2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (adamcz, Alan F, 36251, Bruce In Philly, anotherscott, c++, accordeur, 13 invisible), 1,538 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1675343 05/10/11 10:59 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
been reading music. for me id say a little over a year steadily almost everyday. i started like beginning of 2010. also, i was just thinking thats why its taking so long to learn how to read it quicker and sightread. as a kid growing up when i was learning to read after 1 year i probly could read 2 words lol. just a thought to share if you can decipher what i'm trying to say.

Last edited by joeb84; 05/10/11 11:00 PM.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I think reading music is harder than text. (1) less dense (2) twodimensional notation

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
I think reading music is harder than text. (1) less dense (2) twodimensional notation

yes it is. very.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
M
M
I think it's harder, of course, because I was reading around 4 or 5, and I've only been reading music since I was 55.
But with reading text you can translate it instantly into meaning in your head--no physical actions necessary. Unless you're REALLY REALLY GOOD, though, you don't do that with music. You read with your eyes and brain and then instantly have to translate everything you read into some corresponding physical motions, some of them quite complex.
I think it might equate to reading a passage from Shakespeare and simultaneously turning it into American Sign Language. No wonder we get frustrated.

I'm getting there--note by note.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michael Steen
I think it's harder, of course, because I was reading around 4 or 5, and I've only been reading music since I was 55.
But with reading text you can translate it instantly into meaning in your head--no physical actions necessary. Unless you're REALLY REALLY GOOD, though, you don't do that with music. You read with your eyes and brain and then instantly have to translate everything you read into some corresponding physical motions, some of them quite complex.
I think it might equate to reading a passage from Shakespeare and simultaneously turning it into American Sign Language. No wonder we get frustrated.

What about reading out loud (text that is)? How complex is the physical requirement of speech?

When translating the notes on the page to the hands on the keys becomes as automatic as saying what's on your mind, you will have arrived.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Michael Steen

I think that's spot on. I can generally comprehend printed notes as quickly as I can read English text (OK, a clump of three notes with different accidental an inch off the stave slows me down, but you know what I mean), but translating that mental comprehension into physical action is hugely more difficult.

When I started learning to play at sight -- and it's not that long ago, because I've been a life-long ear player and improviser -- I always thought that note comprehension was going to be the problem. After all, I already had the mechanical aspects sorted out. Or so I thought.

Turns out I was wrong. I just can't do fingering calculations and move my hands anywhere near as fast as I can read the dots.

M
M
Originally Posted by Studio Joe
What about reading out loud (text that is)? How complex is the physical requirement of speech?

When translating the notes on the page to the hands on the keys becomes as automatic as saying what's on your mind, you will have arrived.

Don't get me wrong. The complexities of speech are astounding, with the rapid and coordinated movements of the tongue and lips doing constant acrobatics. BUT those are micromovements compared to the hands and wrists, AND we've been doing them since infancy. The patterns are indelibly ingrained.

I think that, for most of us, reading and playing music fluently and rapidly might be akin to learning to read Russian aloud fluidly and rapidly--forget about even understanding it. The symbols and alphabet are tremendously different; the pronunciations are alien to us, and our tongues and lips have never learned to construct those sounds in that order.

As for translating the notes on the page to the hands on the keys as rapidly as saying what's on my mind? Build me a time machine so I can go back to 1956 and start from there. smile

M
M
I don't find reading the music sheets as difficult as getting my hands to move as fast as I can read it.
When I first started I thought that reading the sheets was going to be hard but I find that moving my hands to different positions on the piano the difficult part, I can't play by ear yet. I hope I can develope that in yrs to come but I just don't have that natural gift.
When I read the music sheets though, I can't hear in my head what the piece will sound like, can you?

"Music is what feeling's sound like"

Adult Piano Adventures (The F.J.H Music Company)
RCM Prepatory
RCM Grade 1
RCM Grade 2 (working on)

RCM Theory
Hanon
M
M
Originally Posted by Mozart79
When I read the music sheets though, I can't hear in my head what the piece will sound like, can you?

Not a chance! When I read music, the best I can do is see that the pitch goes up or down. I have absolutely no ear for "hearing" it in my head.
In fact, I suffer from being totally unable to hit a correct note when I sing, except by accident. Though I can instantly hear whether I've hit the wrong note on the piano (or even one wrong note in a chord), I simply cannot hear what notes come out of my own mouth.
I can hear a tune in my head perfectly, but if I try to sing it, it's nowhere near what I thought it was going to be. I've tried to repair this defect over the years, but my piano teacher says it's virtually a genetic condition, and I'd be wise to let someone else sing to my accompaniment. I think she's right!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Selling Hammond D100 (think B3) Organ & Leslie HL722!
---------------------
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin L vs. Steinway A
by noyes - 10/26/21 06:08 PM
New Steinway O- Yeti Revelation Scoring Grand
by newer player - 10/26/21 01:54 PM
Difficulty Adjusting to a lighter weight piano
by CoffeeTea21 - 10/26/21 12:57 PM
Non-creaky beginner piano setup?
by cai.linn - 10/26/21 12:56 PM
Upright Dampers - thin wood backing
by jkess114 - 10/26/21 12:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,756
Posts3,142,225
Members103,122
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission