2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
R
[CA93 vs CA63]
Originally Posted by TADutchman

Well, there is a big difference (not only because of the soundboard, but also because of the 6 speaker arrangement), but in case people keep the volume very low, the perceived difference is probably small in a noisy music store environment, as the sound signature of the samples is the same. grin wink

Thas an explanation. I agree that at lower volumes the differences get smaller, but still the sound of the 93 is more realistic / fuller IMO at lower levels. For the "main" test we used a setting of half of maximum volume or one step lower. So that was not very loud, but also not really extreme low level :-)

To Dave Ferris: Maybe you also want to test playing a well known recording from a USB stick you bring to the store. That was really enlighting for us. If money is not _that_ much of a concern _and_ the DP should last for the coming years I think the investment to the 93 is worth it. We maybe updating with newer sounds with a small notebook besides the DP, _when_ the improved sounds make a siginificant difference for us. So the keyboard and sound system should already be as good as possible, when that's the plan.

If you own a CP5 why not just put the CP5 to the living room? A nice customized build DP stand and a good set of speakers could be a viable option?

Last edited by rpnfan; 04/29/11 03:08 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Dave,

Thank you for you post - it's interesting to read your thoughts.

Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
The wood keys felt better then the faux wood materiel on the CS3 too.

To clarify, the 'RM3 Grand' action on the CA93/CA63 utilises long wooden keys, while the 'RH' action on the CS3 (and other models, such as the CN Series) utilises plastic keys similar to the Roland and Yamaha actions. Both actions feature 'Ivory Touch' (faux ivory) key surfaces though - perhaps this is what you were referring to?

I'll be making another trip on Saturday with my wife to play again and let her see the choices up close. I'd might wait till he gets in the CS6; he said it might be a few weeks.

Well, if you prefer the sound and action of the CA93/CA63, but your wife prefers the ebony polish CS3, I too would recommend waiting for the CS6. The PDF brochure can be downloaded from the following URL:

http://www.kawai.co.jp/worldwide/support/catalogue.html

Maybe I'm not used to the sound but it just didn't have the same immediate response and clarity as my CP5. I they're guess more mellow and maybe better suited for Classical playing.

I think there may be an element of truth in that - the CP5 is undoubtedly a gigging board, while the Kawais you have played are intended as home instruments. However, that's not to say that the CP5 cannot be used to play classical, or that the Kawais won't also sound terrific playing modern, or jazz, etc.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello Dave,

Thank you for you post - it's interesting to read your thoughts.

The wood keys felt better then the faux wood materiel on the CS3 too.

To clarify, the 'RM3 Grand' action on the CA93/CA63 utilises long wooden keys, while the 'RH' action on the CS3 (and other models, such as the CN Series) utilises plastic keys similar to the Roland and Yamaha actions. Both actions feature 'Ivory Touch' (faux ivory) key surfaces though - perhaps this is what you were referring to?

Hey James. Yeah sorry that's what I meant to say.. smile blush The 63/93 did feel more solid to me in the action sense then the CS3.

The CS6 is a bit taller then the CS3 so I'm assuming it has a more enhanced speaker system then the CS3, but not quite as elaborate as the CA93 ? Thanks James.

Regarding the sound, I think it's a simple thing of me not being quite used to it like I am the Yamaha. I played some of the similar class (to the 63/93) of Clavinovas today, they were more $$$$ and I didn't care for any of them more then the Kawais. The one they had that I liked best was the CLP380; it was in the polished ebony with the NW action like on my CP5. It was really nice, but asking price was 5K, yikes!

Hi rpnfan. I'm not a believer in listening back to midi or usb when choosing an electronic keyboard; the sound and action have to connect to my style of playing while I'm playing... smile

Regarding the cp5, I think I mentioned early on in my post about my wife wanting more of a "piece of furniture" for the asthetics. She doesn't want the "keyboard on a stand" look in the living room. Which is only fair since I have a 20 X 20 studio that houses all my stuff... smile

I think for you getting the 93 was a good call; especially if you plan on hooking up a laptop with software pianos in the future.

The CS6 is a bit taller then the CS3 so I'm assuming it has a more enhanced speaker system then the CS3, but not quite as elaborate as the CA93 ?

Yes, the CS6's speakers are a little larger than those found in the CS3, however the amplifier is considerably more powerful. Actually, the CS6 speaker system is the same as the CA63's, while the CA93's soundboard speaker system is found on the top of the range CS9.

Cheers,
James
x

R
R
Hi Dave,

I'm not a believer in listening back to midi or usb when choosing an electronic keyboard; the sound and action have to connect to my style of playing while I'm playing... smile

Regarding the cp5, I think I mentioned early on in my post about my wife wanting more of a "piece of furniture" for the asthetics.

I understand and agree that playing the DP is most important, but I still think it's a really great addidtional option to play back some well known recordings, because this will help you to hear if the speaker system is likely to be able to benefit from "finetuning" with the virtual technician or TADutchmans layering ideas or even more when playing back external sound sources.

Regarding the CP5 in the living room. I read your wife's opinion, my idea was if it could be an option to build (or let build) a customized stand which will not look like a standard keyboard stand, but will more look like a furniture where the CP 5 seaminglessly integrates and looks fine smile ? The bigger problem might be to find a good place for the speakers when they should not be visible. If I had more experience with DIY speakers I might have thought about such an option for ourselfs. smile

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Well, it's a done deal; I bought the satin black CA93. It will be delivered on Monday or Tuesday.

After playing all three again (93, 63 & CS3 ) , the 93 definitely sounded the least like a "digital keyboard" with its internal speakers. It had a smoother top end and a warmer sound in the middle then the 63 to my ears. Definitely more dough then I wanted to spend but got a great deal from Pierre Julia at "Pierre's Fine Pianos". The credit from Yamaha GT2 helped ease the pain quite a bit.

It will be nice to have a piano, even if it's a digital one, in the house again.
The CA93 looks good and sounds good....

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Congratulations! The CA93 is a great instrument.
Please keep us up to date on how you feel down the road that the new Kawai RM3 digital piano keyboard compares to the near acoustic keyboard of your old Yamaha GT2. And, don't forget to update the prices paid thread!

And, since you are Dave Ferris, please, please post some recordings for us.
From guys like you and another Dave posting here, I would enjoy hearing a recording over reading a post if I could choose.

Indeed, congrats Dave!

Cheers,
James
x

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Thanks James & Journey. Well it came bright and early today at 9 AM sharp.

I spent just under 3 hours strictly on Chopin Etudes and it was quite a workout.
I kept switching between my D in the studio and CA93 in the house every 40 minutes or so to feel the difference; the Kawai action is heavier then my Steinway. My ears are getting more accustomed to the "Kawai sound" then they were at the beginning of the day.

The sound coming from the CA93's internal speakers is disappointing though; it sounds small, maybe futzing with the eq might help.
(And I know what you all are thinking laugh -anything would sound small next to a D ! cry Well I took that into consideration, but I do remember the sound from my older Yamaha GT2 seeming more full; maybe because the speakers were closer to my ears and pointed upward from the dp. )

I don't think it's in the same class, action wise, as my GT2. After Pierre cleaned it up and put in a new sensor board in the Yamaha , it played excellent. Especially for 1995 technology. Actually if I had the chance to buy it back, I would.

Overall the the CA93 is a very good instrument, not in the Avant Grand class of course, but certainly a viable option at a quarter of what the N3 streets for.
So in that sense, it's a bargain. As much as I'd love to have an N3 sitting there, I can't justify spending that kind of big dough on a DP.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your CA93 purchase, Dave. cool

The sound coming from the CA93's internal speakers is disappointing though; it sounds small, maybe futzing with the eq might help.

Please note that the sound is potentially huge, as opposed to small! Therefore, it sounds more like you are underwelmed by the standard factory preset(s) and touch setting, just like many other people (including me). Futzing with the eq only is definitely not sufficient. Hence, you may want to verify optimal placement (besides the soundboard and 'bass port' openings to the front, there are four speakers pointing upward and two speakers to the front) and check out the CA93/CA63 custom presets and reviews in order to find your preferred touch and tone. smile

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...0for%20KAWAI%20CA93/CA6.html#Post1448603

Overall the the CA93 is a very good instrument, not in the Avant Grand class of course, but certainly a viable option at a quarter of what the N3 streets for. So in that sense, it's a bargain.
Agreed, same here. whistle

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
After a few days with the CA93 I've decided it's not for me. If anyone in the immediate LA/ Orange County area is interested in buying at an excellent price, please PM me.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T

Kawai digital pianos don't have a lot of brand recognition and can be much more difficult to sell than to buy, and they are generally not that easy to buy in the first place...Good luck finding a buyer!

I am very interested to know what kind of in-store auditioning really went into your purchase decision...
Why wasn't it apparent that the CA93 wasn't for you already in the store? What was the straw that broke the camel's back after only a few hours in your home?

This forum seems to be full of people who are kicking themselves in the touche for selling their GrandTouch...

Really makes me want to save up for an AvantGrand or at least a U3 Silent.

M
M
Even though the last post was somewhat provocative, I would second it. I am seriously considering getting a Kawai CA-63, but since Kawai has only one retailer in my whole country (and that retailer only sells the older models 91 etc) and the closest retailer I know of is over a thousand kilometers away on the other side of a sea I am trying to find out as much about the piano as I can and then buy it with a 30 day money back guarantee if I am convinced enough in the end. If there was something specific that made you change your mind about the piano in such a short time I would like to know.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Yeah, it was provocative (my friend theJourney)... He's often replying to others that just have complained about Kawai instruments.

I would buy whatever DP is the best fit for the money for me. I won't sell it after a short period, and after 5 years or so it's anyway worth almost nothing... so why bother? But I would recommend to test it if by any means possible. It's an important decision to take, and not every DP is for everyone, we all have different needs and preferences, so don't rely on others (only if you know their preferences and fully trust them). On the other side, if you can really get a 30 day money back guarantee it's a no-brainer...

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
Dave, it's most unfortunate to hear that you've been unable to get on with your CA93.

However, given short time period (less that a week) and what I believe is a strong relationship with the dealer, would it not be possible to simply return the piano for a refund (minus restocking/repacking fee)?

Kind regards,
James
x

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congrats Dave! I'd love to buy a CA93 for a good practice instrument...if only money grew off trees! I've heard nothing but great things about the RM3 Wooden action, and to hear it's heavier than the Steinway D is surprising.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
C
C
Kawai James, do you know where I might try the CA 93 in or around central Connecticut USA?

Yamaha YC88, Kawai CA93, Yamaha MODX8, EV ZXA1
PM sent.

M
M
Originally Posted by Coker
Kawai James, do you know where I might try the CA 93 in or around central Connecticut USA?

I don't know about Connecticut but there is a dealer in West Chester, PA -- Taylor. Although I'm sure there are many more closer to you.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kawai James

However, given short time period (less that a week) and what I believe is a strong relationship with the dealer, would it not be possible to simply return the piano for a refund (minus restocking/repacking fee)?

That's what happened. Rather then risk trying to sell an expensive DP on CL with , as Journey mentioned, a lack of brand recognition in this economy, I opted for "store credit" minus a $200 pickup/restocking fee. This dealer can get, aside from Kawai, Roland and Korg but no Yamaha.

Originally Posted by theJourney

I am very interested to know what kind of in-store auditioning really went into your purchase decision...
Why wasn't it apparent that the CA93 wasn't for you already in the store? What was the straw that broke the camel's back after only a few hours in your home?

This forum seems to be full of people who are kicking themselves in the touche for selling their GrandTouch...

Really makes me want to save up for an AvantGrand or at least a U3 Silent.

Like I said in the other post

In any case, I think any of these models would sound much better in our living room then the store. They all were on low nap industrial carpeting and up against a brick wall.
The 93 was in a small office with a short 3' stucco wall at the base and the rest of the wall to the ceiling was glass; so less then ideal acoustics for sound.

We have a raised foundation and hardwood floors with a fairly high ceiling and old plaster walls. I used to have my Yamaha S6 in there and it sounded like the voice of God !
The GT-2 sounded very good in there too, even with its somewhat funky, outdated speakers.

You know how you really want something to work out (like the Nord Piano ? laugh ) ? I was trying to be optimistic and hope for the best when I got it home. Unfortunately the overall sound & playing experience was just lack luster and uninspiring for me after about 5 hours of playing over two days.
I am kicking myself for selling/trading in the Gran Touch; especially after he refurbished it.
This dealer might try and get a hold of the CA111 for me to check out, but they don't seem to be around in the US and the price is up in air too.

As much as I want "a piano" of some sort in the house I don't know if I could be happy with anything less in the "home dp" category then the Avant Grand. I guess for the time being it'll be a plant there. frown

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission