2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
56 members (Alex_Ki, accordeur, anotherscott, 1957, Charles Cohen, ChrisGoesPiano, almo82, 15 invisible), 589 guests, and 426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bosendorfer sale on WNYC Radio
#167163 02/06/08 11:42 AM
bwise1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Just a head's up to anyone who's interested in the fallout from the Bosendorfer-Yamaha sale, today's edition of WNYC Radio's Soundcheck program has an interview with Stuart Isacoff on the topic. You can also tune in to hear an interview with Perri Knize about "Grand Obsession."

Here's a link to the show (the audio will be archived here later in the day):
http://www.wnyc.org/shows/soundcheck/episodes/2008/02/06

Re: Bosendorfer sale on WNYC Radio
#167164 02/06/08 02:33 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the link - how do I listen to the podcast?

Couldn't locate the station on Itunes, and there is no link giving you access to the audio archive.

I was interested to read this in the description though:
From WNYC Website
"The Globalization of the Piano Market
Bösendorfer -- once the favorite piano of Franz Liszt -- was purchased last month by the Yamaha Corporation. The Austrian company has been struggling financially in recent years and its market share is a fraction of Steinway's. [b]With the sale complete, can Yamaha return the family-run operation to profitability?
A look at Bosendorfer, and the globalization of the piano market, with Stuart Isacoff, editor of Piano Today magazine. "
[/b]

I find that quote misleading given the following facts:
"Family-run" - Bösendorfer hasn't been family owned & opperated for many decades: Kimball owned it since the mid 60s, Bawag purchased it a few years ago, and now Yamaha has it.

"in recent years, market share is a fraction of Steinway's" - Well 'no duh'. Bosendorfer has built in it's existence 50,000 pianos. They were established about 40 years before NY Steinway. Steinway has built close to 600,000 pianos since they have been in business. NY Steinway's products are only marketed to the US, Bosendorfer markets to Europe, North America, Asia (and I don't know where else). Of course there will be more Steinways out there, particularly in the US.

Someone who doesn't know better may think Bosendorfer is a sinking ship due to the skewed perspective painted by the phrasing of that one paragraph.

Jeff Bauer | Keyboard Concepts

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Restored Steinway

My soundcloud page
#167165 02/06/08 02:50 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
But Jeff, it's the media. What would you expect? wink

There are few joys in life greater than the absence of pain.
#167166 02/06/08 02:53 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Regarding the archive, note the "Listen to the whole show" link underneath the description of the Feb 5 show. I would expect a similar link to soon appear beneath the Feb 6 show.

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/soundcheck/episodes/2008/02

Later edit: The archive link is posted and I'm listening now.

#167167 02/06/08 04:30 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
"in recent years, market share is a fraction of Steinway's" - Well 'no duh'. Bosendorfer has built in it's existence 50,000 pianos. They were established about 40 years before NY Steinway. Steinway has built close to 600,000 pianos since they have been in business......snip
There can be little question that Bösendorfers market share is a fraction of Steinways. Look at the current production numbers and current sales. That is the market. (Not when the company was founded or how many were sold over the past century, although those numbers show Bose at less than 10%.)
Steinway sells in the range of ten times as many instruments as Bösendorfer. Is 1/10th a "fraction" or what?

JG
#167168 02/06/08 04:44 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Supply:
There can be little question that Bösendorfers market share is a fraction of Steinways. Look at the current production numbers and current sales. That is the market. (Not when the company was founded or how many were sold over the past century, although those numbers show Bose at less than 10%.)
Steinway sells in the range of ten times as many instruments as Bösendorfer. Is 1/10th a "fraction" or what?
Exactly. The way the paragragh was writen would lead the reader to think this is a recent change, when in fact it has been this way for a very long time.

Jeff Bauer | Keyboard Concepts

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Restored Steinway

My soundcloud page
#167169 02/06/08 05:12 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
As I see this subject, at the end of the day,the Bosendorfer is a fine instrument. I had a Steinway model 'A' for 40 years and it needed a great deal of money spent on it, so I eventually found this firm in Kent, England that were experts at rebuilding Bosendorfers. I could not be more pleased with this superb piano I have now.

It matters little on the fact that Steinway have domineered the market on top tier pianos. In all matters of excellence mass production does not preclude even higher quality manufacture of such an item as a piano.The other top tier pianos like Stuart, Fagioli, Phoenix, Steingraber and so on are even lower numbers than the Bosendorfer, I think on production numbers.

My own view.

Alan

#167170 02/06/08 09:16 PM
ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Sir Lurksalot:
Regarding the archive, note the "Listen to the whole show" link underneath the description of the Feb 5 show. I would expect a similar link to soon appear beneath the Feb 6 show.

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/soundcheck/episodes/2008/02

Later edit: The archive link is posted and I'm listening now.
For those interested, the interview is well worth listening to and is only 15 minutes long. Much of the sentiment is what has been said in many threads on PW:

1. Yamaha's purchase is part prestige but significantly a segmentation strategy that offers Yamaha access at the high end and also discusses the segmentation of high end, middle and low end pianos (versus American, European and Jazz differentiation).

2. Industry pundits agree that it was a good acquisition for both companies.

3. Pearl River makes 100,000 pianos a year, Bosie 300. Steinway views China as its second biggest market in the not too distant future.

4. Globalization means that it is difficult to get pianos anymore without Asian components. A note of caution is voiced about possible long term quality and durability with Renner knock offs as the specific example.

5. Estonia mentioned as a great piano at a very attractive price point.

6. The question of Steinway marketing tactics discussed and put into context of the history of piano manufacturing in the US

7. A further link exists to an interview with P. Knize. I have not listened to this yet.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Corona Virus Lock Down....
by Duaner - 12/02/20 12:49 PM
My take on upright recording at home
by Keybender - 12/02/20 12:34 PM
1985 Mason and Hamlin BB
by HeathH - 12/02/20 12:06 PM
Buying advice for a non-pianist parent
by JohnGB7 - 12/02/20 11:38 AM
Used Grand Buying Advice - $10,000 Budget
by Piparoo - 12/02/20 10:56 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,209
Posts3,029,645
Members99,449
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission