2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1680901 05/19/11 12:47 PM
S
Sumsar Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello there!

I´m considering buying one of the four following stage pianos:

- Kawai MP10
- Roland RD-700NX
- Roland FP-7F
- Yamaha CP5

Which one would you recommend me to go for? Or is there a fifth possibility that I´ve overlooked?

Ordinarily I´m making beats and songs in Logic on my Mac, but I think it would be very nice to have an amazing stage piano in my home studio both for practicing and as an integrated part of a computer music production environment. In my choice of a stage piano, I really attach importance to a very great build quality, some very solid and firm keys, a pretty intuitive user interface and above all; magnificent piano sounds :-)

I would be very happy if some of you please could give me some advice!

Thank you in advance...

- Rasmus

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'd go with the MP10 or RD-700NX. Both have good controller capabilities and amazing action. The CP5 is a killer board as well, and many swear by them. It too has great action, but I think the MP10/RD-700NX have a little better action for piano work. Ultimately, you need to play all these boards and make up your own mind...don't let us talk you into something! smile BTW, the action in the FP-7F is the same as the RD-700NX, but you lose the controller capabilities AFAIK.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
M
M
I agree with Zac. I had to make the same decision recently and went with the RD700NX, mostly because of all the extra sounds which are very useable in music production.

Roland RD700NX, Korg SV1 88.

Thank God for the gift of Music
S
Sumsar Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi guys!

Thanks a lot for your replies - it´s very nice to get some advice :-)

What keybed do you think is the most durable? (Personally I really like that the keys feel pretty firm and a little heavy).

Kind regards
Rasmus

PS: Do you think that RD-700NX definitely is worth the extra money compared to FP-7F?

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Sumsar
Do you think that RD-700NX definitely is worth the extra money compared to FP-7F?

I think it's just a matter of whether you need its extra features (i.e. MIDI controller stuff, tonewheel organ emulation, supernatural EP). As a piano alone, I don't know that the 700 has any advantages... and it has a disadvantage in that you lose the speakers.

I think you should be considering the Kawai MP6 too as it is a more portable instrument for stage then the MP10 and offers a high quality action, though not as spectacular as the MP10. It also includes many more sounds so surely ought to be on your list.

M
M
I'm sure the RD700NX keybed will be very reliable. I've had a RD Stage piano continuously for the past 19 years, starting with the old RD300s (11 years) RD700 (7 years) and now the 700NX. They have all had great weighted feel efficient actions. They have always been very solid and I guess the most important thing I can say about Roland Stage Pianos is that in over 19 years of owning them, none of them have ever been to the service department. That gives me alot of peace of mind. I look after my gear but believe me,they are well played.

Roland RD700NX, Korg SV1 88.

Thank God for the gift of Music
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
In a word ...the MP10 for your purposes.
The FP7F isn't a stage piano BTW.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Dr Popper

I don't know that every model of every manufacturer has to neatly fall into a pre-defined category, but what disqualifies the FP7F as a stage piano? And what category of digital piano would you say that it is instead?

C
C
The FP7F is shown on the Stage Piano page on the Roland site, as is the FP4F

Yamaha YC88, Kawai CA93, Yamaha MODX8, EV ZXA1
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by anotherscott

I don't know that every model of every manufacturer has to neatly fall into a pre-defined category, but what disqualifies the FP7F as a stage piano? And what category of digital piano would you say that it is instead?

Its a portable console piano like the P155 Yamaha its not designed for the touring musician. It's got built in speakers and a host of features geared towards the home user.
A stage piano is a stage piano ...designed for the stage foremost.
If you want real portability then a RD300NX or RD700NX is a better option.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Its a portable console piano like the P155 Yamaha its not designed for the touring musician. It's got built in speakers and a host of features geared towards the home user.

A "portable console" sounds like a contradiction in terms to me!

You don't have to use the speakers. (Though the vibrations do make playing it feel more "real.")

BTW, the Yamaha CP300 is a classic stage piano... and it's got speakers.

If you want real portability then a RD300NX or RD700NX is a better option.

The RD700NX weighs a couple of pounds more than the FP7F. If all you need to do is play piano in a live setting, I don't think it offers any advantage over the FP7F (and it's way more expensive).

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I tend to agree with anotherscott on this, although the discussion may be a little sterile. You select the instrument to suit your particular needs. The FPs are a kind of hybrid instrument that cross the boundary between stage and home, and work pretty well in either context. The 700NX adds a few extra pro features (such as balanced outs, and controller capabilities), which may or may not be important to you, but essentially does the same job as the FP.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
S
Sumsar Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi guys and thank you for all your replies! It´s very nice to hear all your different opinions...

I´m still in doubt about what to pick, but I´ll just continue thinking about it and at the end of the day; follow my heart ;-)

- Rasmus

S
Sumsar Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi again guys!

I´ve forgot to ask you about something: What do you think about Kawai MP8 II? Is MP10 much better and if so, in which ways?

I look forward to hear from you :-)

Kind regards
Rasmus

D
D
well the mp8 has awa pro action while the mp10 has kawai's new RM3 action.

The mp10 has the newest sound technology while the mp8 has harmonic imaging II. Actually glancing over it kind of looks like the mp8 is more comparable with the 6 then the 10. Was the recent flagship model before the new line, but ive never seen one to try so no idea how the action even feels.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Sumsar, as dewar correctly notes, the MP8II utilises the older 'AWA Grand Pro II' wooden-key action and 'Harmonic Imaging II' sound technology.

The MP10 utilises the newer 'RM3 Grand' wooden-key action, with additional improvements such as 'Ivory Touch' key surfaces, let-off simulation. and centred black/white key balance points. the MP10 also utilises the vastly improved 'Ultra Progressive Harmonic Imaging' (UPHI) sound technology, with 88-key sampling, more expressive acoustic pianos, brand new EPs, amp simulator, etc.

Whereas the MP6 was a nice upgrade to the MP5, the MP10 is almost like a completely different instrument when compared to the MP8II.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
Sumsar Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Does the action on MP8 II feel heavier or lighter than the action on MP10?

And do you think that MP8 II is a great stage piano even though it's old and has discontinued?

:-)

- Rasmus

Does the action on MP8 II feel heavier or lighter than the action on MP10?

I'm sorry, I do not remember.

And do you think that MP8 II is a great stage piano even though it's old and has discontinued?

Yes, I believe it's still a very good stage piano, however the main piano sounds are dated compared to modern instruments. If you were to use the MP8II as a controller for a software piano (check the Ivory clips from NAMM on YouTube...), I believe you have the potential for an excellent setup.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission