2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
57 members (Arty Movie, CyberGene, Animisha, Emery Wang, Dore, David B, Colette2, 15 invisible), 540 guests, and 406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: My very first review of Kawai CA63
CyberGene #1552284 11/06/10 03:56 PM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
James, as I realized today, the issue with damper/string resonance being disabled when controlling the piano from an external MIDI sequencer is still not fixed. I thought that was fixed some time ago for MP5 and now it's again here on CA63. This is kind of disappointing. Both the USB-recording gain and the damper/string resonance issues make it very unlikely that I will use the internal piano for any serious recording. Usually my workflow is to record a piece, then make some corrections in a MIDI sequencer and then re-record it. One of the deciding factors for me to buy CA63 was to use its USB-recording ability for noise-free digital recording. It turns out the USB-recording is noisy and furthermore resonances are missing if controlled via MIDI. In that case I should resort again to Ivory for serious recordings and that wasn't my intent with CA63 purchase.

I hope you could bring that to the development team and I believe the resonance issue would be fixed easily taking in mind it was fixed on MP5. I can try to live without the gain feature since I have high quality audio interface for recordings but that's silly. If developers think regular users can use it wrongly by mistake, then do it a hidden option, for example press simultaneously metronome + play + rec + function to bring the hidden screen with gain control? After turn off the setting would reset to no gain control thus preventing any possible misuse.

As I understand, the same issue with damper/string resonance missing with external MIDI is also observable on Roland HP-307... It must be a conspiracy smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 11/06/10 03:57 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
CyberGene #1552414 11/06/10 07:47 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
CyberGene, I will make another recommendation to the CA93/CA63 team to allow String/Damper resonance to be applied when playing back MIDI.

I have already requested that gain control be implemented using your Scirabin recording as an example.

I obviously cannot guarantee that these features will be added in future, however will obviously keep you informed of any developments.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
CyberGene #1552632 11/07/10 04:33 AM
R
R
Great sounding piano and lovely playing. That sort of tune is the reason I want to be able to play the piano...

As far as the gain to the USB recording circuit is concerned, I think Kawai probably have the ability to change this with a software update although making one of the controls become a gain control would be very hit and miss without a meter of some description. I hope they can overcome what seems a little bit of an embarrassing situation.

I personally think ramping the gain up might work but it would have to be based on the loudest possible noise the machine could make (per instrument) peaking around -3db otherwise it will just end up sounding worse than the current potentially massive noise floor. Maybe this is the way it's set up??

Hugely dynamic instruments are a pig to record at the best of times so leaving the gain decision to a pianist (who may or may not have any recording skills) by botching on a software facility, without a meter, is a daunting task. I'd be interested to see what their solution is..

Congrats on a lovely piano. It sounds fantastic despite the noise floor..

Rimmer #1552703 11/07/10 07:06 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rimmer
As far as the gain to the USB recording circuit is concerned, I think Kawai probably have the ability to change this with a software update although making one of the controls become a gain control would be very hit and miss without a meter of some description.

That's right, therefore a 32 or 24-bit WAV recording, instead of 16-bit would be a better solution (as then there is a lot of SNR headroom without having to change the gain).

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
Pinipon #1552724 11/07/10 08:16 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pinipon
Originally Posted by Kawai James
There are certainly lots of excellent feature suggestions requested by CA93/CA63 owners, so let's see what the future brings.

Maybe it could be interesting to create a thread to exchange some ideas of important features to be add in the firmware...

May I add feature requests:

My 14 year old Yamaha CVP96 had a MIDI feature named "remote keyboard".
When this mode is active, the piano ignores advanced MIDI events like program change and so on and it only recognices "NoteON" "NoteOFF" "Pitch Bend" "Aftertouch" and soft, sostenuto and sustain pedal events.

The MIDI in this mode cannot change the sound adjustments. If MIDI events come in then these are interpreted exactly as if the corresponding key or pedal or wheel was locally used. That means, all layered sounds and all panel adjustments will be used unchanged, when MIDI events come in.

Also the velocity value for the "Fixed" velocity was adjustable. This is very helpful when testing software pianos.
Also the percent value for all effects like chorus, reverb and so on and the relative volume of layers was adjustable.
And Panning.

Of course my Kawai CP136 can do this also, but the fixed velocity is not adjustable and it doesnt have remote keyboard functionality.

Also a sound is needed that is silent. That means, when this sound is selected, then only MIDI events are produced, but no sound. This is most useful to use with softwarepianos. Because this sound is recorded on the internal recorder it will behave exactly the same when the recorder is played. The local sound is muted, but the softwarepiano plays the recorder content. For other MIDI channels it still plays internal sounds.
Fortunately I was able to create such a "silent" sound with the inbulit sound editor of my CP136 and that is what I almost use for dayly playing and recording ;-)
This is much better in functionality and usability than using the "local off" mode.

Peter

Last edited by hpeterh; 11/07/10 08:55 AM.

1929 Galaxy Blüthner Baby Grand
acer aspire m3300 AMD Phenom II X6

CyberGene #1610176 02/01/11 11:54 AM
M
M
Hi! help! ca63 owners plz!
im new in here and i recently bought a CA63 and i`ve been having trouble trying to update to v 1.07. The piano doesnt recognize my usb pendrives or something else, ive tried with 3 different pendrives...first, after getting the "flash programming by usb memory" message i`ve got the "file not found" message, so i tried to format the pendrives from the piano using the respective usb menu function(i`ve already formatted them from my pc) to see if it recognizes them or if it was some formatting problem, but i ve got the "no usb device" message or the "illegal format" with the last pendrive(¿?). with this last one, when trying to update, the "flash programming by usb memory" message is shown eternally on the piano lcd and the "boot end" message never appears, like its stuck or something...i dont know what the problem could be so please, if somebody knows anything, any help could be useful for me
thanks
(and sorry for my english, im not a native speaker :s)

Maurockmez #1610490 02/01/11 05:51 PM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Make sure your thumb drive is formatted with FAT32 file system and not NTFS/HFS or any other filesystem. (FAT32 is the default on Windows but a flash drive can be also be formatted with FAT32 on a Mac with no additional software. Tell me if you have difficulties with that point). Also, what brand and capacity is that? Maybe it's too new and/or having too big capacity which is not supported by the piano USB interface. Are you able to record mp3/wav files on it in normal piano mode?

Last edited by CyberGene; 02/01/11 06:05 PM.

CyberGene #1610599 02/01/11 07:19 PM
I would also recommend formatting the USB device on the CA63 itself, just in case.

Then copy the CA63_040.SYS update file (note: not the compressed .ZIP file) to the root folder of the USB device using your computer.

Finally connect the USB device to the CA63 and power on the instrument while holding the EFFECTS, CURSOR DOWN, and REVERB buttons.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

CyberGene #1610701 02/01/11 10:19 PM
M
M
hello! just recently i tried with yet another pendrive (some cheap kingston 8mb device xd) and finally i could update the ca63 to 1.07!!
Thanks CyberGene and Kawai_James for answering!
(dont know what was wrong with the usb devices, i bet the formatting issue, maybe. Before, i tried with a sony NWZ-B152F pendrive, among others).

cheers!

CyberGene #1657816 04/10/11 06:02 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Kawai James,

I have few suggestions for improvement and have so far found few cosmetic bugs:

(snipped)

- [cosmetic bug] When erasing a recorded part of a song, there is a message on the screen "Eraseing". My English is not that good but I still think it has to be "Erasing".

(snipped)

bbm

We just got our brand new CA63 set up and it still says 'eraseing'. English *is* my native language, and you are correct: it should be 'erasing'.

smile

CyberGene #1657824 04/10/11 06:31 PM
mariahdc, thank you for reminding me of this particular point. I had previously gone through the CA93/CA63 display text, editing and correcting the screens, however it appears that I missed one (or misspelt the 'correction'..).

I'll have to ask the software chaps to fix this for the next software update.

Cheers,
James
x

Kawai James #1659899 04/14/11 06:18 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Besides spell corrections, though nice, let's hope that the next software update also includes some really major improvements/enhancements. Many serious requests have been posted by CA93/CA63 owners already and Kawai Europe has given feedback that they are willing to add everything that's feasible and makes sense...

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
CyberGene #1659985 04/14/11 10:20 AM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
I still insist on the damper/string resonances triggered through MIDI as well as WAV recording gain since those two issues make it difficult for me to use the piano for quality recordings and I have to resort to software instruments.

CyberGene #1660000 04/14/11 10:50 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
+1!

1) Damper / string resonances also active when playing through MIDI

2) No sound at all when playing very softly (velocity = 1)

3) Nice to have: Custom setting of dry / wet level of reverb effects

99) Spell corrections is the very lowest priority on my personal list! wink

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
CyberGene #1668837 04/30/11 12:39 AM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

The CPE Bach sounds very nice Evgeny, really enjoyed that.
You just sold a Kawai CA63, you should get a commission... laugh

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5
Dave Ferris #1669888 05/02/11 08:16 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris

The CPE Bach sounds very nice Evgeny, really enjoyed that.
You just sold a Kawai CA63, you should get a commission... laugh

Indeed. Very beautiful. I especially liked that you let us enjoy the cantabile and didn't take an excessive tempo as many recordings seem to want to rush through the notes. The transparent Kawai tone is very well suited to this style of music in my opinion.

By the way, for those that have not yet discovered it, The Packard Humanities Institute in Los Altos, California has, in collaboration with the Bach-Archiv Leipzig, the Sachsische Akademie der Wissenschaften and Harvard University under the editorial direction of Christopher Hogwood, started publishing the complete works of Carl Phillip Emmanuel Bach. These are gorgeous, oversized, hardbound editions that are priced at only between 13 and 17 euros each at current $ exchange rates. An absolute steal! They can be ordered directly from this site:

http://www.cpebach.org/cpeb/

The piece CyberGene played, if I am not mistaken based on the last movement of the the Sonata in B Minor 55/3, is in the fourth book of the first series, Sechs Clavier-Sonaten fur Kenner und Liebhaber, Eerste Sammlung, Wq55 (with incompletely realized bass - nice to compare to written out romantic editions).

CyberGene #1822720 01/11/12 12:36 PM
Here I am. From today another member of the club...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Learning piano from 01 March 2010 to 2015. Restarting in 2020.
- Ex: Yamaha P-85, Kawai ES-4
- Current: Kawai CA-63
- Videos
- soundcloud
CyberGene #1822760 01/11/12 01:33 PM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
supertorpe, congrats on your new piano!

By the way I have somehow missed the last posts by Dave Ferris and theJourney...

Thank you very much for your kind words! smile It has been more than a year since I've made that recording and listening to it now I realize how bad it is at places (especially the trills), obviously the keyboard was very new to me and I wasn't in good control of the keyboard at the time (Not that I do much better now). I'll try to rerecord this piece again.

Regarding the Rondo Esspressivo. I remember I was a child when my sister used to play this piece on flute accompanied by my mother on the piano and I loved it! I had some difficulties to find the original of this piece, I don't even know what's the original instrumentation, maybe it's solo piano, or maybe it's violin (or other solo instrument like flute) and piano... I almost gave up when I stumbled upon a JPEG of the score I have recorded here. Now, reading what theJourney said, I will research a little more because my understanding is that the piece was maybe just a figured bass or anything similar and the arrangement I am playing is done by someone else?

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/11/12 02:02 PM.

CyberGene #1822937 01/11/12 07:38 PM
N
N
Welcome on board supertorpe smile
Still very satisfied (and enthusiastic) with my CA63 smile

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which Petrofs should be in this list?
by Emery Wang - 06/06/20 11:54 AM
Are great pianists more intelligent than most?
by pianoloverus - 06/06/20 11:35 AM
joiner glue for cloth bush key
by Maximillyan - 06/06/20 10:44 AM
Internal Harmony in RH octaves
by Henderson Hall - 06/06/20 10:38 AM
Kawai ES110 Bluetooth not working?
by Dreamcaster - 06/06/20 08:53 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,422
Posts2,966,536
Members97,318
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission