2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
splenda Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Yamaha P-95 vs P-155

Tried both the P-95 and P-155. P-155 felt like a distinct improvement over the P-95 in terms of key weight. I tested both the built-in speakers, and also brought along a pair of Sennheiser headphones as well.

I’m currently in a position to purchase the P-155 for $900 (10% of Guitar Center coupon)

Privia PX-130 vs Privia PX-330

Wasn’t really a fan of either, to be honest. PX-130 felt a bit too light, and I could say the same about the PX-330. The

Celviano AP 420 vs AP 620

I can purchase this for $850, possibly cheaper. I didn’t get a chance to test this one out. Compare contrast with the feel of the Yamaha P-95/155 series in terms of feel?

Yamaha YDP-161 vs YDP-181

Ideally I want one of these. Definitely outside my price range though.

Is the Yamaha version of a Celviano? I really really like the YDP-181, but it’s a bit too pricey. YDP-161 weighted keys didn’t feel as nice, I guess.

The benefits of getting a YDP or Celviano I guess is that it usually winds up coming with a bench and pedal setup. Of course, the Yamaha P series and Casio CX series are a bit more portable, but I don’t particularly care for that.

I was all ready to buy a P-155, but then the AP 420 caught my eye. That’s the biggest sticking point for me right now. I don’t know how the AP 420 feels compared to the P-155. (I suspect the P-155 would be better) Also, reading the DPBSD Project thread, it would seem that the P-155’s sound is not as good as it’s propped up to be?

Is the actual board of the the YDP series similar/equivalent to the P series, except just with a fancy stand?

I don't want to jump to conclusions too quickly, but I've been reading around and play testing for the past two weeks now. Any sort of input would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: After some more consideration, I think my sticking point is the GHS vs GHE. The biggest need that I have is that GHE, since I felt the difference clearly between the P-95 and P-155.

I'm not in the position to drop $1000+ for the P-155, though I really do want to. Are there any other options to get that kind of "feel"?

Last edited by splenda; 05/01/11 10:19 PM.
P
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
P
Hey Splenda

One thousand seems to be the starting level for most manufacturers as far a real feel and tone. The action at this level is fairly accurate and the sound is good enough to my ear. The sampling get better at 1800 plus. I was not ready to go there just yet. I had a P-85 for a couple of years. The P-95 is basically the same DP. I looked at all the $700 and $800 DP's like the Yamaha portable grands (YPG'd and the DGX's) but I was not satisfied it was enough of an improvement to buy. I was not looking for all the bells and whistles. A DP without all the extra sounds and effects means more money goes into a better sounding grand piano. That's what I was looking for. When I was ready for a $1000 plus purchase I sold my P-85 and went for the Kawai. They are hard to come by but worth a look. The P-155 is a good solid DP albeit sans the bells and whistles assuming you are willing to pay more than you really want to. Otherwise the P-95 will stand up to a few years of practice very well.

I assume you are planning on purchasing at a local Guitar Center which is certainly fine. Before you pull the trigger check out sweetwater.com and Kraftmusic.com. Both are very reputable and BBB.org listed plus authorized dealers for what they carry. Again assuming that sweetwater and Kraft are not in your state you at least save the tax. Both have free shipping on most pianos. I purchased my Kawai from kraft and it was a smooth no hassles transaction.

Hope this helps

Peter

Peter
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'd go with the P155 for $900. That's a killer buy, and I think you'll be happy with the sound and feel for a long time.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by splenda
Yamaha P-95 vs P-155

Tried both the P-95 and P-155. P-155 felt like a distinct improvement over the P-95 in terms of key weight. I tested both the built-in speakers, and also brought along a pair of Sennheiser headphones as well.

The P155 is the lowest priced DP with Yamaha's "GH" keys. Some YDP models have GH and some have GHS. (The Yamaha CP33 has the same keys and price but it's a stage piano, the P155 is better for home practice use) "GH" is their new name for "GHE"

If you are going to buy a Casio, get the PX130. Same key action across the entire line. Some have ivory texture keys or line-out ports or whatever but he under all that the guts are the same. The PX130 is the best value.

D
D
Hi splenda,
Have you considered the Roland FP4?

Now that there is a newer version which is about to ship (the FP4 - F), the remaining FP4's are dropping in price (I got mine a couple of months ago before the FP4-F was announced, and it had already been reduced in price by about $300).

You might want to try one out, and if you like it, wait a bit to see how far the price drops before the unsold FP4's are recalled.

My 'dilemma' was between the P155 and the FP4, and there are things that I like and things I dislike about each.

All the best,
drutgat

"If The Beatles or the '60s had a message it was 'Learn To Swim' - And once you've learnt - Swim".
John Lennon
S
splenda Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for all of the opinions and comments, everyone!

After much debate, I decided that I liked the feel of the GH on the Yamaha P-155 too much to pass it up.

[Linked Image]

Currently trying to find my old piano stand, but for the moment it's placed on a low IKEA table.

Didn't even know it came with the FC4 pedal, but I bought a FC3 for good measure since that one allows for half-pedaling.

Alright, it's time to start playing scales and arpeggios over and over again!

P
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
P
Congratulations. It is a fine DP and I am sure you will be pleased.

have fun

Peter

Peter
Enjoy it.. it's a beauty! smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congrats!

Make sure you also invest in a decent stand and a good quality set of headphones - it will make a world of difference to your playing!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congrats splenda! The P155 is a great DP. I recently played a P155 for a couple minutes and loved the action. Good buy and enjoy it!

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C

Currently trying to find my old piano stand, but for the moment it's placed on a low IKEA table.

Didn't even know it came with the FC4 pedal, but I bought a FC3 for good measure since that one allows for half-pedaling.

The Yamaha LP140 stand matches the P155 perfectly and is the exact correct height. It's over priced but you get over that after a while.

It's good that you bought the extra pedal. You can plug both of then in at once

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Splenda,

it looks wonderful! The mohogany version is my favourite too.
Enjoy your new piano and post some recordings as soon as you can!

A.

Thanks for all of the opinions and comments, everyone!

After much debate, I decided that I liked the feel of the GH on the Yamaha P-155 too much to pass it up.

[Linked Image]

Alright, it's time to start playing scales and arpeggios over and over again!

Last edited by achat; 05/05/11 04:47 PM.
S
splenda Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Congrats!

Make sure you also invest in a decent stand and a good quality set of headphones - it will make a world of difference to your playing!

Cheers,
James
x

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 pros; I think that will be sufficient.

I'll be getting a stand shortly.

@ChrisA - Yeah, I found that out a short while later, I can use the FC3 for the sustain, and the FC4 in the Aux input to act as a dampening pedal.

Records may happen when I can actually play songs decently. And when I actually have an ability to record music.

Thanks to everyone that gave their input!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission