2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,303 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
#1673885 05/08/11 07:27 PM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
My taste in music that I love spans many decades and many genres.. I bet some folk would be stunned at some of the music I love..
However, when it comes to jazz, I balk, grow cold and want to have that same injection that my dog had for his very "final" injection.
My brain just seems to reject music that has, what seems to me to be no melody.
I am led to understand it's all very refined and clever, and has great technical merit.
But I still cannot fathom the point in that when you cannot leave humming a tune.
I suppose I am just an old romantic for melodic content.
Or is there a problem with my brain?

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Maybe you have a preference for a certain style or era of jazz and not so much for another style or era. It has evolved over the years since Ragtime and Blues, so it has a wide variety of contributors to its evolution, which as well, contributes to its very broad definition. Variety does have a certain spice to it. I find that appealing.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It seems to me like you've answered your own question.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Glen, are songs like "midnight in moscow" and "tiger rag" jazz? because I do like them.. Thing is I can hum them straight off now if asked... It's the stuff that seems to be like everyone speaking at once without saying anything!
I am fully prepared to except its a problem with my brain, because loads of very musical and sensible folk do like jazz.
I must be missing something, I just dont get it. doh.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
The two tunes you mentioned are examples of what would be considered older forms of jazz with a heavier blues influence. Perhaps you like some of the old standards (songs, show tunes) where the melodies are defined and as well the lyrics. Bebop and cooler forms of jazz evolved from that and became more abstract for some folks, but not for others. You have lots of choices to find something you like or not.

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Ahh I think you may have just hit the nail on the head with one word there "abstract"
I am really trying to understand my shortcomings in this genre.
Oh no, just had second thoughts on the abstract part..
some folk thought The velvet underground were abstract and Tangerine dream., yet I didn't and don't.
This is hard, can it be that my brain has a short and hears modern jazz as too abstract a concept?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You don't like jazz? Here, try this on...

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
There is nothing wrong with your brain, you just don't like that kind if jazz. It's a personal taste thing. I like it but there's no reason for everyone to like it. Don't try to analyze it why you don't, you just don't.

I can't stand Bach or Mozart, they bore me and I can't listen to them long. I get ridiculed for that by people who think everyone has to like the same things they do. Absurd!

Nope, you're just fine, there's LOTS of music to listen to. Just listen to what you like.

It's all good.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Jazzyprof...
I listened to the Nat king cole, if thats "jazz" then it isn't the sort of jazz I meant...
When I fall in love had a nice melodic line, and the backing was restrained to a memorable rythmic plucking sort of sound, almost like a glen miller band on a valium day.. nice.
The sort of "jazz" I meant is the hectic -not - going - home humming - any - melody type...

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member
Interesting conversation!!

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
I am fully prepared to except its a problem with my brain, because loads of very musical and sensible folk do like jazz.
I must be missing something, I just dont get it. doh.

Oh, but I somehow suspect that you do get it...and you're just trying to "pull our chains" to get a lively and perhaps heated discussion going just to break the all-pervasive boredom that some are claiming has settled in like a wet blanket over the Forums lately...Nah, you wouldn't do that...or would you?

But on the small chance that you're serious then you can be cured of your affliction by listening to the works of the contemorary (or smooth) jazz group Fourplay - especially when they play their signature piece "Foreplay" laugh

Trap

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Roger Ransom
I can't stand Bach or Mozart, they bore me and I can't listen to them long.

Bach I can almost understand - but the only people who say they don't like Mozart are those who have never heard Mozart...

Trap

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
G
G
Rostosky - I know EXACTLY what you mean. I love and enjoy listening to a very wide variety of music - from Mozart, Beethoven, Liszt and Chopin to Scott Joplin to Muddy Waters to Metallica and Slipknot and Spineshank. I can appreciate the beauty in an even larger body of music (like country and bluegrass and modern pop) even if I don't particularly enjoy listening to it.

But modern jazz.....I just don't get it. The abstract, dischordant, spontaneous stuff that follows no perceivable pattern. The stuff that is played live in bars full of silent Frenchmen smoking long cigarettes and wearing scarfs in the summer and sunglasses at night. The stuff that sounds like each band member is just tooting out a note once in a while to make his presence known. That stuff.

I'm with ya, bro. I don't get it either.

Last edited by gahdzila; 05/08/11 08:57 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
TrapperJohn....
I am being deadly serious, and am not pulling chains..absolutely not..... I am not bored either...
Look here is a link to the sort of jazz i mean, I just went to Youtube and found it, It has nothing to do with the group of musicians who are playing it...it could be anybody (and often is)
This is the sort of thing that I hear in supermarket isles and on films when there is 1970's cocktail party .
I am just trying to get an angle on what must be happening in my mind when i accidentally hear it...
for example, if you gave me a free ticket to a concert that featured this sort of music, I would happily pay £25.00 for someone to take the ticket off me.
Thats how much it actually "jars" in my brain.
The experimental music of tangerine dream and pink floyd as well as the velvet underground never had that effect upon me.
I have never heard Eric Saties vexations in their full "repeat 800 times" entirety, but I would rather than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HN3nS5rUNs

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Once upon a time I thought I didn't like jazz. But then someone gave me Bill Evans' Waltz for Debbie, and Miles Davis Kind of Blue.

There's all kinds of jazz, just like there's all kinds of "classical". Some of it I like, some of it I don't. I don't, for instance, gasp, "get" Coltrane. Yikes! But the 4-year-old daughter of a poster on another forum I'm in, when asked what she wanted to hear as background music for breakfast, tossed her hair and said, "how about a little Coltrane." We're all different, I guess laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
The statements you make about jazz applies to any genre of music that's been around for awhile. Some Rock and Roll over its lifespan is pretty lousy, some is great. Same with Metal, same with, Blues, same with Country, same with "classical", etc.

You are not required to understand or even like every form of jazz, classical, rock, blues, country, blue grass. They all have their ups and downs over their lifespan.

Certainly, you are entitled to your opinion and if you are open to learning about more abstract forms, how it is constructed, etc, then you would have a more informed opinion. It matters not, really - whatever you like is fine and what you don't like you can, <<Click --->Next

Maybe you meant to say you "hate some specific aspects/genres of jazz". Hate all of it? I think you don't.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Thats how much it actually "jars" in my brain.
The experimental music of tangerine dream and pink floyd as well as the velvet underground never had that effect upon me.
I have never heard Eric Saties vexations in their full "repeat 800 times" entirety, but I would rather than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HN3nS5rUNs

<snort> Now see, I liked that laugh

Guess there's no accounting for taste, said the old lady as she kissed a cow. . .

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
gahdzila... YES, thats it, thats what I meant that stuff...
Like six people all talking at once, out loud different stories at different speeds .
My brain warns me if I dont get it out of earshot it WILL grow a tumour.
I was trying to understand why, like you my musical apreciation spans many genres, The only thing that bores me (apart from the "J" word)is if I am at someones house and they have "every record" that blah did, or blah band and nothing else.
If they have Liszt,siouxsie and the banshees,fairport convention,Lou read, beethoven, Be-bop-deluxe, Tchaikovsky, Amy whinehouse even... amongst many others, then I am interested,because they have a diverse love of music, and not a restricted one.
At least my brain is in a minority of two now! lol.

But I wish I understood whats missing in my brain that other folk have working in theirs.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I

But I wish I understood whats missing in my brain that other folk have working in theirs.

That sums it up. You're not alone with that one. Join the human race, as it were. wink

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Oh, and jazzprof, that Nat Kind Cole was the tops.

Cathy

Cathy
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission