2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
OP Offline
H
Hello,

i am a novice at piano. i have 2 kids that will start piano lessons soon (age 6 & 8). i saw a listing on craiglist for Howard Baldwin baby grand approx 40 yrs old for $750. is this a good price for this piano? This is what is posted:

Baby Grand Piano seldom played, bought mostly for décor. I bought it used from H&H Music Company in May 1996. It is approximately 40 years old. It appears to have been refinished at one time. It does have a couple of scratches and is in need of tuning.
However, in good condition. Move at your own expense.

Should I jump at this? Thank you.

It could be a good deal, or not. I have a Baldwin Howard 5'8" grand from the early 1980's that I bought used for a lot more than $750, put $300 into tuning and some action work, and am well pleased.

However, before buying it, I spent $80 having a local RPT (Registered Piano Technician)/tuner examine it and give me a report of its actual condition. The RPT agreed with the seller's price as being a good (but not great) deal. I live in a small town, and grands that are affordable to me don't show up frequently.

Not knowing where you are, it may not be relevant, but having a local professional mover move the instrument (about 10 miles) to my home coat me an additional $350.

Jim Cason
Promised LAN Computing, Inc.
Howard C171 Grand, Kurzweil PC3X, PC3, PC361, PC2X, PC2.
JBL 10&15 EONG2s, EV SxA100+s QSC K10s, HP & ThinkPad DAWs, eMu 1820M & 1616M.
Epi Les Paul & LP 5str Bass, Trace amp-cabinets.
Formerly in electronic keyboard repair trade - semi-retired
H
OP Offline
H
I live in Houston

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What is the size and serial number?

In the early 1970s, the Howards were made for Baldwin by Kawai and they were identical to the Kawais that carried the Kawai name. If this is one from that vintage, they can be very good pianos. But at that age, you would have to have a tech examine it very carefully. The piano's value as an instrument is a function of how it has been maintained over time.

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
It's a great price but don't expect it to be in top shape. At least it hasn't been played much so there should be lots of life left once a technician brings it back to performance spec.

B
BDB Offline
B
This one? It is more than 40 years old, maybe twice that age. I would not recommend it.

Semipro Tech

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Originally Posted by BDB
This one? It is more than 40 years old, maybe twice that age. I would not recommend it.

BDB - Just curious - why are you so certain that the instrument is more than 40 years old. How can you tell??

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
B
BDB Offline
B
40 years ago, Howard grands were made by Kawai. The picture is not one of them.

Semipro Tech
H
OP Offline
H
I went to see the piano today. The owner bought the piano from H & H Music store in 5/1996 for $2360 and the receipt stated that it is a Howard Baldwin. However, the piano itself do not have a name stamp or any marking indicating the brand/model/serial number at all. Nothing to indicate what it could be. For the little that I know of piano, it seems that the keys work and some are noticeably off tune. So i have a couple of questions:

1. Is it worth it still to have a piano technician come to assess what it is/worth or condition?
2. Am I hindering my children's learning with this inexpensive unknown baby grand? I thought that this might be an ok starter for the next year or so to make sure that my kids stick with the lessons. Perhaps I can give it away if I can't sell it when they are serious about the lessons.

Thank you everyone for all your input and help!!

B
BDB Offline
B
Just forget about this one. Even giving it away would probably be a problem. If you want a starter piano at this price, get a newer studio upright. You will probably be able to find one with a little patience.

Semipro Tech

Online Content

Originally Posted by BDB
40 years ago, Howard grands were made by Kawai. The picture is not one of them.

You certainly have an excellent "eye" - but given what you do for a living I'm not surprised !! grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Howard,Hamilton,Monach,Ellington etc.were stencils for Baldwin's lower line pianos."Product of Baldwin". They were not of Baldwin's artist level series so...putting out the eventual obvious big $$$ for full restoration of that piano doesn't really make sense. The only exception to the rule is that of a family heirloom /sentimental value. You don't even own it so I guess it doesn't fall into that category. Follow BDB's advice and search out for a newer preowned studio uprt or asian continental console for that under 1K pricepoint.

It is obvious that piano in the pic was an oldie because of the vintage "boston fallboard" They are double hinged and fold over twice. No modern piano manufacturer has utilized that design in the last 70 or 80 years. I get those type pianos for free if I pay for the move.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
Seems like there are a lot of so-called Baldwins out there that are not really Baldwins...

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/2338017464.html

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
P
halfpint (is that a Laura Ingalls reference?) I'm in Houston and would like to have a chance to help if I can. My info is found below...

Jim Calvert
Fort Bend Music Center - Houston,TX
Kawai and Shigeru Kawai dealer
jim@ftbendmusic.com
H
OP Offline
H
Thank you everyone for all your marvelous input. I definitely think that i will keep on looking. My actual budget is actually around $2500, but i would try to keep under $2000 if i can. I am just so grateful that i ran across with website with so many knowledgeable and wonderful people that would offer helpful advice to a beginner like myself. BDB, thank you so much for that keen eye. I live in Sugar Land area so I definitely need help from Jim. I will send an email to you. I may need additional help later on from all of you with my next piano quest. Once again, thank you.

*** Halfpint is what my high school teacher used to call me because of my petite size!!

B
BDB Offline
B
I was not certain whether you might be interested in a vertical piano, but if you are, these are worth considering:
If you do not mind white.
If you prefer black.

Semipro Tech
Originally Posted by Halfpint
*** Halfpint is what my high school teacher used to call me because of my petite size!!

Interesting forum name, Halfpint!

A quick little story about my family history… (and a true story).

My grandfather, on my mother’s side, was a notorious moonshiner in west central Georgia back in the day. My mother has told me many stories of her childhood and surviving as a “moonshiner’s daughter”. She said her dad used to make the moonshine in a barn in the woods behind their house; and, he sold the moonshine out of the house. She said if anyone knocked on the door, her little brothers would run and open the door and ask the visitor if they wanted to buy a shot or a pint! I don’t think they sold halfpints… laugh

Guess we all have a few skeletons in our family closet. smile

Good luck finding just the right piano!!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
H
OP Offline
H
Good evening, everyone.

Rickster - thank you for sharing the story; however, i don't think i know what a moonshine is. Please enlighten me.

BDB - i did look at the black baldwin but it was sold. i am extremely hesitant about the white (it looks to retro or something). i don't think i can get myself to purchase a white piano.

*** I do need help regarding these two:

1.http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/2302883431.html

price = $1600

i am confused because the owner said the "mode" not model on label said something about PE UP118M but i can't find that model number for Henry Miller piano. i found something similar in a Boston or Pearl River.

he also gave me another number which i assume is the serial number 0876137 ---- i can't this either.

OR

2. http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/2340148297.html

Henry Miller studio upright $2900 - price includes delivery and tuning

Are any of these would be a good deal? Thank you for any input. Happy Easter!!

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
The first one seems ok. The second one seems over priced. Usually they add legs with the full toe block for the nicer models (118cm and above). Pearl River makes Henry Miller. The first one seems like a better piano for less money compared to the second. You'll just have to play it to see if you like it.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
With regard to the second small console piano you just listed, just one little point of information (assuming it is a used piano): Those sorts of pianos can be had new for under $3000 from various brands. They can be suitable for a beginner, and can be surprisingly decent (considering the size and price) if the dealer does a little prep work with them (tuning and adjusting things prior to sale, preferably in-store).

Of course, there are potentially nice but used uprights out there in the 2-3k range also. You have to do a little more work to find one (like hiring a tech to check the piano out, just to be sure there aren't expensive problems/repairs needed). Good luck!

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission