equalizer button, does that mean that the equalizer setting I last selected before leaving the equalizer menu is activated? And if I don't press the equalizer button, what settings are being used?

Also, what eq setting can produce the most realistic acoustic-like sound? Does anyone have recommended settings? The manual doesn't address this question.

Thanks.

L
L
Originally Posted by ilychy

Also, what eq setting can produce the most realistic acoustic-like sound? Does anyone have recommended settings? The manual doesn't address this question.

I don't think the manual can answer that question. The room you're in, where the speakers are, whether you're playing through separate speakers or headphones are all going to change the sound. You'd need to tailor the EQ to fit the environment.

ilychy Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Lefty Chev

I don't think the manual can answer that question. The room you're in, where the speakers are, whether you're playing through separate speakers or headphones are all going to change the sound. You'd need to tailor the EQ to fit the environment.

Thank you for your reply, Lefty Chev. Do you know of any guide / tutorial that can teach me about eq and what settings are generally used for what kind of room / equipment? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

L
L

Thank you for your reply, Lefty Chev. Do you know of any guide / tutorial that can teach me about eq and what settings are generally used for what kind of room / equipment? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The only advice I can give you is to turn the nobs and listen. Part of this is also personal preference. Piano is extremely new to me so I'm in no position to offer you any advice on piano related things, but I can point you to some things to read about frequencies.

This page talks about the frequency of each key on the piano. With this and the page in your manual talking about adjusting the EQ, you can see what happens with the keys in the frequency range that you're adjusting.

ilychy Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Lefty Chev

The only advice I can give you is to turn the nobs and listen. Part of this is also personal preference. Piano is extremely new to me so I'm in no position to offer you any advice on piano related things, but I can point you to some things to read about frequencies.

This page talks about the frequency of each key on the piano. With this and the page in your manual talking about adjusting the EQ, you can see what happens with the keys in the frequency range that you're adjusting.

Will do, thanks. Off to some tinkering and trial and error...

L
L
Something else to play around with is what the EQ does to frequencies that are harmonics. For instance, middle C is 261 Hz, the harmonics will be multiples of that frequency. First order harmonic will be 422, second order would be 683 and so on. There will be some effect on notes that aren't within the range you're adjusting.

Last edited by Lefty Chev; 05/21/11 10:58 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Normally you press the Equalizer button and then you use the +/- buttons to select a different Equalization style. It's shown graphically (1-4 options I believe). And then you can customize the Equalization charts.

When you first hit the Equalizer button, I don't it does anything yet other than bring up the last Equalization. So there's really no change.

But you can save an EQ choice with a Registration.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

M
M
You can choose an Equalizer setting 1, 2 or 3 and then, as jazzwee said, tweak it. That's what I did on my FP-7F.

I am quite klutzy technically so I apologize if this description is poor.

I preferred setting 3, so I chose it by holding down the Equalizer button while scrolling with the + button. Then I pressed Function, scrolled via the * button down to Equalizer, pressed blinking "Piano" and then (after consulting the Manual) chose new settings for gain and frequency. I like less bass in the lower octaves, which to me sounds more realistic, so I gradually sloped off the frequencies below 1K by several db til I was satisfied. Lastly, as I recall, I saved my final choices using the Memory Backup function, which is second from the end in the Function menu.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission