2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
victor3 Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi all! I just joined the forum after spending a serious amount of time reading though posts about these two fine DPs, but couldn't really find what I am looking for since the MP6 is often compared with the 300NX. I had the opportunity to test CP5, CP50, 700NX and Nord Piano at the store yesterday. I liked the 700NX most (touch, piano sound, varied sound library), but MP6 seems to be somewhat similar and I cannot find it from the local dealers so I would have to order one blindfolded.

I'm going to use this at home only, so weight doesn't matter and I plan on using it for casual playing as well as composing together with a PC. How do these two differ from one another? How does the sound library compare? How do I choose between these two?

Thanks!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by victor3

I'm going to use this at home only, so weight doesn't matter and I plan on using it for casual playing as well as composing together with a PC. How do these two differ from one another? How does the sound library compare? How do I choose between these two?

Thanks!

Well, if you're willing to go into the price range of the CP5/RD-700NX, and this is for home use only, why not check out the MP10 rather than MP6? The MP10 has Kawai's flagship RM3 Wooden Ivory action, with their top of the line sounds. The MP10 is 70lbs which isn't a problem if you're not gigging. Seek out an MP10. If you liked the RD-700NX action, then you'll also probably enjoy the MP10 action. Their are many differences in tone generation and sound libraries, but you also get many of the same features, just laid out differently. It's like comparing a Ford F-150 to a Dodge Ram 1500. Both are very similar, but both have their own layout and flavors.

But since you are planning on spending ~$2500, you may as well try Kawai's flagship MP10. If I was staying at home playing, and I wanted a slab style DP, I'd go with the MP10 myself.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello victor3, welcome to the forum!

Given the choice between an RD-700NX and an MP6, I'd definitely opt for the Roland.

However, as Zachary mentions, if you were to consider the MP10, things get a little more interesting.

Last month's 'Keyboard Magazine' reviewed a number of stage pianos from Yamaha, Roland, and Kawai - you may wish to take a look:

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newbay/kb_201103/

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C

If you are going to be using a computer then mabe you should care so much on the size of the built-in sound library as the computer can have so much more than is built into either keyboard.

I'd decide based on the feel of the key action. As others have said if you can ford the MP10 that look at that. Roland and Kawai's best actions are each good but different. I'd not want to say which is best but play both. For for home use and with plans with have a computer conected why not compare a Roland FP7F to the MP6? Save close to $1,000?

You likely will not want to be forced to turn on the computer just to play so internal sounds do matter so you will need to listen but don't simply count the voices. Don't know what software you use but m Logic Studio has something like 2,000 instruments or whatever, enough that it has to have a built-in search function and then you add something like Kontakt and you have thousands more. Software like this is heap compared to your total budget

Bottom line. Find the key action you like best but then make sure the few basic sounds you will use are acceptable to you.

Last edited by ChrisA; 04/28/11 07:33 PM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
The MP6 and 700NX do not compete the 300NX is the MP6's competitor.
The 700NX is against the MP10.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
C
C
roland rd 700nx is the one to get on sale for 2100

V
victor3 Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thank you for all the feedback. I have decided to go with either the MP10 or 700NX. I have not had the chance to try the MP10 since it is not available anywhere nearby.

Would anybody be able to describe how much you can modify the piano sounds on the MP10 e.g. would I be able to create a piano sound, which is similar to Antique Piano 1 on the 700NX?

victor3, the MP10 has a variety of parameters to adjust the sounds in the PIANO section - the most of any Kawai DP. However, the character of the piano will always sound like a Kawai, as that is essentially the source instrument.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
A
I have not had the chance to try the MP10 since it is not available anywhere nearby.
You may also try a CA93. It would give you a feel for the action. And the sound (through headphones). The CA63 is similar. If they turn you off, the MP10 is likely to as well.

Would anybody be able to describe how much you can modify the piano sounds on the MP10 e.g. would I be able to create a piano sound, which is similar to Antique Piano 1 on the 700NX?
I'm not familiar with that sound. Are we talking a honkytonk or saloon piano sound, or perhaps an old Playel piano?

V
victor3 Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thanks. I will seek out those two models and try them.

The Antique Piano 1 on the 700NX is perhaps somewhat similar to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBxOt_JdqoQ

A
A
Not the best quality recording, but I can get the idea. I think you could get something that sounds like that. I could tweak some settings and see if it's the sound you're looking for. Do you have a midi file, or a particular style you like?

V
victor3 Offline OP
OP Offline
V
No particular style in mind or a midi file. I am rather optimistic about the modification capabilities of the MP10 after listening to your excellent Complete Mix demo. smile I also just skimmed through the MP10 manual and noticed the number of effects you can use.

A
A
Something like this maybe?
Cyndi's Song

Last edited by AldoEsplay; 05/04/11 07:52 PM. Reason: Replaced audio file. Had forgotten to remove room EQ on the original. Made minor tweaks to preset.
V
victor3 Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Sounds familiar. Very nice, thanks AldoEsplay. I also had the chance to play the CA63 for two hours and liked the touch.

I've decided to go with the MP10. It would be nice for it to have the GM/GM2 sounds of NX700 though so I wouldn't have to use software instruments for everything other than the pianos.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nice playing AldoEsplay! Thanks for posting the MP3.

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
A
A
Sounds familiar.

It was a very popular song. My own arrangement. Here's the opening verse before the writers changed it:
You've got a long list with so many choices
A ventriloquist with so many voices
And your friends in high places say where the pieces fit
You've got too many faces in your make-up kit
Google any of those lines and it should be the first hit.

I've decided to go with the MP10.
Good choice. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission