2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by bennevis
'Troldhaugen' just means Troll's House in Norwegian, and is the name of Grieg's home near Bergen, beside a fjord. Once you've visited it, you'll always remember the name...

Which reminds me, another fairly easy but impressive-sounding Lyric Piece is 'March of the Trolls' - play it as fast and aggressively as you dare (and don't forget that trolls are ugly and dastardly creatures...) - you'll bring the house down grin.
Trolling is not allowed at PW.

B
B
My mental picture of a troll in PW is crazy....

If music be the food of love, play on!
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by Samuel1993
There's the obvious one's such as Beethoven's 'Fur Elise', Mozart's Alla Turca etc.

Impressive? I find it hard to believe that even the musically uneducated find either impressive, since it seems every other kid on the block plays one or the other (or both).

When the really really musically uneducated ask me to play, I sometimes do play the fur elise if I'm in no mood to play anything else and they are almost always highly impressed.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by liszt85
There's the obvious one's such as Beethoven's 'Fur Elise', Mozart's Alla Turca etc.

Impressive? I find it hard to believe that even the musically uneducated find either impressive, since it seems every other kid on the block plays one or the other (or both).

When the really really musically uneducated ask me to play, I sometimes do play the fur elise if I'm in no mood to play anything else and they are almost always highly impressed.

I'm not saying "Elise" isn't a wonderful piece...it is. I'm also not saying that only one who is musically uneducated can appreciate it, but it's soooo played by soooo many I have a hard time believing many would find playing it an impressive feat.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

I think you have the tendency of giving the musically uneducated too much credit.

B
B
My experience of the 'musically uneducated' is that if you play something that involves changing hand positions rapidly and a bit of finger dexterity, they'll be impressed. And that includes Fur Elise and (even more so, because of the octaves) Rondo alla turca. But not something like a straightforward Chopin Nocturne or one of his slow waltzes, no matter how expressive it sounds: they don't appreciate tonal or phrasing niceties.

Better to give them K545 instead, if all else fails grin.

I normally play only for my own satisfaction and alone, but if I have an audience (usually when I'm on holiday, and playing on a strange piano), I know exactly how to impress them....

If music be the food of love, play on!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Chopin's Cmi Prelude is big, short, and not hard to play or memorize.

Also Wm Gillock's book of preludes are all early to mid intermediate, and sound much harder than they are.

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Originally Posted by AaronL619
I am not a very advanced pianist. I play the piano mainly for the enjoyment of myself not really to impress others. Though occasionally get asked to play for family, friends etc.
So I am asking suggestions for some new pieces that are basically easier to play than they sound that would impress/entertain listeners.

I am moving on to start my grade 6 soon but to give you an idea of my level here are a few pieces I can play:

Cecile Chaminade - Scarf Dance
Erik Satie - Gymnopedie no.1 & Gnossienne no.1
Clementi - sonatinas from op. 36
Gustav Lange - Blumedlied

Thanks

Aaron -

Everyone here is going to have their own idea of what is "easy" and "impressive."

When you are asked to perform for family and friends, simply play whatever you know or are working on at the time. The "Scarf Dance," for example, is an upbeat, appealing piece that people enjoy hearing. The "Gymnopedie" and "Gnossienne" are also very accessible. Most folks aren't too picky. They simply want to hear you play something - anything - for a couple of minutes. Play whatever you can perform well. Believe me - they'll be impressed !!

Last edited by carey; 04/26/11 12:09 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
A
A
Excellent replies by all. The only thing I might add is, if you are looking for more contemporary piece, Bela Bartok's Mikrokosmos. It has 6 different books containing increasingly difficult pieces. Also, Debussy's Claire du Lune or some of Prokofiev's Visions Fugitives. One or more of them could add diversity to your repratoire. Lastly, Mozart's Sonata in F maj., second movement, Adagio, is a beautiful piece that's not too difficult and JS Bach's French Suite No. 1 in Dmin, has some potential as well.

Last edited by AnonymousInvention; 04/26/11 12:30 PM.
Originally Posted by bennevis
My experience of the 'musically uneducated' is that if you play something that involves changing hand positions rapidly and a bit of finger dexterity, they'll be impressed....

Well, I am too. ha
Call me musically uneducated. smile

BTW, good breakdown there. We could call it the Liberace effect (even without lifting your hands in the air and smiling at the audience).

P.S. I didn't notice anyone yet asking......

Why are you asking about 'impressive'? Why not just things that almost everyone will just really like?

(purposely naive question)

Online Content

Originally Posted by Mark_C
P.S. I didn't notice anyone yet asking......

Why are you asking about 'impressive'? Why not just things that almost everyone will just really like?

(purposely naive question)

Because like all the rest of us here, he'd like to be perceived as being better than he really is !! grin

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by carey

Because like all the rest of us here, he'd like to be perceived as being better than he really is !! grin

Yes, This is very true!

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by carey

thumb That was the best post of the day!

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I'm surprised nobody recommended anything by Burgmueller yet. Although his Opus 100 is most familiar, there are also attractive pieces in Op. 105 and Op. 109 that are only a bit more challenging.

A few more suggestions come to mind for a striving intermediate player who wants to 'impress' with something that sounds more difficult than it is. Among the many 19th century composers who faded into obscurity are Auguste Durand (his Waltz Op. 83 has immediate appeal) and Hugo Reinhold, who wrote an attractive Impromptu in C-sharp minor.

Of the suitable compositions by Chopin, an offbeat choice would be his Polonaise Militaire. The tune is widely recognized, and I don't think it presents much difficulty at all provided one can reach an octave comfortably.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
maybe that's a different military polonaise. The one I heard last night looked pretty hard to me!

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I don't think there's more than one (unless it's by a different Chopin -- Kate, maybe? smile )

Anyway, your observation might confirm that the piece sounds more difficult than it is!

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi Aaron,

Why not please your Mum by at least having a bash at the first page of Grieg’s Wedding Day at Troldhaugen Opus 65, no. 6.

Here’s the first page, if you’d like to give it a stab.
[Linked Image]

Online Content

Originally Posted by btb
Hi Aaron,

Why not please your Mum by at least having a bash at the first page of Grieg’s Wedding Day at Troldhaugen Opus 65, no. 6.

Here’s the first page, if you’d like to give it a stab.
[Linked Image]

Unfortunately, it gets somewhat more difficult after the first page. grin I think the OP is looking for something a tad easier that still sounds impressive.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

My grandma heard me play a Chopin waltz, then my cousin play Richard Clayderman. Guess who she thought played better?? (No offense to my grandma...RIP frown )

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission