2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, 5 invisible), 1,261 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have to start thinking about what I'll play for you guys... I still haven't decided.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I have a date to the party! After much coaxing today, she finally said yes. smile

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Strings & Wood
I have a date to the party! After much coaxing today, she finally said yes. smile

Curiouser and curiouser....

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
YOU'RE KILLING US!

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peyton
... I'm having to accept the fact that I have writtin something I can't play...

You're just too creative for your own good - some problem to have laugh But you're in good company - Schubert had the same problem once or twice.

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
B
B
I want to be in the recital, looks like too much fun; but, I haven't completed any pieces. frown Guess I'll post what I have in the piano bar in May. Next recital (August, right?) I will have a complete piece to share, hopefully. And by then I can perform it on an actual piano, moving back to Texas in 2 weeks.

Nick
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Strings & Wood

You're a player S&W, I knew it you macho man.

K
K
I found a nice little one-page piece by Darius Milhaud. I looked on the excellent new ABF recital index, and saw that Milhaud has yet to feature - I was aiming to find a new (and not too obscure) composer for the list. I wonder how many others will do the same ? I found the piece the weekend before last and recorded it last night so I am keeping it simple this time. It's short and sweet, but I think it's a nice piece and one that not many people will have come across.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KeemaNan
I found a nice little one-page piece by Darius Milhaud. I looked on the excellent new ABF recital index, and saw that Milhaud has yet to feature - I was aiming to find a new (and not too obscure) composer for the list. I wonder how many others will do the same ? I found the piece the weekend before last and recorded it last night so I am keeping it simple this time. It's short and sweet, but I think it's a nice piece and one that not many people will have come across.

You have piqued my curiosity! I look forward to hearing this. My piece is by a fairly well known composer, but I'm still keeping mum til it is uploaded!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John Frank
Originally Posted by Peyton
... I'm having to accept the fact that I have writtin something I can't play...

You're just too creative for your own good - some problem to have laugh But you're in good company - Schubert had the same problem once or twice.

JF

Well now I feel better... smile

I remember reading that about Schubert. That must have been frustrating for him. Then again, his definition of "can't play" and mine might be a little different.....

Last edited by Peyton; 04/27/11 07:08 AM.
K
K
I guess this is quite common for classical composers - especially as new music these days tends to be on the virtuosic end of the spectrum. Also, a lot of composers write a lot of their music for instruments they can't even play !

It's an interesting situation though. Maybe you should write yourself an 'ossia' for the tricky bit !

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KeemaNan

My piece has also never appeared in an ABF recital. It's a premier! It's also in Eb minor. Add up the flats in that key signature - 6. Maybe that's why it has never appeared in an ABF recital.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Sam S
My piece has also never appeared in an ABF recital. It's a premier! It's also in Eb minor. Add up the flats in that key signature - 6. Maybe that's why it has never appeared in an ABF recital.

Sam

Perhaps you should count the white keys instead wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Y
Y
Interesting thread... smile

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Originally Posted by Sam S

Sam

Perhaps you should count the white keys instead wink

It's easier to count the black keys - there are fewer of them. And they are easier to play on, since they are sticking up with space in between. Surely that's why composers write in such odd keys.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well I finally got a fairly decent recording of my piece yesterday and let me tell you that when it comes to recording, digitals have an EXTREME advantage. No mic placement or acoustics to deal with.

Is that really such a big deal?.....YES!

As I've said in an earlier post, I can perform my piece pretty good. That's not the problem.

The challenge is how incredibly different just subtle mic placement changes make as well as room acoustics.

Just having the lid partly open, halfway open and fully open make a huge difference in sound. Then there is the mic placement. On the music shelf, on a chair 3 feet away, 5 feet away, 10 feet away, left side, right side. It all makes a BIG difference.

Then there is the compatibility of the instrument and the room it is in. Big piano in a small room just doesn't work out. Small piano in a big room is better.

I've taken many-O-jabs at digitals over the years but I must say when it comes to recording ease they just can't be beat.

I love my mighty Mason acoustic but getting the recording acoustics/mic placement worked out seems to be a never ending challenge. Oh, here's another thing. Once you think you finally have everything worked out and have everything positioned and placed right.......it will change when you play a different type of tune and then you can start all over again!!

It may be easier to just pull your hair out from the start whilst sounding off every possible swear word you can think of just to get it over with. I'm just sayin'.

I am happy to report that I finally have a good recording with NO CLIPPING (for once) and it only took me 6 hours to come up with it.

[p.s, my hair should grow back as I didn't rip the roots out!]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
roflmao mr s-h... omg I know where you've been and I just gave up in my small room. But now that I'm working part time at a Piano store and have access to all the digitals... I just might have to jump back in.

now you know the advantage of really short hair.

btw,
mr s-h, I think I have a lead on your New Boat

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Haha. Been there and done that Les. I used to own a Warlock catamaran boat in the 90's. It burned nearly 40 galls of fuel per hour x full day of boating = going broke!

Spending stupid money on gas was just a total waste from many different angles and I was happy to sell it.

Now of course I ride a motorized surfboard (Craigcat) which only burns one gallon of fuel per hour at full throttle and the *pucker factor* can't be beat. I even tow it with a little VW Jetta since the boat only weighs around 300 lbs.

Here is a pic taken last year on the nearby colorado river (Topock gorge) between Laughlin NV and Lake Havasu AZ.

[Linked Image]

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
ahhhh it's already that time. I thought it's in May. Well, it's almost in May, geesh.. I haven't memorized my piece yet and you folks had to put up with my harsh page turning sound in addition to full of mistakes sprinkled throughout the piece. well, may be it's still premature to play.. hope those ice cream trucks won't come when i'm recording.. don't you think something always happens when you thought you have made a decent recording?

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Until last night, I didn't think I would be able to play my piece. Now I have hope--I might be able to play it at 106 without catastrophe (120 is the goal). I don't think I'll have time to bring the interlude up to speed, but at least I should have the rowdy, punk-rock part (as much as the 1840's can be punk rock--maybe a romantic version of Bad Brains meets Bad Religion?). This piece has been WAY, WAY harder than I expected. (he thinks to himself, 'maybe those difficulty ratings mean something after all')

After this, I am definitely going to pick on pieces that are my own size!

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission