2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 41 of 75 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 74 75
Where’s Undone?

He’s gone on vacation, but will be back in about a week.

Undone.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A Classy Rag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTzEgYFk8PQ

This one took me a while. Let me know what you think!

Waltz

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Undone
Thanks for reposting that JF. I was reading this thread back when that was originally discussed and had meant to “keep a mental note” of its existence for later reference. My “mental notes” aren’t what they used to be, so having it summarized and reposted is very helpful.

Undone

Undone - You're welcome - I thought it might be helpful & useful.

Sorry it took me so long to respond - my wife and I were on vacation for most of the last two weeks in big, beautiful Maine, slowly driving along the coast from one harbor town to another, and ending in the resort of Bar Harbor on Mt. Desert Island (along with Acadia National Park) - an amazingly gorgeous trip!

Didn't touch a piano once on the trip and strangely didn't miss it - I used to worry about being away from it, but I've learned during previous vacations that you don't lose much at all in terms of skill and technique (such as they are) and that after a day or two of "getting the rust off" you are pretty much back to where you were.

Waltz - real good job on "Classy" & thanks for you kind comments on my version in the September Piano Bar.

JF

Edited to add that I'll be picking up where I left off - in the middle of "Blue Rondo", a somewhat interesting piece...

Last edited by John Frank; 09/22/09 10:08 AM.

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks JF!!!

Sounds like you had a nice vacation, glad to hear it smile

[Linked Image]
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
JF, I was in Maine for about three weeks as well, didn't practice, but suffered greatly for it when I got back. After about a week back, I'm finally getting into it again. My mental and muscle memories are just not what they used to be. But the funny thing is, today my teacher and I started working some stride piano into the ballads I'm playing and I found that the stride piano I had learned as a teenager was still in the system. The mind is amazing.

JF, I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Maine. It is a beautiful place and the people are so real and so friendly. It's nice to have you back.

Bob

Aspiring Retirement Home Lounge Pianist
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by OldFingers

JF, I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Maine. It is a beautiful place and the people are so real and so friendly. It's nice to have you back.

Bob

Bob - good to hear from you again, and hopefully we'll have the pleasure of your company more often in the future!

Just to go a little bit more OT, Maine is a beautiful place and the people are great - we started our driving trip at Kittery at the southern end and ended it at Bar Harbor a couple of hundred miles to the north, but actually went about 3 times as far because we drove down all the peninsulas that jut out into the ocean along the coast, visting Ogunquit, Kennebunkport, Cape Elizabeth, Portland, Freeport, Brunswick, Bath, Boothbay Harbor, Pemaquid Point, Port Clyde, Stonington, Rockland, Camden, Belfast, Searsport, Castine and Ellsworth (among others) - it's awesome country! But there's much more to it - the regions to the east, north and the mountain/lake region to the west (which we'll see on our next trip up that way from PA).

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Anyone got a recording of Star Spangled Banner? Not growing up in the US means this one is for sure kicking my ass laugh

Thanks
SC

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TTigg
Anyone got a recording of Star Spangled Banner? Not growing up in the US means this one is for sure kicking my ass laugh

Thanks
SC

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?

Oh Lord! Is that really a piece we have to learn in A3? I tried a google search but I couldn't find an Alfred's version of it. Here is a random piano version on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET2lFcDy1f4

Don't know if that's helpful though.
I did not know you weren't born in America. Where were you born?

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Waltz,

That helps a little. I was born & raised in Oxford England. I moved here in 2000 with my wife (who's American) after our wedding in an old coach house..

I had a good lesson, I've got the basics of it down now, just need to polish it up so I'll be on it for another week. Then it'll be back to the Prelude in C smile

How's it going with you?

SC

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm all right I guess. My teacher has me doing a lot of pieces and other things, so I'm kind of diluted. For example, I haven't exactly finished with the first movement of Clementi's Sonatina 36/1 and she already has me working on the second movement. In Alfred's, ironically, I'm working on Clementi's Prelude in D (which is pretty). I am also doing a Bach Minuet, and this really simplistic, but kind of annoying, Haydn piece. I'm having fun though, so things are fine. I had no idea you were from England! I had once considered doing my post graduate medical training there, but the process is very convoluted and involved. I still have an interest in moving there for some period of time, some day (perhaps never, but I can always hope). California is very, very far from England, I'm sure that's been tough, being so far away. Yet, I have always felt it to be brave and admirable to take on changes with a sense of adventure and possibility.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Glad to see you're keeping busy. I also wonder what's happened to PianoAlex, we've overtaken him now (videos that is). Yeah moving here was great and it's fun but I do sometimes (often) very much miss part of England.

I could think of nothing better to do (for example) on Sunday then spend some time with family & friends at the local carvery eating a big Sunday type lunch. then just chill on the lawn (grass) of the establishment until it was time to head back to the village smile

SC

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

I have been really impressed with some of the pieces here from Book Three. I really underestimated the Alfred Books after buying Book 1. However, since its my birthday on Wednesday I asked my wonderful wife to buy me Books Two and Three. Can't wait to get into 'A Classy Rag' and 'Shenandoah'.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
There is a lot of good stuff in the back part of #2 and some great stuff in #3. #1 was more of just an introduction, basics and some good ground level theory etc.. Glad you're enjoying them mate thumb

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ragtime Clown

I have been really impressed with some of the pieces here from Book Three. I really underestimated the Alfred Books after buying Book 1. However, since its my birthday on Wednesday I asked my wonderful wife to buy me Books Two and Three. Can't wait to get into 'A Classy Rag' and 'Shenandoah'.

Welcome. I think the first few pieces aren't so great, but they're kind of easy as well. Fandango is nice. But, starting with Haydn's Serenade, things are really taken up a notch in both piece qaulity and challenge. Be sure to post your thoughts and progress here, as well as recordings if you wish smile

[Linked Image]
I’m back. It sounds like “up north” has been the vacation spot of choice. I wasn’t in Maine, but Vermont is close enough.

Waltz – Great job on “A Classy Rag”!

Undone

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Undone - welcome back! How did you like Vermont? My wife & I toured there a couple of years ago and really liked it a lot.

What are you currently working on?

I just finished "Blue Rondo" (a somewhat interesting piece) and just started "Shenandoah" (the beautiful, old folk tune).

I've just decided that I'm not going to work my way thru Book 3 piece by piece (as I did with 1 & 2) - instead I'm only going to do the more interesting & challenging pieces (including several in the "Ambitious Section") - this is primarily because I'm working in several other sources and the pieces in these are for the most part more musically demanding and satisfying - this was my ultimate goal anyway, but I'll just be moving there sooner than planned - the "extra" stuff I'm working on includes Classical, New Age and standards from the Great American Songbook, and it's incresingly pulling me in that direction (not to mention requiring more practice time).

But I'll still be here for some time to come - so fear not (unless that's what you were afraid of laugh ).

JF

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Undone smile . Glad you had a nice vacation. I bet Vermont is beautiful this time of year.

[Linked Image]
Vermont was exactly what we were looking for in the way of a vacation spot just now: peaceful, quite, and serene. The foliage was changing but about a week or two away from peak.

Now that I’m back, I’m close to finishing up with Bach’s Prelude in C Major (still need to make copies of the music so I can avoid the page turn), and “Swan Lake”. Two great pieces.

JF - It seems a lot of people are slowly (or not so slowly) drawn to other sources once they hit book three, and it’s certainly true that “there’s just so much practice time in the day”. I wish you well on your move to “all Nevue all the time”. smile

Undone

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Undone

JF - It seems a lot of people are slowly (or not so slowly) drawn to other sources once they hit book three, and it’s certainly true that “there’s just so much practice time in the day”. I wish you well on your move to “all Nevue all the time”. smile

Undone

grin My next Nevue piece will be my first Nevue piece! I actually enjoy far too many types of music (and composers) to ever be bogged-down with any "all fill-in-the-blank all the time" schedule of pieces (Nevue or otherwise) smile

Glad to hear you like "Swan Lake" too - one of my favorites in Book 3 so far. I looked ahead in 3 and tentatively could see maybe 6 or 7 more pieces in the regular section I might want to work on yet - and maybe 2 or 3 in the Ambitious Section.

JF

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I finally gave myself the pass on Prelude in D Minor today. I liked the piece very much, being classical and somewhat dark, but I also had certain frustrations with it:

You are doing very similar motions with both the LH and the RH throughout the entire piece but playing different chords with slightly different intervals. This makes it very difficult to have proper "muscle memory", at least for me. The score is difficult in giving the player "quick reminders", because it looks nearly the same throughout (albeit with different chords etc.). Well, then, our old pal sight reading may have use! But, the piece circumvents that by having the RH playing many of the chords deep in the lower ledger lines, with which I am unfamiliar.

I feel the piece wasn't that difficult but for these reasons it took quit a while for me to really "pass" it and it added quite a bit of frustration.

[Linked Image]
Page 41 of 75 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 74 75

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission