2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
Are there any piano chairs with back support?

I currently use a classic piano bench, and it is very difficult for me to keep a good posture without a back support. I know I am supposed to sit straight without support, but I have chronic fatigue, and need to be able to sit back and relax every once in a while during the practice to prevent myself from exhaustion.

Would computer chair be ok to use or it needs to be sturdier?

Will appreciate any feedback.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I use a chair. It's fine, just don't slouch and keep good posture and position.

C
C
There is a adjustible piano chair I just saw for sale on Craigslist in the Seattle listing. Might want to check it out.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think anything without arms would be fine. I used to use a dining room chair to support my back. For some reason I no longer experience back pain at the piano, though (at least no more so than anywhere else), so I've returned to the bench. I would not want the chair to recline, though. grin

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Well, yes:

http://www.dlarch.com/Temp-attetude.html

...but I doubt that's what you had in mind....

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
This is the traditional design. If you do a Google search, the best way is to look at images, and you will find a number of people who offer various versions. This was the first one that came up for me.

Semipro Tech
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Rich Galassini at Cunningham Piano Company came up with a piano chair for my uncle, who needed back support when playing the piano. You might want to check with Rich about where he got it. My uncle loves it, by the way; he plays 4-5 hours a day, and the chair works perfectly.

A
A
Even with a straight backed chair, one can still slouch if not focused on an erect sitting posture. And then even more, slouching invariably increases with fatigue.

As an alternative I prefer a lumbrosacral support to brace the lumbar spine and deter the sorts of back rounding. Specifically, I favor a lightweight padded nylon “weightlifting” belt typically found at a local sporting goods store that is stiff enough to slightly increase intra-abdominal pressure and to prevent the lower torso from “folding in.” Make sure that it primarily covers the waist rather than the hips. Be careful not to choose a purely elastic belt that lacks a degree of stiffness as that type will be useless.

The rational for wearing a belt when sitting is that the intra-abdominal pressure increases as your abdominal structures share more of the compression load with the spinal stabilization muscles. Remember, that lower back support is dependent on both para-spinal and abdominal muscles. Often, the state of the abdominals are overlooked in regards to lower back stability. During sitting, both lower back and abdominal muscles contract to stabilize the lumbar spine.

I started using a quick-release thick leather belt during the competitive bodybuilding squat & dead-lift years, and then started using thinner nylon supportive belts with Velcro closure for non-lifting activities. I’ve been using belts for 20+ years when sitting for long periods be it at the piano, while at work or when traveling long distances. On a long trip I won’t leave home without one.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I wrote a lengthy post earlier today but I guess I didn't Submit it.

Just because you're looking for a chair for your piano doesn't mean it has to be a piano chair per se.

I'm in the market for a new chair since I cannot buy a replacement gas cylinder for my more than 20 year old office chair. (I've learned a lot of information in the last week regarding repairing and replacing parts on office type chairs.)

At any rate, office chairs come in many shapes and sizes. I'm now looking for a mesh type chair with a high back. Don't rule out office chairs for piano use; they're very comfortable and infinitely adjustable. The chair arms on just about every single office chair can easily be removed (or you can even order chairs without arms and save some money).

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dwain Lee

Well, yes:

http://www.dlarch.com/Temp-attetude.html

...but I doubt that's what you had in mind....

That is the most ridiculous piece of furniture I've seen in quite some time.

Cary Rogers, PharmD
San Francisco, CA
1887 Knabe 6'4" (Rebuilt)

A
A
Originally Posted by Myster Keys

If one sits on the forward 1/4 of the seat the straight back will not touch the body unless one is leaning far backwards. And if one is sitting back to utilize the chair's back the legs and thighs mobility will be hampered.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
drum thrones with backrests provide lots of flexibility, e.g.:

[Linked Image]

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Just like Dave Horne I was using an office chair, without arms, but it had wheels. I looked at getting a drum throne with back, but balked at the metallic 'rock' designs. Then there was another thread on adjustable piano chairs and I was off, until I saw the prices. Ridiculously high IMHO.

I ended up, just like someone else on this thread with a dining chair. I tried quite a few, but it's smart, matches my (digital piano) and was one time user adjustable when I got it home. Oh, and a LOT cheaper than a so called piano chair.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am currently using a Roc-N-Soc drum throne that I got at guitar center. Here's a link to their page at Roc-N-Soc:

http://www.rocnsoc.com/lunar-series.html

It is the red throne at the top of the page.

I am using the "LSG" "O-K" seat with the "W/B" backrest. Very comfortable. I have a bad back right now (I threw it out a week ago) and this is helping me to cope.

Last edited by HwyStar; 04/18/11 06:39 PM.

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
My old teacher for the longest period of time had a chair that could not only ajust height, but slope as well. One of her students broke it, but I would love to have someone make me one that could do that.

Working On:
Beethoven-32 Variations in C minor
Beethoven- Opus 109
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M

I am currently undergoing Phys Therapy for an upper back issue (Rhomboid strain). When I sit at the piano for more than 15 mins I get an excrutiating burning pain. Part of it is due to having my arms in a somewhat static position of 90 degree bend for a sustained period.
So, I am wondering why not use an office type chair with adjustable arm rests? As long as just the elbows rest on the chair it should not be too intrusive and as mentioned above, most office chairs these days have multiple adjustments.

Thoughts?

Started Playing May 2010 at 51 yrs old, Some Self Learning, Lessons X 3yrs
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Cobra, when you play the piano, if someone were to flip your hand\wrist up and away from the keyboard in one swift move, would your arm fly away or be locked in place to the keyboard?

I only mention this to rule out incorrect gross technique ... using the correct set of muscles. If your arm flies away, great, if it doesn't that could be the source of many problems.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Dave,
Thanks for the feedback. I've only been playing since May of last year and am mainly self taught. So, there are probably A LOT of Gross techniques! I have only recently started getting some assistance from a co-worker that used to do some instruction (mainly children). She has mentioned that I tend to sit too close to the piano.
I'd like to think My hands/arms are not that rigid, but I will check tonight when I sit down to practice!
Again, thanks for the suggestions and I will try to look for that inconsistency!
Cheers
Mike

Started Playing May 2010 at 51 yrs old, Some Self Learning, Lessons X 3yrs
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission