2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1678319 05/15/11 05:08 PM
S
saosao Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello!

I will be taking piano lessons in June and looking to buy a piano. However, I am very confused at this point and have no clues what would be a good choice and what would be a good buy. I am thinking of something a beginner can use and then when I am better, I would get a nicer and more expensive piece. I have been looking at Houston craig's list, but I do not know which one is suitable and has a fair price.

Any helps from you would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks -
SS

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
People can give you specific guidance if you give them a price point you're looking to be under.

S
saosao Offline OP
OP Offline
S
OK! Is under $1,500 OK? Thanks!

Hi, I hope this information will be helpful.
First, lots of people give away or practically give away piano's because it's hard to move them properly and/or expensive to have them moved. Piano's must not be laid on their side or back. They should remain upright during the move. It will need to be tuned once you get it set in place.
Let me also say, I'm not an expert. I have been playing the piano for almost ten years. I've owned an upright and digital keyboard.
You can read some " Things To Consider Keyboard " on my site. I also review a digital piano if that is the way you are leaning. Either way the information is still useful.

Let me also say that if you are spending $1,500, you should be able to find a wonderful piano, if you shop around, that will be great for years to come. Try placing a want ad on freecycle or craigslist.
Happy musical journey
Piano Lesson Girl

My newest page is: www.pianolessongirl.net/top-ten-motivational-inspirational-songs-ever/
I am creating my own piano lesson system that I hope will be 'cutting edge':)
Enjoy the travels on your musical journey.
~Piano Lesson Girl,
Dakota
S
saosao Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks! In the last few days, I was looking at two of them: one was Fisher & Son console model FV108 - brand new. The original price was around $3,700, but there was a promotion and it went down to $2,699. This promotion ended, but possibly I could still get this price.

The second one was Cable & Nelson Studio upright that was made by Yamaha. This is a floor model that will come with 10-year warranty like a new one. It went down to $3500 from $5000. The model for this one is CN116. We are leaning to the second one, but I am wondering whether they are offerred at a reasonable price.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks!
SS

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Click on the Piano Buyer ad on the left side of this page. Read the basic pianos articles as well as the one on buying a used piano.

That should give you a great deal of good, relatively objective information.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

Hi, I agree with Steve, those articles are excellent source of helpful information.
It seems that you want an upright piano. Excellent!
Research the manufacturers. If you go to a 'store' they will try to 'sell' you what they have.
It's my understanding that you are just starting out. When my mom and sister were just beginning to learn, my parents bought an old "Gulbransen" at a thrift store for $80. Paid a neighbor with a pickup truck and the four men carried it into the house.
Fifteen years have passed, excellent piano.
The man who taught my sister and still teaches me, he has perfect pitch, has played for about 70 years and just retired from 'public' performances this past year. He plays on, teaches with a Gulbransen Grand piano. My point to this story is, a great piano does not have to come with a warranty and a hefty price tag. If you continue learning and want to invest in a more expensive piano, than do so. But my advice which you can take or leave, I'm a bit too practical for some peoples tastes, Is to find a used piano, have it tuned and learn to play. Enjoy the experience and then, invest.
P.S. I recommend a keyboard for my new students. I don't want my students parents to invest in something that ends up being a piece of unused furniture. I'm just saying. smirk

My newest page is: www.pianolessongirl.net/top-ten-motivational-inspirational-songs-ever/
I am creating my own piano lesson system that I hope will be 'cutting edge':)
Enjoy the travels on your musical journey.
~Piano Lesson Girl,
Dakota
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
A used acoustic piano fares best against depreciation should you sell it in the future vs. a new acoustic or new digital piano. If you buy a $1500 used piano like an older Baldwin Hamilton or Young Chang, you could still sell it for almost as much 5 years later. We're all enthusiasts here and would be more than happy to encourage you to blow your budget and buy a new baby grand; but yea we've been in your shoes before and most people do start with a 20+yr-old piano (usually an old console cry and not even a nice 45" studio upright).

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission