2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1676621 05/12/11 10:38 PM
S
splenda Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Right now I'm going over Cooke's Mastering Scales and Arpeggios, as well as Alfred's book of scales chords arpeggios etc.

Is it boring to play scales and chords over and over again? slightly. Will it pay off? I don't doubt it.

Is there something else I should be looking into? Music theory seems to be pretty important and relevant to learning piano.

Also, is there a good book to run through for me to teach myself piano in general?

I've played saxophone for seven years, so I'm relatively versed with music. I'm rather poor at reading bass cleff, so I'm working on that.

On a completely unrelated note.

Chord: G F# B how possible :| my left hand can't stretch this far. Octave and a third, with 2 on F#? No thanks.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Splenda , on your chord, its a Gmajor7 you could try the F# below the G (immediately to the left) the G and B above it. Or an inversion say B the F# above and G directly above that...

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
S
splenda Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Doesn't sound as good, but I guess it'll have to do because my hands aren't huge.

Go to your local music store; they would most likely have a section of graded piano theory books that you can choose.

If not, you can go to the sheetmusicplus website. They have a ton of good stuff, all with just a quick search. Try 'piano theory' or something similar.

As for the chord, yes it's big, but you can make it into a quick arpeggio. Just play the notes quickly from bottom to top, moving your arm to the right. It might take some practice, but you'll probably find a lot of this kind of thing in many pieces.

~The piano is an orchestra with 88... things, you know! ~V. Horowitz
S
splenda Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Quick arpeggios seems to be the solution to every big chord problem, haha.

Will check at local music store for graded piano theory books I guess. Thanks!

A
A
Try taking a look at a college text on theory. There are many out there both used and new. If you are really interested in how music works, you will be both overwhelmed (like myself) and fascinated as well, no matter what instrument you're working on.

[Linked Image]
D
dlr Offline
D
The Fundamentals of Piano Theory books are excellent. They're by Keith Snell and Martha Ashleigh, published by Neil A Kjos Music Company. They're available in grades 1-11. I have my college textbooks on theory. I do think that a graded series may feel more attainable, because you finish a book and move on to the next, and you have a series of lights at the end of tunnels smile

Working on theory is really a great idea for any pianist. When you're having trouble with a piece, being able to analyze it can be very helpful.

Denise

Take my hand, let me stand where no one stands alone

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
This theory package gets good reviews around here also. Because it's for self-learning, it gives you the answers to check your work.
http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Essentials-Music-Theory-Self-Study/dp/0739036351/

I very much enjoy working from my college-level theory and harmony texts -- there are lots of challenging exercises (good) but with no answer keys (frustrating).

But I'd STRONGLY recommend doing a basic theory course like the one above before diving into college-level textbooks.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Is it boring to play scales and chords over and over again? slightly. Will it pay off? I don't doubt it.

I find the best way to avoid boredom working on technique is to do exercises like scales only in conjunction with songs or pieces you are working on. For instances if you're working on a piece that incorporates phrases you're having trouble with, isolate the scale or scales involved and practice them or find an exercise you can practice with a jump and/or intervals similar to what you need to smooth out. Or say you practice 7ths around the circle of 5ths or in chromatic steps, immediately try to use them in songs or pieces with a lot of 7th chords.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 05/14/11 05:20 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tangleweeds
This theory package gets good reviews around here also. Because it's for self-learning, it gives you the answers to check your work.
http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Essentials-Music-Theory-Self-Study/dp/0739036351/

I very much enjoy working from my college-level theory and harmony texts -- there are lots of challenging exercises (good) but with no answer keys (frustrating).

But I'd STRONGLY recommend doing a basic theory course like the one above before diving into college-level textbooks.

i was lookng into getting that alfreds book. too much idle time and dragging my slow behind throught alfred book 2. the music is so boring and easy too i cant wait to get it done.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
...and the best books for helping you to find songs to apply to exercises you could be working on I've found are in books on how to use fake books. Ann Collins, for example, has a list of songs from the Ultimate Fakebook to apply every embellishment and trick she teaches. But they all do this to the extent that the song examples in the book let you apply what you learn in their exercises and examples.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 05/14/11 05:34 PM.
D
D
Originally Posted by splenda

On a completely unrelated note.

Chord: G F# B how possible :| my left hand can't stretch this far. Octave and a third, with 2 on F#? No thanks.

Sounds like you are cooking a Gmaj7 chord over there. It depends of course on the musical context but in most cases when you have such a big stretch and you can't physically make it you can just break it into two parts and make it work rhythmically. in this case I'll play the G first and the F# & B following right after.

good luck

Dror Perl. Pianist, Composer, Teacher.

http://www.sheerpiano.com/

Sheer Piano: The First Full Color Piano Music Books

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission