2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 2,012 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What an inspiration she is! She plays all styles so easily - solo cocktail piano, jazz, boogie - whatever!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano Girl RMG
I worked out the arrangement over the course of the last year, playing it on my gigs. I had some real train wrecks while I was working on it---it's not an easy piece, although it sounds deceptively simple.

Proper title is Comptine d'un Autre Été, L'Apres Midi. (left out the accent on apres because I can't find it on my computer keyboard!)

I've played that for a while now. I'm glad you said it is deceptively simple.. which it is.. It is EVERYONE'S favorite piece and my student played in the school talent show. She did an awesome job.. playing it with flair rather than sentimentality.

I'm very sorry that I came to the end of the book.. It was so much fun to read.

What am I going to read now?

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I don't think one could write out the stuff Marian can play! Piano Girl - I really like your left hand rhythmic chord clusters.

Last edited by daviel; 05/20/11 08:56 AM. Reason: clusters

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Thanks, Daviel. I shall show this to my jazz musician husband and say, "See?"

Apple, you are so sweet. You get it. Motherhood, piano, balancing act. I'm waiting for your book. "Songs from the Church," or something like that.

Waltz of the AP is now up on Kindle, for all of you Kindle fans (I'm one of them!).

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
Available June 18th, 2021--Piano Girl Playbook: Notes on a Musical Life
Also by RMG: Piano Girl, A Memoir; Waltz of the Asparagus People; Rhythm; Manhattan Roadtrip
Music by RMG available on all platforms
RMG is a Steinway Artist

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Originally Posted by Piano Girl RMG

Proper title is Comptine d'un Autre Été, L'Apres Midi. (left out the accent on apres because I can't find it on my computer keyboard!) I chose to put it on the CD because I thought it suited the story called The Apricot Tree, about the French luthier who made my husband's bass.

Yes, it captures the sense of nostalgia and the passing of time well.

One of the things I don't like about iTunes is that they rarely make the liner notes available. Does the physical CD tell which chapter goes with each track? I can make guesses for the ones that aren't obvious, but it would be embarrassing if I were wrong.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...I stay at the studio to record several solo holiday pieces for an NPR Piano Jazz Christmas CD. My piano has slipped out of tune, so I slide over to Marian’s. I imagine, just for a moment, what it’s like to be her.

"Several weeks later I perform a reading and concert in the rotunda at Steinway Hall. Marian, who has her own concert on the same night, sends flowers. FROM ONE PIANO GIRL TO ANOTHER, the card reads. WISH I COULD BE THERE."

So delicious, Robin. This captures the heart of the book, in just a few skillful lines. I just love it.

Clef

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Thanks, Jeff! I had such fun writing that story.

Monica, the liner notes for the recording are minimal. I figured since I had written an entire book to go with the music, I would keep the CD text minimal. So many of of the songs on the CD overlap from one story to another--there are exceptions to this, like Tattooed Bride and Waltz of the AP, but many of the others suit more than one story. I thought it would be fun to let the listener decide.

Also (this is a nice problem to have), I have distinct group of "music only" fans. These loyal listeners want nothing to do with my books, either because they're not avid readers or because they don't enjoy memoir, or whatever. But I needed to come up with a recording that would hold up on its own for this group.

The physical CD will be available soon, BTW.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
Also by RMG: Piano Girl, A Memoir; Waltz of the Asparagus People; Rhythm; Manhattan Roadtrip
RMG is a Steinway Artist
speaking of the book...

I really liked the photo you chose Robin for the back cover..

how perfect is it?.. you peeking, dressed in the latest color.. i could say more... it's really nice.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
J
J
Hi, It is not showing up as available for the kindle.
Is it UK only?

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Kindle.com
Kindle.co.uk
Kindle.de

Hi Jusef,
Links are above. Hope they work for you.

Apple, glad you like the photo. My kids call it half-a-mommy. It's part of a series of photos taken by My-Linh Kunst, for her beautiful coffee table book called Beyond Borders: Portraits of American Women from around the World. It was an honor to be asked to participate in her project. Somehow that half shot seemed right for WAP!

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist
J
J
Thanks Robin,

So weird I couldn't get it by searching Amazon.
Just purchased. Can't wait to read it.

Joe

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Good, Josuff—glad you got through. Enjoy the book!

Just got word that International Piano will be publishing a review and excerpt in their summer issue! So I'm very happy about that—it's a nice magazine.

I'm very excited about meeting some PW members on their European tour in less than two weeks. I'll be doing a little concert and reading for them on June 8th, at Schloss Lerbach. What fun!

Big wedding to play this evening. The bride booked me after she read the book, but assured that she didn't have any tattoos!

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I just finished it.

Loved it - it is even better than the Memoirs!

I think one aspect that I especially enjoyed was reading about another person's experiences with moving to a new country where you don't speak the language. I have been through so much of what you describe, I can only imagine all the stories you had to sift through before deciding which ones to include.

I wept with laughter and I wept with an aching heart - This is a splendid, well-written book. Every chapter has its own message, and these cover the full spectrum of human experience and emotion.

I would even recommend this book to non-piano playing folks smile

Lovely work Robin, I hope your sales are rocketing - you have written a little gem here.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Thank you so much, Casinitaly!!! Since you live in Italy, you probably related to the expatriate theme that runs through the book.

I know that the one very sad story in the book is a departure from the easy-breezy fun style of the other pieces, but, as you must guess, it was a story I really needed to write.

Thank you again for your very kind words.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I bought both your books to take to camp over Memorial Day weekend. Since the weather was cold and wet, I snuggled up all weekend and finished both. These are keepers! They will live on my bookshelf in perpetuity. I can't even tell you how much I enjoyed them. Hope you write another one soon!

Sandy

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by piRround
I bought both your books to take to camp over Memorial Day weekend. Since the weather was cold and wet, I snuggled up all weekend and finished both. These are keepers! They will live on my bookshelf in perpetuity. I can't even tell you how much I enjoyed them. Hope you write another one soon!

We are meeting Robin tomorrow here in Germany, can't wait.
I agree, her books are wonderful.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Thank you, Sandy! Wow, two books in one weekend? That's real Piano Girl marathon. You've made me very happy with your post.

Frank, it's six in the morning and you and the PW tour group are probably having breakfast and preparing for your trip from Hamburg to Cologne. I can't believe that in a few hours I will finally meet you face to face. Have a safe trip, and John and I will meet you at the WDR Funkhaus at 2:00.

Tomorrow, Wednesday. I am doing a private reading and concert for the PW group at Schlosshotel Lerbach, the castle where I play the piano every weekend. This place is the source for many of the stories in the new book.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist
R
R
The music is so beautiful.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Thanks, Renata! I'm really proud of this recording. I think I was so focused on the book, I forgot to be nervous for the recording session, so I've ended up with a pretty relaxed album of some of my favorite tunes. In my business, "relaxed" is good!

I am so happy to report that I now have twelve 5-star reviews for the book on Amazon, some of them from PW members. THANK YOU!!!!

It was an honor and pleasure to perform for the PW European tour group at Schlosshotel Lerbach. What fun it was to finally meet Frank Baxter and some of the other PW participants.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission