2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1675637 05/11/11 01:40 PM
S
sparx Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I live in Northern Ireland and am looking for a Hammond B2/3 or C3 for my church. I noticed a couple of sellers on Ebay selling a range of Hammond Bs and Cs with a Leslie or Hammond tone cabinet. The prices they are offering are considerably lower than some other retailers - should I be concerned about that? Has the digital instrument had that big a knock on with the vintage models?

As well as this, I heard or read somewhere that vacuum tubes are no longer being made - is this true? Is there anything that I should be checking with the seller should I decide to order from USA (besides the shipping charges and voltage conversion)?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Tubes are still being made, so don't worry about that. I am far more confident that the old tonewheel Hammonds will be operable and fixable for a long time to come. Longer, in fact, than the modern organs currently being manufactured. I have already run into organs 10 years old with parts no longer available. This is because of the specialized chips. Many of these are proprietary and once the model is no longer produced the manufacturer stops supporting it after 5 - 10 years. Yet I can get anything I want for a 50 year old Hammond B/C/R/M.

You will find all kinds of prices on the ones you're considering. A low price might be someone in financial distress. There are also people selling those models for ridiculously high prices on eBay. For what you will spend to ship the organ, you want to buy from a seller who will be willing to stand behind what he sells. Also, an organ with a leslie is far more valuable than an organ with a tone cabinet. You will be happier with a leslie.

Ken Knapp

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
W
W
Sparx - I keep an eye on Ebay and have been noticing prices coming down on Hammonds...this may be a natural result of a still sluggish US economy. My advice and I hope this doesn't sound pedantic:

The A-100 series (A-101, 105, 122, etc.)tend to be much better buys on Ebay than B3 or C3s and are identical mechanically, the only difference being that they have built-in amp/speakers and reberb (which IMHO is an advantage). B3s tend to be inflated in price due to the hype and mystique around the famous players. The main thing to keep in mind buying a 50 year old piece of electronics, is no matter how 'over-designed' it was in 1950, it has probably has 50+ year old electronic and mechanical parts will definitely need replacement or maintenance (capacitors, tubes, switches, pots, transformer, and even wiring harnesses). You referred to the 'tubes' (or valves) and yes I agree with Ken replacing them will be the least of your maintenance problems since several companies in China, Russia and elsewhere still manufacture them. There are several companies that also make replacement solid state electronics for these organs (notably Trek II) which may be a more practical alternative for a church who does not want the maintenance issues with maintaining old vacuum tube electronics. Keep in mind the main 'engine' of the Hammond tonewheel organs is a spinning tone generator that requires regular oiling and maintenance. I recently started one that had not been running for approx. 15 years - after oiling and hand turning it 20 or so times it came squeeking to life however I might not have been so lucky and found it useless. Ken's comments about replacement of parts on electronic clone organs may be well taken - it is true that many of parts for Hammond A-B-C-R-M series organs will probably always be available in our lifetime (although some are not)....by contrast my Korg BX3 clone that I use for gigging has already been discontinued and I fear if I have to ever order electronic parts). Regarding the new electronic B3s the reviews are very flattering however the relative cost factor (£15,000 or us$21,000) is probably more significant consideration than the parts/service life. For a church there may be definite advantages to having program and MIDI features since you probably won't just be playing blues and jazz on it like me.

Finally the leslie is a primary component of that sound you probably crave and I agree with Ken's comment about getting a leslie. A vintage tone cabinet however may not be a waste and can be used in conjunction with a leslie. Alternatively I would consider not going 'vintage' with the leslie speaker and looking at Hammond-Suzuki's 122a,b or 3300 models which are more powerful and dependable than the original (now 50 year old) Leslies. Depending on the organ you may need an intermediate hookup part but not rare or expensive. There are other manufacturers making 'rotating speakers' including Motion Sound and Speakeasy who make improved replicas....they generally have better speakers, amps, cabinets and horn drivers than the old ones unless refurbished. Good luck....take your time since there where 100s of 1000s of these organs built so they are not on an endangered species list quite yet!

Hope this helps,

Wil

William Steward, MPT

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission