Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
32 registered members (Cudo, Ankee, AZNpiano, Boboulus, boe2, Alicia1, CosminX, 12 invisible), 3,101 guests, and 693 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Interesting interview with Sergei Rachmaninoff #1669540 05/01/11 02:02 PM
Palindrome Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Interesting interview with Sergei Rachmaninoff [Re: Palindrome] #1669641 05/01/11 05:46 PM
D
Drunk3nFist Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
A very interesting view from one of the all-time greats. I wonder what his opinion would have been about recording in the age of digital technology.

A very well spoken man too, God bless Sergei.

Ravel - Une Barque Sur l'Ocean
Kapustin - Etude No. 7
Bach/Busoni - Chaconne
Re: Interesting interview with Sergei Rachmaninoff [Re: Palindrome] #1669647 05/01/11 06:06 PM
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think he'd love it! What a fine man - and an excellent piece of journalism.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
Re: Interesting interview with Sergei Rachmaninoff [Re: Palindrome] #1669797 05/01/11 11:27 PM
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for posting this. What an eloquent essay.

If I remember rightly Herman Hesse expressed a similar attitude toward broadcast music, in the novel Steppenwolf. But I believe his protagonist also took a dim view of the gramophone.

Re: Interesting interview with Sergei Rachmaninoff [Re: Ferdinand] #1670336 05/02/11 10:15 PM
Palindrome Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ferdinand
Thanks for posting this. What an eloquent essay.

If I remember rightly Herman Hesse expressed a similar attitude toward broadcast music, in the novel Steppenwolf. But I believe his protagonist also took a dim view of the gramophone.

Your signature line really ticks me off!

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
Re: Interesting interview with Sergei Rachmaninoff [Re: Palindrome] #1670353 05/02/11 11:12 PM
currawong Offline
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Palindrome
Originally Posted by Ferdinand
Bless my metronome.
Your signature line really ticks me off!

[Linked Image]

Du holde Kunst...
Re: Interesting interview with Sergei Rachmaninoff [Re: Palindrome] #1676780 05/13/11 05:54 AM
M
MarianneAlkonost Offline
M
Thank you so much for the link! It contains a rare photo of Rachmaninoff and very interesting article. It's a pity we don't have video record of him playing the piano. :-(

Re: Interesting interview with Sergei Rachmaninoff [Re: Palindrome] #1676804 05/13/11 06:53 AM
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Interesting -

Thanks for sharing.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Re: Interesting interview with Sergei Rachmaninoff [Re: lilylady] #1677773 05/14/11 08:07 PM
J
Jose Laiz Offline
J
can anybody here have or could PDF post the Rachmaninoff VOCALISE piano solo arrangement transcrip by ZOLTAN?
I personally like the arpeggios at the end. If someone has the
music sheet, I will greatly appreciate it or exchange with another or mine.

Thanks
Joe

Re: Interesting interview with Sergei Rachmaninoff [Re: daviel] #1677774 05/14/11 08:08 PM
J
Jose Laiz Offline
J
can anybody here have or could PDF post the Rachmaninoff VOCALISE piano solo arrangement transcrip by ZOLTAN?

Thanks
Joe

Re: Interesting interview with Sergei Rachmaninoff [Re: Jose Laiz] #1677968 05/15/11 02:27 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Jose Laiz

I am guessing you mean this one one by Zoltan Kocsis. It was published by Editio Musica Budapest in 1981, I think, and so would still be under copyright.

Re: Interesting interview with Sergei Rachmaninoff [Re: wr] #1678025 05/15/11 07:39 AM
J
Julian_ Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by Jose Laiz

I am guessing you mean this one one by Zoltan Kocsis. It was published by Editio Musica Budapest in 1981, I think, and so would still be under copyright.

Yes, it will be under copyright for a long time to come. Jose, if you really like this piece I hope you buy it. Just to warn you, those arpeggios are very difficult. There is some rapid jumping from one hand position to another in both hands, and much of the time melody flows back and forth between the hands. Four brains would be useful: 1) melody; 2) arpeggios; 3) harmony; 4) pedal. smile

The whole piece is quite difficult. It takes great care handling the dynamics of all the voices in the accompaniment, and to half pedal in places to leave some bass harmonies lingering a bit longer than they are written, otherwise some harmonies can sound incomplete or even wrong. Played beautifully, I think it would make a lovely encore piece.

P.S. argerichfan, I see on the back of the book that Kocsis also transcribed the prelude to Wagner's Die Meistersinger!

(Used to post as SlatterFan)
Re: Interesting interview with Sergei Rachmaninoff [Re: Julian_] #1678128 05/15/11 11:47 AM
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SlatterFan
... There is some rapid jumping from one hand position to another in both hands, and much of the time melody flows back and forth between the hands.
Four brains would be useful: 1) melody; 2) arpeggios; 3) harmony; 4) pedal. smile

Damn.
I'm having a hard enough time with one.

Re: Interesting interview with Sergei Rachmaninoff [Re: Palindrome] #1678997 05/16/11 08:00 PM
remline Offline
It is only the perfecting of electrical recording during the last three years... that has given us piano reproduction... that could hardly be bettered.

Calling 1930's recording methods "perfect" is quite a strong statement. Was Sergei that easily satisfied with the audio quality of his recordings? Or is this just an indication that was he impressed with the rate of technological improvement?

Through the medium of the gramophone we can now offer the public performances closely similar to those we give on the concert platform... If once, twice or three times I do not play as well as I can, it is possible to record and re-record, to destroy and remake until, at last, I am content with the result.

I don't understand Sergei's logic here. He seems to state that the concert platform is the touchstone of musical performance. However, he also states that he is never satisfied with his initial performance and must re-play before being happy with himself. So, wouldn't the concert platform suffer from the same flaw as radio broadcasts? Both would contain mistakes that can't be fixed.

Yet today, when we have first-class recording, business is worse than it has ever been. For this, I can only think that the universal craze for radio is to blame.

Let us also consider the rather depressed macro-economic conditions in the early 1930's. And I'm glad you don't have to see the "craze" for television in our modern times!

But to listen-in in great cities like London or New York when one could actually be present in a concert hall – to me that would seem sacrilege. Radio is a very great invention, but not, I think, for art.

Hasn't the cost of the concert hall always been a concern? I can listen to the radio for free. I can even buy several CDs for the cost of one concert ticket.

Think what it would have meant to us to-day could we possess records made by Liszt, the greatest pianist who has ever lived. Yet we can only dimly imagine what his playing must have been.

I think a lot of us would like to have this hypothetical recording. Interesting that Sergei firmly states Liszt is the greatest pianist of all time, while at the same time stating that he only has a dim idea of his playing...

To make records with the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra is as thrilling an experience as any artist could desire. Unquestionably, they are the finest orchestral combination in the world.

I'm not so sure the Europeans would take kindly to this statement. Outdone by the Yankees?

It is very rarely that an artist, whether as soloist or composer, is gratified by hearing his work accompanied and interpreted with so much sympathetic co-operation, such perfection of detail and balance between piano and orchestra.

Think how satisfying it must be to hear 110 people playing your work!

Re: Interesting interview with Sergei Rachmaninoff [Re: remline] #1679906 05/18/11 06:50 AM
M
MarianneAlkonost Offline
M
Originally Posted by remline

I think a lot of us would like to have this hypothetical recording. Interesting that Sergei firmly states Liszt is the greatest pianist of all time, while at the same time stating that he only has a dim idea of his playing...

I guess his relative (cousin), producer and one of the best pianists Alexander Siloti told him much about Liszt, as long as he was his student:

[Linked Image]

He knew not only Liszt, he was a friend of Tchaikovsky too. He could compare lots of manners of piano playing...

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I just bought a new Kawai K. 300 vertical
by shirlkirsten - 01/29/20 12:36 AM
Kobe Bryant the Piano Builder
by TimM_980 - 01/29/20 12:07 AM
Arturia Keylab 88, any opinions??
by Pianero - 01/28/20 11:00 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,590
Posts2,918,599
Members95,768
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission