2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
59 members (c++, Dave Horne, CyberGene, Beowulf, Catlady, brennbaer, Chenliang Lai, 36251, barbaram, 8 invisible), 626 guests, and 534 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lang Lang
Amant #1674578 05/09/11 07:02 PM
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
lang lang is overrated. there are so many other musicians out there that have the same passion, determination and stamina that he has, and some more-so. why he gets dvd's and endorsement offers is a mystery to me.

Amant #1674598 05/09/11 07:23 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Do or do not. There is no try.
Amant #1674709 05/09/11 10:12 PM
T
T
he get's dvd deals and endorsements because there's always some company or organization sucking up to China for money or trade deals for their cheap child and slave labor and doing business with Lang Lang or any other Chinese national is in their mind is just good politics to get what they want.

as my wiseguy uncle told me before he died, "Always follow the money."

he also so said, "Leave the gun, take the canolis." but that I was just a kid.

Charles Walter Model W (190)

“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” J.S. Bach

"I just want to know, if we came from monkeys and apes, WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS AND APES?" George Carlin
Frozenicicles #1674724 05/09/11 10:48 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I always wonder, if Glenn Gould had never achieved the fame he did, then would performers like Lang Lang, Hewitt, etc. really use such overt expressions?

For my part, the expressions on most performers seem rehearsed. They just instantly seem to "turn on" at the very first note, it just makes it hard for me to believe anything profound is actually occurring. Gould is the only exception, and I only make an exception for him because 1) he was really the first pianist to do odd things at the piano, 2) he hated performing in front of an audience which means he wasn't doing it to "appear" emotionally profound, and 3) he was genuinely weird.

polyphasicpianist #1674735 05/09/11 11:05 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by polyphasicpianist
I always wonder, if Glenn Gould had never achieved the fame he did, then would performers like Lang Lang, Hewitt, etc. really use such overt expressions?

For my part, the expressions on most performers seem rehearsed. They just instantly seem to "turn on" at the very first note, it just makes it hard for me to believe anything profound is actually occurring. Gould is the only exception, and I only make an exception for him because 1) he was really the first pianist to do odd things at the piano, 2) he hated performing in front of an audience which means he wasn't doing it to "appear" emotionally profound, and 3) he was genuinely weird.

Gould was a genius.

Andromaque #1674776 05/10/11 12:32 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Good ol' TJ.. May I translate the above from refined Dutch to barbaric English: "Bad Bad Americans!"

If you want to "play the man" and make things personal while revealing your personal bias by projection rather than stick to an objective discussion of facts, then you can translate in this way or any other way.

However, that would mean that you are unfairly and incorrectly putting words in my mouth and that you have not been carefully observing the dynamics on the numerous "Let's try to make ourselves feel better by tearing Lang Lang down" threads over the years. Dispassionate observation is the first step towards (self)understanding.

One the most salient points which Lang Lang has in common with Uchida and the degree to which Uchida is lumped in with Lang Lang on this thread further strengthens the evidence for my empirical model which can predict where those posters will come from who will tend to be inclined to want to vocally tear them down.

theJourney #1674790 05/10/11 01:41 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney
Good ol' TJ.. May I translate the above from refined Dutch to barbaric English: "Bad Bad Americans!"

If you want to "play the man" and make things personal while revealing your personal bias by projection rather than stick to an objective discussion of facts, then you can translate in this way or any other way.

However, that would mean that you are unfairly and incorrectly putting words in my mouth and that you have not been carefully observing the dynamics on the numerous "Let's try to make ourselves feel better by tearing Lang Lang down" threads over the years. Dispassionate observation is the first step towards (self)understanding.

One the most salient points which Lang Lang has in common with Uchida and the degree to which Uchida is lumped in with Lang Lang on this thread further strengthens the evidence for my empirical model which can predict where those posters will come from who will tend to be inclined to want to vocally tear them down.

I happen to be satisfied with my gorgeous feminine self and never feel a need to "play the man". But I do admit that this expression would benefit from translation.

If you are going to insist on a "model", empirical as it is, you ought to clarify! Otherwise you leave yourself open to "mistranslation". I can see how geography could land LL and Uchida in the same bin, but I am not so clear about their detractors. You surely must feel the urgency of a need for an explanation of your claims, lest we go looking for it in your previous posts!

Andromaque #1674822 05/10/11 03:24 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I happen to be satisfied with my gorgeous feminine self and never feel a need to "play the man". But I do admit that this expression would benefit from translation.

"Play the ball not the man"

We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.

The "ball" is the personal view and the "man" is the human being with the opposing view. The phrase is from the world of soccer. In soccer as in civilized discourse it is more respected to kick the ball rather than to kick the player.

If you are going to insist on a "model", empirical as it is, you ought to clarify! Otherwise you leave yourself open to "mistranslation". I can see how geography could land LL and Uchida in the same bin, but I am not so clear about their detractors. You surely must feel the urgency of a need for an explanation of your claims, lest we go looking for it in your previous posts!

If you want to be sure of something, the first step is to start paying attention.

Anyone can do as I have done and closely observe behavior. By observing where certain comments are coming from on certain threads, one can recognize patterns. Based on these past observations and patterns, one may make hypotheses about where future comments will come from and by observing these new cases, validate the hypothesis.

Actually, what Lang Lang and Uchida have in common that is relevant to this thread focusing on people's critique of performing artists' physical appearances is physical appearance.

Much of our visceral reactions to others takes place below the level of consciousness. We experience negative feelings and associations inside of us which we identify as representing objective reality for which we then create a narrative to explain them to ourselves.

Amant #1674830 05/10/11 03:55 AM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
We should all get a life and stop worrying about other pianists' facial expressions. Artur Rubinstein famously criticized pianists who gaze up at the roof in rapt contemplation, saying 'What are they admiring, a fly on the ceiling perhaps? But they look down again as soon as the going gets tough!' Then watch video footage of his performances, and see him doing exactly what he citicizes others for...... laugh

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Amant #1674840 05/10/11 04:29 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well TJ, my ignorance about soccer non-withstanding, you are engaged in some massive beating around the bush. Your response reads like some copy-paste job about empiricism. You need to "man up", to use your lingo, and state that hypothesis of yours, rather than giving a discourse about how to derive it.

On a sad note, I can't believe that I am engaging in this Sisyphean discussion with you, in the wee hours of the morning, about none other than LL, an artist that I am "geographically" and viscerally incapable of appreciating..

bennevis #1674916 05/10/11 07:56 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by bennevis
We should all get a life and stop worrying about other pianists' facial expressions. Artur Rubinstein famously criticized pianists who gaze up at the roof in rapt contemplation, saying 'What are they admiring, a fly on the ceiling perhaps? But they look down again as soon as the going gets tough!' Then watch video footage of his performances, and see him doing exactly what he citicizes others for...... laugh

lol

bennevis #1675132 05/10/11 02:07 PM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Artur Rubinstein famously criticized pianists who gaze up at the roof in rapt contemplation, saying 'What are they admiring, a fly on the ceiling perhaps?

Rubinstein should have seen Andras Schiff. He is not one of my favourite pianists -so I'm not inclined to see him in recital- but I well recall a Brahms D minor in London some years back. There was more gazing at the ceiling than I ever thought possible.

Schiff also projected disconcerting condescension for his audience, but maybe that was just my take. I never seen him live since...

Jason
Amant #1675139 05/10/11 02:26 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

People often look upwards when accessing information from their brain.

Looking up
When a person looks upwards they are often thinking. In particular they are probably making pictures in their head and thus may well be an indicator of a visual thinker.
When they are delivering a speech or presentation, looking up may be their recalling their prepared words.
Looking upwards and to the left can indicate recalling a memory. Looking upwards and the right can indicate imaginative construction of a picture (which can hence betray a liar). Be careful with this: sometimes the directions are reversed -- if in doubt, test the person by asking them to recall known facts or imagine something.

Source:

http://changingminds.org/techniques/body/parts_body_language/eyes_body_language.htm

Actors are taught to do that as part of their skill set. Artists and cartoonists use that pose (among others) for someone thinking.

Piano teacher.
bennevis #1675178 05/10/11 03:42 PM
But they look down again as soon as the going gets tough!' laugh

great line

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Grey areas with Pedal use?
by Visalia - 01/16/21 07:56 AM
Plastic Birds
by YakovB - 01/16/21 07:36 AM
Fingerings for Visual Expression
by IntermedPianist - 01/16/21 06:35 AM
Efficient Arpeggio Playing, tips & tricks
by Denis Zhdanov - 01/16/21 03:58 AM
Yamaha or Rolan Or William rhapsody
by Belma - 01/15/21 11:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,284
Posts3,047,215
Members100,077
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission